Too many "realistic" mods... Please help!

TheCoryGuy

Hey all...

So I'm trying to create a "realistic combat experience". I think I can handle adding other things to add more immersion like fast travel tweak, item weights, etc...

Here's my dilemma... There are too many "balancing" mods to chose from, and most of them aren't accurate. I want to make combat more intense, with balanced weapon damages, armor soaking, etc...

My current issues are (with current mods):

- headshots are too overpowered. Not ALL headshots kill on the spot, especially with smaller calibers - ESPECIALLY when you're wearing a helmet (mod: Better Locational Damage)

- Combat damages are inconsistent. Sometimes a ghoul can beat on me for 10 minutes while an attack dog can kill me in a few hits (mod: Arbitration, increased player and enemy damage).

- Larger calibers aren't penetrating how they should be.

I just need some help. What do you use for combat immersion? What can I do?! I want to have a reason to sneak into battle, to have enemies plan their attacks better, and to plan attacks accordingly.

Thanks in advance!!!!!!!!!!!

You can make a mod to make your ideal "realistic combat experience" a reality... Sort of.

"Headshot are overpowered". I think getting shot in the head can instantly kill someone. Helmets have vulnerable spots too.

I don't know the first thing about modding, and I'm someone who if I make mods the game will no longer be fun.

As for getting shot in the head... Smaller calibers often "graze the skull" from a distance. In VATS I can use a small caliber pistol and headshot someone from 20 yards away. It's not a guarantee every time in real life.

Edited by TheCoryGuy

Problem with such things is that it causes domino effects. To properly differentiate between calibers so that half kill instantly with headshots and the other half doesn't if there's a helmet, you'd need to change a bunch of variables like damage per bullet, changing damage resistances or tresholds on helmets that could realistically stop a bullet, which leads to inconsistencies amongst weapons and armours and balancing issues, etc.

True realism is extremely hard to achieve if that wasn't the original intent of the game developer. You'll inevitably have to just suspend your belief for certain things like locational damage. Personally I prefer: normal damage on chest, high damage multiplier on head, very low damage on arms and legs but very easily crippled.

Edited by Wunderbot

scroll to picture then just below that, it deals with receiver and munitions ideas (it's a thread I made)
https://forums.nexusmods.com/index.php?/topic/4875795-the-fallout-mod-i-intend-to-make-mfga/

http://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/19377/?
okay, so now you have this, this kinda looks like it'll try to do some of the things

FROST is AMAZING. from what I hear, haven't played it myself yet lol, made by the guy who made DUST, survival simulator, not a quest game... survival...
http://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/18898/?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8kzSrhsiG84

the main issue revolving around balancing fallout properly without making it a super duper headshot simulator is that there's too many upgrades
think about it, differences in gameplay are the result of differences and distinctions, it's almost like a statistical thing, or at least an argument for homogeneity through too many options to get the same results is similar to how if you flip a coin more often than not you'll get mixed results even though technically each outcome or set of outcomes H/H/T/T or T/T/T/T or H/H/H/H or T/T/H/H (heh see why now?) has the exact same chance to occur as the others (there's more outcomes where the end result is a mix than not, so it kinda does the bell curve effect)

what this means in english is that if you have 3 ways to increase damage, then the game if it only has one way to increase health and survivability or two ways, will be meh
if you do things like create cost/benefits to the various ways of dealing damage then their usefulness becomes contextualized, dependent on the situation, this is what makes gameplay.... different!
to that extent one can nerf almost entirely the health gained per level, and then keep damage near static, relying on the introduction of new guns to improve one's lethality, similar in a way to how doom starts you with a pistol, then a shotgun, gattling gun, rocket launcher, plasma rifle (laser machine gun basically) and then BFG 9000 (fatboy MIRV that doesn't hurt you basically)

just some thoughts on it, the devil as always is in the details (I still haven't finished but I'm getting closer, phew I'm slow at finishing this game, once done I'll start on my mod)

Edited by tartarsauce2