Skyrim instantly crashes on save - please help!!

habaar

That's more or less the same thing that happens when your character dies. A saved game is loaded from within an active game. Double loading may be the solution. It's less traumatic than virtual suicide.

Awesome work around....worked perfect for me!!!

thanks guys.....

update this was only a temperary fix and still crashes upon saves every now and then...

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's more or less the same thing that happens when your character dies. A saved game is loaded from within an active game. Double loading may be the solution. It's less traumatic than virtual suicide.

Awesome work around....worked perfect for me!!!

thanks guys.....

update this was only a temperary fix and still crashes upon saves every now and then...

ok final update this has worked for me with out issue on 7 auto saves and 3 quick saves: thanks to Ignacio on Skyrim Forums!

I KNOW HOW TO FIX IT! EASY! It requires no mod disabling, .inf changing, save deleting, NOTHING. I fixed it IN-GAME. This is what I did:

1. Load an older save (as long as it doesn't have CTD on save glitch, then load it) (used Wrye Bash to figure this out)

2. Create a NEW save (through pause menu)

3. Type in player.kill

4. Load your latest save (the one that had CTD glitch)

5. Type in player.kill

6. Try saving (I usually just use quicksave)

Your save will most likely be fixed, it worked for me on first try.

Edited by chubrock

I have the nsame problem. except I have skyrim 1.9 and I've never had any of the mods listed previously that supposedly cause the problem. I have between 60 and 70 mods and I just recently restarted. how do I fix the problem? it happens no matter what way I try to save, and it happens on earlier saves. what do I do?

• 7 months later...

Bumping this because I'm having the crash on save issue and the fix doesn't seem to work for. I've tried it multiple times but it still CTD on save. Maybe I'm doing it wrong?

I load an earlier save (I even loaded one from a level 1 character still in Helgen keep), create a new save from the menu then type player.kill. Then I load my CTD save before the death animation is completed and once more type player.kill, then I let the death animation play and the game auto loads my save. Game still crashes! Help, I've spent so much time on this character I don't want to lose it!

• 2 months later...

Hi. I just wanted to share my experience of crash on save. I used some Steam's mods but most of my mods were from Nexus. I had random CTD which I was not able to fix. Last week I added some mods from Nexus (that shouldn't cause a problem) and I bought Dawnguard and Dragonborne DLC from Steam (I already had Heartfire). I also replaced several Steam mod with their Nexus counterpart. BTW I was using Nexus Mod Manager (NMM).

After, I was not able to play since I got crashes (CTD) everytime I wanted to save the game (full save, quick save, autosave, name them).

I add tried about everything I couldto solve it:

- Reload old saves: they all crashed

- Cleaning all files with TES5edit :no change

- Cleaning save games (with that savegame cleaner I don't remember the exact name, but anywayI had tried every option available): no change

- Unticked all plugins but the main game and DLC: no change

- Disabled all mods: no change.

- Tried the following method, but unusable since I didn't have any save game that worked (and I had save games that dated before my last changes)

1. Load an older save (as long as it doesn't have CTD on save glitch, then load it) (used Wrye Bash to figure this out)
3. Type in player.kill
5. Type in player.kill

- I cleaned Steam's cache for that game, got 5 files that Steam update/corrected: same problem

- Then I decided to manually clean my game folder. Even though I had deleted Steam mods from the launcher and unsubscribed for all my Steam mods, I found some leftovers esp which I deleted plus Interesting NPC (3dnpc) folders and files which remained there because this mod didn't come form Steam and didn't allow installation from NMM. Since then, I am now able to load all my save games. Yes! No need to start over (at least not at this point :-)!.

• 2 months later...

Though this is an old page, and people would probably have either started new games, or fixed their problem via other means, I'll post this anyway.

A quick and easy way to permanently fix this is the following (assuming you have at least 1 save where you don't have this problem present):

- The problem seems to be the saving process of the game. I've tried many things - none of them worked for me - to solve this, so I'm absolutely positive about this fact.

- First, you want to install the Autosave Manager: http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/34842/?

This mod creates saves which never have the save=CTD problem for me. NEVER.

- Now, deactivate ALL the game's saving mechanisms, and configure ASM through the MCM menu.

- From now on, depending on how you configured it (I have it on 12 Incremental saves, 5 minutes interval, which makes up for a detailed timelist of my last hour of gameplay), you'll have plenty of clean saves. At least that's my experience anyway.

I also did some extensive testing - first, I had a Hard Save, where the problem didn't happen. Then a quicksave, where it was alredy present (loaded her up, try to make another Hard Save, instant CTD), and waited for ASM to save it for me in the apparently buggy state. I loaded up the ASM save. Quicksave - NO PROBLEMS. Re-loaded the previous save (the apparently buggy one, which was made BEFORE the ASM save) now. Quicksaved. Instant CTD. Loaded up the Quicksave which was made after loading the ASM save, and Quicksaved - no problem, kploxthxbye.

Repeated such processes for 4 hours. ASM saves always worked without any problems whatsoever.

Another option: if the save error is related to a specific zone or area, just do the process after using the console to CoC to some other location (f.e. Riverwood). That should do the trick.

This does require SKSE, but honestly - who plays Skyrim without SKSE anyway? :D

Edited by RpR1337

• 3 weeks later...

I am facing this same problem and installed Autosave Manager. It worked at first, but then the problem happened again.

I then tried the solution that seems to be working for most people (but still kept Autosave manager installed and all vanilla saving options disabled):

3. Type in player.kill
5. Type in player.kill
For some odd reason the player.kill command was not working. My character would fall to the ground and then get up again. Sometimes, he would get up but wasn't able to move. His neck was tilted to the right and he would just stand there. So, instead of using this command, I just attacked a guard and let him kill me. The process worked and I was able to save again on my last problematic save file (near Valtheim Towers).
I then walked to Whiterun and into Jorrvaskr. Talked to Aela to complete a mission and then talked to Kodlak so he would give me the mission to kill Glenmoril Witches. When I was about to leave his room, I got and infinite loading screen (ILS) while transitioning from the bedrooms area to the main hall. I reset the game, repeated the process and managed to get to the main hall, only to be surprised by another ILS while trying to exit to Whiterun. I then reset the game again and loaded the file I saved using the steps on the list above. When I tried to quicksave, the game crashed.
This all makes me wonder if my save file isn't getting too big. I once had my items dropped in chests, but I modded my carryweight to over 10,000 and now I carry everything with me (it's a ton of stuff). My .ess save files are all around 29.000 KB, while the .skse counterparts vary from 25KB, 250KB all the way up to 700KB. Is that normal?
EDIT: I am on level 57 and have around 190 plugins installed.
Edited by Avastgard

• 2 months later...

I believe that I can confirm that player.kill deal with the problem.
I have also found how to check that:
1.PDTWrapper - it in my case, showed from 200 to 300 script instances that had no class definitions.
2.Choose player.kill, save new game - repeat few times.
3.Check PDTWrapper - close to none scripts of that type. After that, I had no more signs of the problem.

I belive that we somehow cause the problem, because each time I died before that, I was using load on my own without allowing game to do this for me. It seems that some scripts get erased only after auto-load.

Edited by CzarnySamael