Gibberish languages for Argonian, Khajiit, and Orc races?

cooltrickle

So in KOTOR they use the Force or whatever. In Skyrim your character is Dragonborn and thus has the soul of a dragon and can understand use Draconic. If somehow this was magicked so that dragons (thus Dragonborn) can interpret all of the mortal languages because of their being almost on par with the gods, this could work.

Okay that leaves the problem of everyone else in Skyrim, they aren't dragonborn and in Riften there is a Argonian female running a Tavern if I remember that correct, her not understanding the commonly spoke language would be like me opening up a pup in France without speaking a single word french. I couldn't even get the deed of the place let alone run it, the people would get sick very very fast with the whole "point at what you want and then use gestures to decide the price".

Yeah, I agree fully. On another point, why does it cost so much to hire a voice actor? Is there really such a thing as a professional voice actor? I mean, anyone can just say a few lines. It's just....talking. Seriously, you could just go gather up all of the team working on the game and say "Hey guys, come and say a few lines".

It would make the game a lot more immersive to play.

Because yes everyone can say a view line ... they will sound uninspired, lazy, of low quality and don't make you feel like it is that character at all. It is about giving that character personality, getting the little nuances of the voice right, intone it just right so you believe that is a 100 year old wizard, a goddess etc. and you have to get that consistent with emotions and over several lines. It is like acting everyone can go onto a stage, say his lines and move around but it takes time and effort to make it believable.

@race/species:

Well I agree and disagree. I agree that most likely a lizard wouldn't be able to form English words with his mouth (I never have seen one try so I can't be 100% sure). But I disagree that the language they are speaking is English. Just like in a movie about ancient Greece the people aren't speaking Greece so we don't have to listen to gibberish, while reading subtitles I doubt that the language they are really using is english,german,french or whatever and I firmly believe that under such circumstances a language would have evolved(next to local dialects and languages), that allowed for some communication with each other by using noises that every race can make and understand.

Also even if we presume that they are speaking english, as far as I remember those races were created (Aedra or Daedra, can't remember) so it would be logical (if they wanted any kind of interaction within the different species) to give them somewhat similar abilities to speak. Otherwise, why not put them on different spheres/worlds anyway?

And last, the evolution or however you call it in Tamriel seems to be fast enough to transform the Ice Elfs into the Falmer which I think is a pretty impressive transformation so if they couldn't understand each other at the start they would most likely sooner or later adapt some ability to do so, in one way or another.

So in short I don't think that they races/species is really a problem seeing how long they have interacted with each other, sooner or later they would have found a way, since there are always a way to communicate and over time they would most likely have developed a language that every species can speak with relative ease.

Just going to through this out there. In one of the old MMO games, they literally translated what other races spoke into textual gibberish if you didn't understand that specific language skill. Intelligence governed your base language count, and how easy you could learn new languages. The more you "heard the language, the more you were able to pick it up and thus additional random letters would not get turned into other random characters. Eventually you got from not knowing what others were saying to starting out to possible make out the right words, to understanding 100% of the language. It REALLY added to the role playing aspect of the game. In that case, you must use subtitles. But I think it would be pretty cool to engage in someone I didn't know and try to figure out what they wanted me to do and potentially get it wrong if I was stupid enough to agree to something.

I agree that certain expectations should be in place, Nords, Bretons, etc,. should understand it other, Dark Elves and Wood Elves, then the khajit are on their on, as are the argonian. Then of course, certain NPCs would have expectedly high levels of language tranining for "common" if they lived in cities. And for that matter, could potentially "learn" your language too.

Such that two persons with limited knowledge of each others languages would have less jibberish in the subtext than ones having limited knowldge while the other knew nothing.

This could be a VERY cool idea if you intercept certain things to make it happen starting with the points between when the text for a response is chosen and rendered.

-MM

• 2 weeks later...

I think this is a great idea and i would love to see it in a TES game.

When it is done well it can add a lot of immersion and make adding new dialogue much easier.

Some of the people who dont like this idea dont seem to have any idea what the OP was talking about, see:

In Kotor it added to the realism, some characters could talk english and others couldnt, it allows you to add a lot more dialogue for minor characters without spending too much on voice acting.

The fact that everyone in Skyrim could speak english is a bit unrealistic and having some characters speak it poorly or not at all would be better.

I'm not so sure that two or three lines repeated over and over constitutes a language. In KOTOR, it was nice hearing it the first time or two, but it just got repetitive hearing the same couple lines again and again from every Rodian and Twi'lek that you came across.

lol the Ithorians had to be the worst. "blah blah blah ilfa" .. "blah bluh blah blah ilfa". :facepalm:

They could hire a linguist and create languages for all the races - like Star Trek.