Expanded Dragons, Bigger Battles

Zinnorokkrah

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'll probably get the lord up over the weekend. Anyone know how to upload audio files onto the forum? I was thinking of doing some of this lord's dialogue myself and putting it up just so you can get an idea of what it will sound like.

Later: Found some new names for the dragon lords which are actually based in the lore- they are named in the Blades' "Atlas of Dragons" and are given territories. As such, I'll likely be including them.

Winterhold Dragon lord: Grahkrindrog [Translation: Battle Courageous Lord] Known for extreme ferocity and a great slaughter in the regions of Winterhold and Eastmarch according to the Baldes. Will be encountered in 'Dovahfeyn'. Likely going to be a Storm Dragon, or something similar.

Falkreath Dragon lord: Krahjotdaan [Translation: Cold Maw Doom] Perhaps a Frost Dragon? In any case, the Blades got the name from him personally. Whether that means they talked to him or just went and killed him and he mentioned his name while fighting is up for debate. Will be encountered in 'Dovahfeyn'.

The Rift Dragon lord: Odahviing [Translation: Winged Snow Hunter] Yes, I know he's already in-game, but perhaps a few encounters could be randomized should you attempt to root him out. In any case, if you do fight him here before his capture, you can't kill him. After you gain his allegiance, all dragons in the Rift should become friendly NPCs unless you do something hostile.

Eastmarch Dragon lord: Alduin [Translation: Destroy Devour Master] Yes, also in-game, also going to have randomized encounters should you try to root him out early.

Whiteshore Hold Dragon lord: Ahbiilok [Translation: Hunter Beauty (Translation of 'bii' unknown) Sky] Was hiding out in Morrowind for centuries after the Blades tried to kill him, all attempts failed. Likely tough as nails, crafty- mage archetype? In any case, will be encountered in 'Dovahfeyn'.

After this point, it is back to names and characters I have invented.

Haafingar Hold Dragon lord: Ahkrinaazmir [Translation: Courage Mercy Allegiance] The Dragon Lord you can choose to ally with. If you spare him he will help you in 'Dovahfeyn' and will be a companion afterwards. All dragons encountered in Haafingar afterwards will become friendly NPCs. Like Paarthrunax he will be able to train you to strengthen certain shouts, and he will probably teach you a good deal of dragon-lore through conversation options. Will probably be of help in the Civil War questline, lairing near Solitude will give him an acute interest in whose sitting on his doorstep potentially threatening his subjects. In any case, an all-around, honourable, nice guy- though he does get impatient with lack of knowledge, and will often go on like you understand even if you don't. DO NOT underestimate him though if he's backed up against a wall.

Whiterun Hold Dragon lord: Agboziikfel [Translation: Burn Bold Feral] Likely a warrior archetype, honourable, though very headstrong, and doesn't really count his foes as his equal- no matter who they are. Probably going to be a Fire Dragon.

Interesting fact- Mirmulnir survived the Blade crusade, and was actually hiding out in the Reach until Alduin returned, and as such, was never resurrected. I don't like the Blades that much, but I will say this for them, they were good record-keepers.

Edited by Zinnorokkrah

Alright, here's the newest lord, the draconic ruler of Haafingar- Ahkrirnaazmir. I'm envisioning his lair as being high up in the mountains, potentially in the ruins of Old Haafingar itself, the original settlement which eventually became the city of Solitude. I am currently writing up a script for his conversation with the player, and all its possible outcomes. I'll post when it's finished and anyone who's interested just PM me your email address and I'll send over the conversation document as well as the audio files. So, without further ado- here's Ahkirmaazmir, who will probably look similar to a cross between Odahviing and Paarthurnax- I'm still on the fence about the design.

Ahkirmaazmir

'Fo Krah Diin'- Ice-Breathing [in the air]

'Yol Toor Shul'- Fire-Breathing

'Fus Ro Dah'- Unrelenting Force [in the air]

'Wuld Nah Kest'- Whirlwind Sprint [On the ground]

'Zun Haal Viik'- Disarm

'Iiz Slen Nus'- Ice Form [On the ground]

'Strun Bah Qo'- Storm Call [in the air]

'Lok Vah Koor'- Clear Skies [When attacked with 'Storm Call']

'Tiid Klo Ul'- Slow Time [On the ground]

'Krein Ag Bah'- Solar Flare [Translation: Sun Burn Wrath] [in the Sky]

Can cast 'Firestorm' [On the ground], 'Blizzard' [On the ground], 'Wall of Flames' [in the air], 'Wall of Frost' [in the air], 'Dragonhide', 'Guardian Circle' [When health reaches %25

Edited by Zinnorokkrah

I like the idea of adding additional challenges and diversity to the dragon encounters. One change I'd really like to see, though, is in their non-combat behaviour. Why would an ancient and brilliant entity like a dragon spend all day, every day, circling over the same square kilometre of tundra? Dragons should move unpredictably across vast swathes of land, hunting and causing mayhem as they go, or they should be at home sleeping and counting their loot. Nuts to this figure-eight garbage.

I like the idea of adding additional challenges and diversity to the dragon encounters. One change I'd really like to see, though, is in their non-combat behaviour. Why would an ancient and brilliant entity like a dragon spend all day, every day, circling over the same square kilometre of tundra? Dragons should move unpredictably across vast swathes of land, hunting and causing mayhem as they go, or they should be at home sleeping and counting their loot. Nuts to this figure-eight garbage.

I mean, it kinda feels like that when a dragon attacks in the middle of town. But yeah I agree. But their AI is already such that, if it is threatened by another creature, it will attack it...unfortunately it's AI is also such that that same dragon deems a cave bear to be more dangerous than a level 67 guy with a big daedric hammer...maybe it just found an easier meal.

I figure that Bethsoft is using a pathing structure for the dragons and so while flying (out of combat) the AI can only randomize the path that it's taking like a complex railway system. In combat however, the dragon AI picks out a creature with a high aggro position (stupidly throwing levels out the window) and will redirect the chosen path and break from it temporarily to land. I aim to fix the Dragon AI (including flight paths) to a more random and unpredictable way. To do this (in conjunction to adding a playable dragon transformation) I'll be creating sensors to detect accelerations in every way and tweak the animations to behave accordingly. This way there won't be a need for a path and the dragon animation will (for example) aim it's wings when flying up or tilting its body while turning without the need of a path to tell it what to do. Another thing I aim to do is add a realistic aerodynamics system for dragon flight. So if a dragon is going up, it will need to flap its wings to continue going up, but if it's going down at any angle it will be able to glide. I find most games nowadays randomize when a flying creature flaps its wings and it drives me crazy.

Sounds like a cool idea Budz. Also, did you see my acceptance of your offer a few pages back? In any case, PM me when you need that Dragon Matriarch outline.

@Allephus- That is incredibly flattering. Thank-you. If you'd like once I'm done the script and the vocals for the lord of Haafingar I can send you them.

@JanusForbeare- I'm going to be working on that. You won't see the dragon lords [dovahjun] flying around randomly in their territories, think of them as Jarls- and the dragons at their lairs as peasants and guards.

In any case, I'm almost done the script for the initial encounter with the potentially friendly lord- can't wait to get the vocals done.