In dwemers we trust

Basaltface

• Replies 205
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On to topic, however. The general Dwemer defisn has a combination of Persian, Greek, Egyptian and Mesopotamian artistic vibe, with more than a little steam-punk thrown in. There is also a focus on sharp, angular features rather than smooth surfaces.

I just want to point out that the Dwemer are actually more akin to the Sumerians or Babylonians (which would fall under Mesopotamian, yes). I find little resemblance of Persian, Greek or Egyptian artistic vibe. Just a little input. Not trying to be a jerk or anything :P

Oh, now its on :P

The characteristic style of statuary found in Morrowind is largely reminicent of Persian and Egyptian. The coin stamping and the scroll work on much of the Skyrim Dwemer constructs is highly reminicent of high-quality greko-roman styles. The inner workings of many Dwemer machines also seems to be a direct attempt at coppying the Antikithera mechanism, which was Greek. The design of the Orery is also reminicent of Greek and Persian astro-labs.

The overall archetectural design in Morrowind was more Persian. Now there is a definate Babylonian style to it, completed by the carved Sumerian style facial plaques.

That said, the physical dress and appearance of the Dwemer, as portrayed in Morrowind, lends its self more to the Persian/Egyptian priesthood.

@huntsman2310: lol, glad i could help ya a little :).

Just checked it out and it works almost perfect, there are some minor issues the spine seems to "float" arround.. but that can be fixed with a quick job in blender.

I guess i keep out of the "style discussion" here XD.

Edited by Basaltface

Just my 2cents on some potential equipments, I find the crossbow that Varric used in Dragon Age 2 interesting. Also the Dwarven steel golems from Dragon Age could be a sweet piece of tech to add in the Dwemer Armorry dont u think?

Here are some pics

http://images4.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20101120203842/dragonage/images/e/e0/Varric_battle.jpg

http://images.wikia.com/dragonage/images/c/cb/Runic_golem.png

All you have to do is change the theme colour and taadah.

@ededed117: agreed.. thats some interresting golem over here, also that crossbow got a good potential :)

I will think about the wood elements of the crossbow when i come to the first wooden parts..such as quivers and some traps..and it seems i need to play dragon age, looks interresting.

I have a suggestion about how to model the Golem, say you take the pieces that make up the Steam Centurion and Rearrange them onto a squatter, more solid form. Could even combine your Thug Centurion with it.

Oh yeah, I made a helm that I thought would suit the Chief Tonal Architect himself.

Its a pretty big and ostentatious hat.

Well I seem to have lost the model, I'll make another and post a pic tommorow.

Edited by huntsman2310

the thug´s head is a mix between the common steam centurio head and the gatekeeper helmed from oblivion that i re- textured with some quick work. The gatekeeper also was so kind to donate the mace arms for the thug, and they fit pretty good on it. I also enlarged the thugs upper body and pauldrons and placed some nice spikes on it Atm i build arround on a "loincloth", some chains to wrap arround the limbs and neck and a nice set of bull horns, then the thug should be done.. except the skeleton issue and the urge to give it axes instead of maces that it got atm lol.

If i get the animation to work correctly..ill put a vid here.

Feel free to continune to post your stuff here huntsman2310 :)

So here is Kagrenac's helm.

All I did was take the head from a Sphere Centurion, but all in all, I like to think that the Sphere Centurions were designed in his likeness.

http://img713.imageshack.us/img713/613/shelm.th.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

All I have to do is figure a solution to the UV map going berserk and I'm golden. :thumbsup:

@Basaltface Peryite is sick. Totally underrated Prince IMO. He looks like a Dragon for gosh sakes.

However, according to lore the ENTIRE race were removed from the mortal plane, except for Yagrum Bagarn, because he was not on the mortal plane when Kagrenac touched the Heart of Lorkhan. Theories for where they went are varied and range from transcending onto the plane of the gods, traveling through time, returning to an "uncreated" spiritual state, and becoming part of the shell of Numidium, their god-machine that they were going to power with the Heart.

So, at least from my point of view, this means that only in undead or spirit form would any Dwemer beside Yagrum be encountered in 4E 201 (because Yagrum is immortal due to corprus). However, the nature of their disappearance does not necessarily keep a number of them from returning, for one reason or another. I'm sure you can think of circumstances that this could happen, but if your interested I have a few ideas.

I also have a great idea for the Peryite quest you mentioned, btw

Also, I was just curious if you would be using voice actors in your mods, as I have access to professional recording equipment and would be more than willing to help, as would a number of my friends, all of whom have amateur acting experience.

Edited by SnowElf

As something to add, i must ask... Did you ever play Tribunal?

If so, there are several Dwemer related things which could be added. Such as flaming weapons and explosives.

There are also varriations in style, which become notable when you look at Truflame and Heartsfire. Both were Dwemer made and given as wedding gifts to Almalexia and Nerevar by Dumac. You could look at them for some artistic inspiration, and if you were to make at least Trueflame i could gaurentee i would steal it later :P