Your essential mods for Skyrim?

Andriokz

I modded quite a bit back in 2014, but my card was a bit weak and I didn't have a SSD (helps a lot with lack of patience). There have been so many mods released since then, and I was wondering if you could tell me what your essential mods would be now?

Big armor overhauls like the one aborn did or game engine/graphic altering ones like I see released every now and then, or even skill tree/mechanic changes that you feel vastly improved Skyrim.

I think it's mostly based on your playstyle. I like to ignore the main questline for as long as possible so I use Alternative Start - Live Another Life, but the major mods I can't play without would be these.

SkyUI

A Quality World Map and Solstheim Map - With Roads

Immersive Armors

Immersive Weapons

Skyrim HD - 2k Textures

Unofficial Skyrim Patch (and all DLC patches, depending on which DLC you have.)

Enhanced Blood Textures

Cloaks of Skyrim

Climates Of Tamriel - Weather - Lighting - Audio

Enhanced Lights and FX

Wet and Cold

Immersive HUD - iHUD

Frostfall - Hypothermia Camping Survival

Immersive Patrols

Enhanced Camera

Bandolier - Bags and Pouches

Better Vampires (If you plan to do a vampire playthrough it's a must have.)

WARZONES 2015 - Civil Unrest

I'm sure there are tons of others, but these are pretty much always my first installations. (Also any and all mods that are required to get these to work, just read the mods descriptions.

Better Vampires isn't essential for Vampires, i tested it and many other vampire mods but i prefer "Vampire Reversed and Tweaked".

For everyone other mods are essential, it depent's on your personal taste.

I suppose, but like I said it's all based on your own play-through style and preferences. I like a fully immersive mod style where fast traveling is off, and living off the wild is a bare minimum in order to survive.

I tried the Vampire mod you mentioned (if it's the one I'm thinking it is) but personally I like Better Vampires a bit more.

Edited by Nevieth

Mods that I consider a base part of the Skyrim experience:

From Nevieth's post: SkyUI, Unofficial Patch (USLEEP is the new, supported one, ignore USKP), Wet & Cold, Immersive Armors, iHUD, Immersive Patrols, Cloaks, Alternate Start LAL

For textures, I more or less follow the STEP guide, but I install all aMidianBorn textures (weapons, armor, landscape, caves, etc.) as the last thing to give them preference.

I also always use these (links for new mods only, sorry):

Cosmetic:

Race Menu

MikanEyes All in one - my favorite eye replacer

Bodyslide + UNP textures (Mature Skin, Real Girls, & SG Texture Renewal are my favorites)

Better Males

Northborn Scars

Apachii Hair

KS Hairdo's

Beards

Brows

Fixes & Improvements:

Complete Crafting Overhaul

- I use Winter is Coming, Cloaks, Jewelcraft, and Bandoliers through CCO

Clothing & Clutter Fixes

CACO - Complete Alchemy & Cooking Overhaul -or- Phitt's Complete Alchemy & Food + Realistic Needs & Diseases... plus a dozen patches :sad: Phitt's is super old, so you have to modify it yourself if you want it to work with DLC items.

SKSE

Skyrim Community Uncapper

Trade & Barter - to make the economy tougher

Scarcity - to reduce loot

Loot and Degradation - I don't *always* use this, but it's the only mod that I know of that reduces loot from dynamic leveled lists (a problem if you use a lot of mods and don't want to become rich instantly). It also has a simple, wont-much-get-in-your-way weapon and armor degradation system.

NARC - No Animals Report Crime

Sell Stones of Barenziah - either I make sure never to touch those stones or I use this mod

Weapons & Armor Fixes Remade - some people don't care, but I like the 800+ bug fixes and the logical gear rebalance

Traps Are Dangerous

Mortal Enemies + Combat Evolved (depending on other combat mods)

Vigor -or- Wildcat -or- Duke Patrick's mod

Essential Utils:

SkyTweak - super utility mod, essential. You can create a config and automatically reuse it for different characters.

Timing Is Everything - gives you control over when quests start. You can create a config and automatically reuse it for different characters.

Visuals:

Simple Mesh Improvement Mod

Skyrim Flora Overhaul

Real Roads

Unbelievable Grass Two

More Life:

Skyrim Immersive Creatures - optional more spawns is a fantastic feature, plus all the new creatures that are actually challenging to fight

Travellers of Skyrim - to have some life on the roads

Other:

ETaC - Enhanced Towns & Cities + all optionals - some of the exterior changes gimp framerates, but I don't care

Claralux 2015 - remade from scratch, seems to be much improved. I recently replaced Lanterns of Skyrim with this, and I think I'm keeping it

Radiance - great little mod from a long time ago, makes some really nice small changes, for example Amren & Eric can both be found adventuring in the wild after you complete their quests

Bijin AIO - requires all three of his separate mods. amazing facelifts of a lot of women NPCs. I wish he'd throw in a few average looking women, but his work is top quality.

I also switch up mods and have additional essentials depending on whether I'm playing a mage, warrior, thief, or dragonborn. But I think that's a long enough list.

A few new-ish mods that you may not be familiar with:

DyndoLOD - best of the best of LOD options. Requires a little setup, but it's easy to use if you read the instructions.

Relationship Dialogue Overhaul - haven't used it long enough to say it's essential, but it seems great

Ordinator - IMO the best overall perk overhaul

Path of Sorcery - I load this after Ordinator if I'm playing a mage character. Haven't decided yet whether this is an improvement over Empowered Magic or similar options.

SkyUi

SkyUi Away (I'm one of those weirdos who plays on PC with a console controller and I'm not a fan of SkyUi's inventory changes)

Alternate Start LAL

Deadly Dragons

Vilja in Skyrim

Falskaar

Immersive College of Winterhold

Interesting NPCs

Immersive Citizens: AI overhaul

Imperious: Races of Skyrim

Ordinator

Wintermyst: Enchantments of Skyrim

Edited by FrostMoglin