⚠ Known Issue: Media on User Profiles ×

Skyrim instantly crashes on save - please help!!

habaar

DO u mean to disable the autosave? but then still u cant save not even normally.

no, set f5 to f4. after that, play the game 1-2 hours, then you set f5 again.

This issue affects not only the Quick Save but also the auto save, normal save via the menu option, as well as saving using the console command. The save function actually does create a tmp save file. This indicates that the functionality itself runs correctly, however the save process is not completed for some reason.

I seriously do not believe that simply changing the config from F5 to F4 and then back to F5 resolves this issue. It definitelly more complex than that.

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

DO u mean to disable the autosave? but then still u cant save not even normally.

no, set f5 to f4. after that, play the game 1-2 hours, then you set f5 again.

This issue affects not only the Quick Save but also the auto save, normal save via the menu option, as well as saving using the console command. The save function actually does create a tmp save file. This indicates that the functionality itself runs correctly, however the save process is not completed for some reason.

I seriously do not believe that simply changing the config from F5 to F4 and then back to F5 resolves this issue. It definitelly more complex than that.

Mine's crashes only on quicksave, but i wanna help if it works

• 1 month later...

I was having a problem with CTD upon save, even F5. Disabled mods, gradually brought back, etc. Did notice corrupted .tmp files were showing up in saved game folder. I was getting frustrated. :wallbash: Even started out a new character but once I went to Dimhollow, Dawnstar DLC and found Serana it seemed at some point the CTD when tried to save would happen. So I started trying things to bypass this situation.

I still have occasional CTD problems, but I found a way around this, quite by accident. I was in a CTD upon save mode and I was in the middle of a battle, giants, bandits and decided to let myself die. After the game reloaded I tried to do a F5 save then a regular save and the game DID NOT CTD. Now when I face this problem I let myself die. You can console in giants or dragons to die or keep a supply of jarrin root in your inventory. Depending upon your level of health it might take 1-5 to expire... game reloads and you should be able to save from this point on. And you can keep most mods in place.

Hope this helps! :teehee:

That's the same thing that happened in one of the earlier Bethesda games, Oblivion or Fallout. Getting killed seemed to solve the saving problem. But you don't need a dragon or anything. You can just kill yourself with the "kill" console command. You could start each gaming session off by killing your character, then doing a test save to make sure it will be successfull. Not the most elegant solution, but it worked. Edited by blitzen

Nice one, this is really weird though! However, I have reinstalled my game and started anew. Now I run over 200 mods (long live Wrye Bash!) and so far I did not come across this problem. Mind you, I'm only level 20 or so, haven't got that much time for gaming lately.

Shall I ever encounter this issue again I will ensure to try your solution.

@blitzen - I like your way of describing things: "Not the most elegant", I lolled at this point :)

Peace out, good job, and thanks for sharing :)

It has been awhile since I had the issue, but I thought I would tell you of a quick fix I had. If you load the game TWICE, it tends to work. No clue why, but if you load the save file, then load it up again (not via quickload, btw) it doesn't give you any more issues til you restart Skyrim.

• 3 weeks later...

Greetings!

Ok, guys. I have the same problem - ctds on a save. This happens after the specific moment : well... I have to make a spoiler, so you understand, what am I talking about. You must have finished Vaermina anyway... after awakening from the vision and beholding the sparkling soul gem I am unable to save any longer.What's this about? Why this moment? Help!

Returning on a previous save works. But I want this quest done, right?

Double load didn't work.

Suicide didn't work.

31-days waiting didn't work.

Never had anything like that before... Never done this quest before.

Greetings!

Ok, guys. I have the same problem - ctds on a save. This happens after the specific moment : well... I have to make a spoiler, so you understand, what am I talking about. You must have finished Vaermina anyway... after awakening from the vision and beholding the sparkling soul gem I am unable to save any longer.What's this about? Why this moment? Help!

Returning on a previous save works. But I want this quest done, right?

Double load didn't work.

Suicide didn't work.

31-days waiting didn't work.

Never had anything like that before... Never done this quest before.

same there. after the vision by trinking the Vaerminas Turpor