Qwinn´s Ultimate DAO Fixpack v3 (no longer beta!)

Katzapult

Yes, I have IA installed.

I understand the line drawn between fixing and improving. My nature is to improve, not fix.

Another minor issue, though it relates to maps, not dialog. The oil fire the knights start for the redcliff battle doesn't trigger a grease fire. Don't know if that's to do with the map or the spell. I cast grease on the area and even though the ghouls took damage from the burning oil, I had to use my own fire spells to ignite the grease fire.

Oh, and as for old computers, mine is old. AMD quad core 3800, 6gb ram, 7600gt video card.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Huh, just found a game breaking bug:

24. (v3.0) "Attack at Nightfall": Talking with any of your companions during the Attack at Nightfall would cause the battle to glitch and fail to recognize when all the enemies are dead, making it impossible to end the fight, forcing a reload. This should no longer happen. Followers will simply not respond if you try (accidentally or otherwise) to start a conversation during the Attack now. WARNING: I cannot apply this fix to Shale. Either don't take Shale into the battle or beware of accidentally initiating dialogue with her.

I haven't figured out how those conversations actually break the scripts... must be something hidden that happens when a cutscene dialog is started... but I don't need to know how it's exactly happening in order to fix it, thankfully.

The wiki WAS very helpful in this case, btw. Someone in the talk pages correctly identified that talking to a companion caused the game breaking glitch, and I was able to reproduce it easily.

EDIT: Updated to note, this fix can't be applied to Shale, as her dialogue file is encrypted.

Edited by Qwinn

More side quest goodness:

7. (v3.0) "Places of Power": Fixed exploit where you could complete the quest by placing all party members near a single mystical site, pausing, and then having each one spam-click the mystical site.

Back to Redcliffe:

25. (v3.0) "The Arl of Redcliffe": When first dealing with Jowan, Leliana argues strongly that Jowan wishes to redeem himself and should be given the chance - but then in most dialogue paths where you do just that, it lowers her approval. Corrected to an equivalent approval increase in all paths where you follow her advice.

26. (v3.0) "The Arl of Redcliffe": If you go to Irving and ask for his help in saving Connor, he leaves for Redcliffe immediately, but if you leave the Tower and return before going to Redcliffe, he'd reappear there, ignorant of anything being wrong. He won't reappear in the Tower until the Connor situation is resolved.

27. (v3.0) When Alistair confronts you in camp after the events surrounding Connor and Isolde, you can no longer say "I think it turned out quite well, don't you?" unless you saved both of them.

28. (v3.0) When Alistair confronts you in camp after the events surrounding Connor and Isolde, you can no longer say "There was no time to try the Circle of Magi" if the Circle no longer existed because you sided with the Templars in Broken Circle.

29. (v3.0) When Alistair confronts you in camp after the events surrounding Connor and Isolde, if Jowan did the ritual, Alistair will no longer say "We could have tried the Circle of Magi!" if that wasn't an option because you sided with the Templars in Broken Circle.

30. (v3.0) When Alistair confronts you in camp after the events surrounding Connor and Isolde, this fix implements an approval boost that scripting comments indicate should have been (but was not) applied for using an option that required passing an easy Cunning check during the conversation.

LadyHonor, unfortunately, I think those 4 are about the most I can do, though I will keep looking for more for a while :sad: I still can't find any indication that the conversation should *not* happen under the circumstances of the Circle no longer being around, just those particular options/responses shouldn't. You *can* get him to apologize profusely and admit you really had no other options, so I'm not sure what I can "fix" here, that's all consistent. He just gets emotional about it, lashes out, then apologizes. It's in character, and it appears to have been intended :sad: Again though - I will keep looking, maybe I can find more unimplemented approval boosts that can make it less painful on that front.

Edited by Qwinn

Yes, I have IA installed.

Ahhh... IA has waaaaay too many changes to the vanilla game to be able to tell what's "real", and what's "the way IA does it." And many of the "improvements" it makes are ones I would prefer it didn't. I stopped using IA the first time I tried to load a save after un-installing it.

Ahhh... IA has waaaaay too many changes to the vanilla game to be able to tell what's "real", and what's "the way IA does it." And many of the "improvements" it makes are ones I would prefer it didn't. I stopped using IA the first time I tried to load a save after un-installing it.

Can you be more specific? What changes don't you like? So far I'm liking having animals in the background and people walking around.

Edited by aeroldoth

Wow, so get this. I got Isolde's prize for saving Connor, and it's a tier 1 - yes, 1 - Iron Enchanter's Staff. So I was going to add that to the list of rewards that scale, only I look at the item and it's *already* set to scale. I investigate. It turns out that the code that scales these items, in sys_rewards_h, has a list of item types it'll work on - basically, armor, shields, melee weapons and ranged weapons - and mage's staffs are NOT in the list. Huge oversight there.

Problem is, I don't *dare* just modify sys_rewards_h. That file is an include of plot_h, and plot_h is an include of pretty much EVERY single script in the game. If I went to export sys_rewards_h, I suspect it would wind up recompiling every single script in the game. God knows what that could do. Not risking it.

So why not just make the thing Silverite or something and be done with it? Because the staff she gives you is hardly unique. The Circle version of Irving (not the Redcliffe version) has one. Wynne has one. The Morrigan you fight during Urn of Ashes has one. Several stores sell them (and staffs won't scale in the store inventories either).

And yet... there ARE higher than level 1 enchanter's staffs in the game. I have a tier 3 one in my inventory, one that she had equipped when I added her to my party after her being in camp for a while. How? The only thing I can figure is that there's an engine function called "ScaleEquippedItems" that gets used when you add followers to your party that apparently does work on staffs. It's an engine function so I can't see the code, but it's pretty much the only place it could be happening.

So. What to do. Ugh. I may just make Isolde's reward a different item that's hard set to be silverite or something and otherwise identical. That would probably be easiest. Or I can try to duplicate the item scale function that includes staffs, and manually run it in the script that awards the staff to you. For the latter to be worth it, I'd frankly want it to be needed more than once. Anyone else know of another staff in game that just has horrid material type like this and desperately needs to be scaled?

It's not very elegant, but couldn't you do something like this?

object oStaff = GetItemByTag("isoldes_staff");
int nLevel = GetLevel(GetHero());

if (nLevel >= 1 && nLevel <= 3)
{
    SetItemMaterialType(oStaff, Whatever_Material_Type_You_Want);
}
else if (nLevel >= 4 && nLevel <= 6)
{
    SetItemMaterialType(oStaff, Whatever_Material_Type_You_Want);
}

That is providing you want to go to all that trouble. lol