stuttering FPS outdoors - anyone else?

KurganSPK

I'm currently working on troubleshooting this one for me.... Titan X and 3930k. Both on custom water and OC'd the snot out of. Something I have noticed so far is at some points outside, the GPU and CPU utilization drops no almost nothing and the frame rate is a constant to 9 fps. Simply turning 90 degrees to the side and boom, GPU maxes out and up to 90+ FPS. 1440p ultra settings here. Did no changes to the settings or any ini... Simply started the game, auto-detected settings and boom, stutters. Some people mentioned turning god rays to medium, but that had no effect. I did test with the lowest possible settings and it did fix it, so my hunch is one of the graphical settings is giving it issues.

What display do you have? adusting my display settings fixed my fps issues in a big way.

Guest deleted20630284

Just set your monitors refresh rate to 60hz. (Only works if you're getting unplayable "ultra stutter".) Tested using 1440p RoG Swift monitor with one touch refresh. Anything over 60hz makes the game unplayable outside.

Edit: Turning off Vsync from the SkyrimPrefs.ini and inside Nvidia control panel allows me to play @144hz with no stuttering. Seems like Vsync and refresh rates over 60 are in conflict. Game plays much smoother with all editions of Vsync off and the refresh rate at 144hz turbo.

(Smoother than leaving them on @60hz)

I've now tested this on :

Nvidia GTX 980

Nvidia GTX 980TI

Nvidia GTX 1080

Nvidia GTX 1080 SLI

Nvidia Pascal Titan

My game plays best with the GTX 980/1080 (Either edition SLI off) (No performance difference I am able to notice so far)

Hope this is some help to anyone who uses any of the above cards. Only gave each test 3 minutes running around outside in a space I was able to repeatedly find unplayable stuttering.

Much more testing will be needed by someone with more time.

Edit 2: be wary of flying Mammoths. This happens in the original version of Skyrim if the refresh rate is too high. I haven't seen it but it's something that should be watched for and reported if this issue persists in this new version of the game.

Edited by iloveyoupurples

I do run an acer XB1 at 144hz with gsync. I didn't think of it last night but I would bet running the game over 60fps will cause some jankiness. Does anyone know for sure if the game engine is tied to the FPS like Fallout 4? When I get back from work today I will try fiddling with FPS and gsync....

I had the same issue while headed to Riverwood.

I'm not sure if it's coincidence, but I saved and exited and then turned OFF G-Sync on my monitor.

Opened the game and haven't had a single stutter since. Smooth as butter.

Specs:

GTX 980 Ti

27" ASUS ROG swift 144Hz. / Gsync

i7 4770K

16GB Gskill Trident.

Hope this helps someone.

I do run an acer XB1 at 144hz with gsync. I didn't think of it last night but I would bet running the game over 60fps will cause some jankiness. Does anyone know for sure if the game engine is tied to the FPS like Fallout 4? When I get back from work today I will try fiddling with FPS and gsync....

this is what I thought initially - I have fps capped at 60 in standard skyrim with enb as I got all sorts of problems if it went above that (mostly stuff flying around inside when I entered a room - and the occasional flying mammoth). So far in SSE I haven't seen anything strange at 100fps but its early. Plus I apparently blew up my game last night trying to use the in-game mod order "feature", which is apparently borked. My game hung during the process when I tried it and then wouldn't launch again. So I wiped it and am starting over. More things change, the more they stay the same LOL.

I'm not sure if it's coincidence, but I saved and exited and then turned OFF G-Sync on my monitor.

Specs:

GTX 980 Ti

i7 4770K

16GB Gskill Trident.

Hope this helps someone.

funny turning it off worked for you - cranking it up worked for me.

Specs:

GTX 980 Ti

i7 4770K

16GB Gskill Trident.

Hope this helps someone.

funny turning it off worked for you - cranking it up worked for me.

Yeah, interesting.

The only thing I did was turn off Gsync. Everything else I left to auto-detect. (Ultra).

However, I don't remember what my current graphics driver version is.

I imagine that's a major factor as well.

OK! Solution!

I found the issue to be when G-Sync was enabled, while vsync was also enabled. The fix was to disable one of the two... I chose vsync.

To do so go into your SkyrimPrefs.ini for SE. (C:\Users\YourUserName\Documents\My Games\Skyrim Special Edition\SkyrimPrefs.ini) Open with notepad or any text editor.

CTRL+F for find and search for "Snyc"
Change iVSyncPresentInterval=1 to iVSyncPresentInterval=0

Save and done.

Also the latest nvidia drivers did not resolve the issue for me. (375.70)