Oblivion CTD when trying to change settings

ppetrushkov

So, I'm trying to run Oblivion on a netbook (yes, I'm mad, no, I don't have an option to run the game on a normal PC right now). The game runs, but it lags. I try to set texture size to "low" (I don't care about graphics), but the game crashes to desktop when I click "return". Apart from that, everuthing seems to work fine. The game's GOTY edition with the latest patch but without any mods or unofficial patches. Any suggestions?

Thanks!

MIS Wind U160MX

Intel Atom N570

DDRIII 2Gb RAM

Integrated graphic card Intel G3150

Windows 7 Starter

You could try checking what your Oblivion.ini is currently set for FullBrightLighting. Open the file Oblivion.ini which is found in the folder Users\[username]\Documents\My Games\Oblivion (NOT the file Oblivion_default.ini located in your game install Oblivion folder) and search for the line bFullBrightLighting. If it is currently bFullBrightLighting=0 change it to bFullBrightLighting=1 and then save your changes. The setting changes the global lighting to a less detailed method, mainly used for older video cards but it may help in the case of your Intel integrated graphics (which aren't really for gaming at all).

Hmm, I think you're really pushing that netbook, if the machine in your post is what you're using. You might want to check out Oldblivion (http://www.oldblivion.com/). It's meant to help Oblivion run on lower-spec PCs.

You may also want to check out http://www.uesp.net/wiki/Oblivion:Technical_Support#Crashes. I don't think there should be a permissions issue since the Oblivion.ini is usually in your documents directory.

ps. I would also recommend at least adding the Unofficial Oblivion Patch. I'm not sure if it would fix this but it's supposed to fix a ton of other bugs in the game. You may also want to look at a few performance mods, like OSR.

Thanks. I have successfully run Oblivion on a PC with worse gaming characteristics than this netbook back in 2006. Oldblivion crashes on launch this time, though.

I'll try the other recommendations and write back...