I Don't Want to be the Main Character

TojiX

I think that the problem is that Bethesda don't know to make games in which your character is not the centre of the universe, the chosen one and the messiah. It's a common problem in videogames though and the good thing is that if it grows tiresome then there is always the possibility of skipping the main quest. It will still be in the list until someone manages to make it go away.

Then again it would require all references to the player as the "dragonborn" to be deleted/replaced and also getting rid of shouts.

This would definitely be a great mod once the novelty of playing the mighty dragonborn wears off.

I LOVE it. So often I have played online games in these roles, the villiage drunk, the travelling minstral [usually with zero skills] and so on. I think a sandbox game ought to be able to have that level of variety, if you want to raise a family Sims style then why not [well sims is better for that but hey]. Infinite variety and options is a good thing, nice idea.

I'm loving this idea. Here's my take on what i'd like:

Allowing for multiple starting points, eventually the player can pass by the western watchtower where they are attacked by a dragon. With the help of some guards from white run and some random traveller on the road you defeat it. Then the dragon's soul goes into the random traveller, hence they are the dragonborn. Now unfortunately they have been given this responsibility, yet are far too feeble to accomplish anything on their own (basically a plain clothed npc with ability to learn and perform shouts, but sucks at all else, Frodo-esque). The guards quickly usher dragonborn back to whiterun, we hear "dovakiin!", and the player can go retrieve the dragon born as a follower to lead up the 7000 steps and protect as they discover their destiny, or the player can just go on about their business, leaving the essential, yet nearly useless dragonborn waiting for help.

Additionally, it'd be rather fun to have the dragonborn become more combat agressive as the game went on and they learned more shouts. Initially they would run from combat, but return to you once the threat was gone, eventually they'd harden a bit and try to support the player with shouts. They would never wield swords or posses magic, but they could use shouts in combat, and take quite a beating before crawling to safety. Eventually, by us as the player leading the dragonborn to learn more shouts they'd be able to step up to the task of fulfilling their destiny, letting us sit back and watch the world be saved.

Very much a LOTR style twist to the story, but I think it would be quite fun to play.

I'm loving this idea. Here's my take on what i'd like:

Allowing for multiple starting points, eventually the player can pass by the western watchtower where they are attacked by a dragon. With the help of some guards from white run and some random traveller on the road you defeat it. Then the dragon's soul goes into the random traveller, hence they are the dragonborn. Now unfortunately they have been given this responsibility, yet are far too feeble to accomplish anything on their own (basically a plain clothed npc with ability to learn and perform shouts, but sucks at all else, Frodo-esque). The guards quickly usher dragonborn back to whiterun, we hear "dovakiin!", and the player can go retrieve the dragon born as a follower to lead up the 7000 steps and protect as they discover their destiny, or the player can just go on about their business, leaving the essential, yet nearly useless dragonborn waiting for help.

Additionally, it'd be rather fun to have the dragonborn become more combat agressive as the game went on and they learned more shouts. Initially they would run from combat, but return to you once the threat was gone, eventually they'd harden a bit and try to support the player with shouts. They would never wield swords or posses magic, but they could use shouts in combat, and take quite a beating before crawling to safety. Eventually, by us as the player leading the dragonborn to learn more shouts they'd be able to step up to the task of fulfilling their destiny, letting us sit back and watch the world be saved.

Very much a LOTR style twist to the story, but I think it would be quite fun to play.

i like that choice but lets not forget about this choice.... side with dragons kill the one or the many dragonborn that the story would produce and watch the world burn ;p after all... keeping this one going only stops the next from being born ;p

i like that choice but lets not forget about this choice.... side with dragons kill the one or the many dragonborn that the story would produce and watch the world burn ;p after all... keeping this one going only stops the next from being born ;p

I like it. Have the dragonborn, be non-essential, but whenever he/she died, the player could go locate and help/kill the next one to spring up.

Would be nice, do what you want and dont bother about the rest. If you kill certain persons or a dragon, have the dragonborne come up to you and tell you to stop crossing him. You just killed a valuable informant. Or he needs the frakking dragon souls if he is to defeat Alduin. So stop killing those dragons lol Or steal items the dragonborn needs and meeting him as a failed drunk because he can not complete his destiny because someone stole.....

Yes it would be fun to be able to play as someone who for a change does not have to worry about saving the world. Even as suggested above help destroy it.

Would be nice, do what you want and dont bother about the rest. If you kill certain persons or a dragon, have the dragonborne come up to you and tell you to stop crossing him. You just killed a valuable informant. Or he needs the frakking dragon souls if he is to defeat Alduin. So stop killing those dragons lol Or steal items the dragonborn needs and meeting him as a failed drunk because he can not complete his destiny because someone stole.....

Yes it would be fun to be able to play as someone who for a change does not have to worry about saving the world. Even as suggested above help destroy it.

hahahaha...drunk Dragonborn say to you" I was adventurer just like you. Then I took an arrow in my knee!" AAAHahahahahahahaha!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!