stuttering FPS outdoors - anyone else?

KurganSPK

OK! Solution!

I found the issue to be when G-Sync was enabled, while vsync was also enabled. The fix was to disable one of the two... I chose vsync.

To do so go into your SkyrimPrefs.ini for SE. (C:\Users\YourUserName\Documents\My Games\Skyrim Special Edition\SkyrimPrefs.ini) Open with notepad or any text editor.

CTRL+F for find and search for "Snyc"

Change iVSyncPresentInterval=1 to iVSyncPresentInterval=0

Save and done.

Also the latest nvidia drivers did not resolve the issue for me. (375.70)

Good Find. What refresh rate is your monitor?

I'm wondering, if I disable vsync and enable Gsync, if the physics will get all crazy since my monitor is 144Hz and my FPS will be well above 60fps.

Not only am I getting low FPS (15 at most with settings on ultra, no more than 30 with settings at their lowest), screen tearing, and laggy controls (particularly toggling favorites...taking upwards of 2 seconds to switch weapons, and that's unacceptable), but I'm crashing to desktop every few minutes. I haven't loaded any mods whatsoever. Nor have I tried any .ini tweaks. I've simply tried to make a judgment based on playing it out of the box. Unfortunately, my judgment is that the SE out of the box is a pile of crap, and that it does the exact opposite of what it advertised. Other than the grass, the game doesn't look any better to me, and as I've said elsewhere, it looks like I'm playing Skyrim through the eyes of someone with glaucoma.

That said, I realize that a lot of people can run it just fine, and are tickled desaturated-pink with it, so I'm happy for them. I just really hope that mod authors don't abandon development and updates for mods for the original game, because I simply will not be playing the SE, and if that ends up killing my enjoyment of the activity.....then so be it.

EDIT: I have since disabled vsync, but that did absolutely nothing to alleviate framerate and performance issues.

Edited by phantompally76

Not only am I getting low FPS (15 at most with settings on ultra, no more than 30 with settings at their lowest), screen tearing, and laggy controls (particularly toggling favorites...taking upwards of 2 seconds to switch weapons, and thatbut I'm crashing to desktop every few minutes. I haven't loaded any mods whatsoever. Nor have I tried any .ini tweaks. I've simply tried to make a judgment based on playing it out of the box. Unfortunately, my judgment is that the SE out of the box is a pile of crap, and that it does the exact opposite of what it advertised. Other than the grass, the game doesn't look any better to me, and as I've said elsewhere, it looks like I'm playing Skyrim through the eyes of someone with glaucoma.

That said, I realize that a lot of people can run it just fine, and are tickled desaturated-pink with it, so I'm happy for them. I just really hope that mod authors don't abandon development and updates for mods for the original game, because I simply will not be playing the SE, and if that ends up killing my enjoyment of the activity.....then so be it.

EDIT: I have since disabled vsync, but that did absolutely nothing to alleviate framerate and performance issues.

What you're describing kind of sounds like a driver issue or a Video RAM issue. What is your current hardware at, if I can ask?

Also, V-sync and Gsync are two completely different technologies even though their names sound similar.

If your monitor has Gsync capability and is enable, it seems this can cause adverse performance if the game's V-sync is also enabled.

So as you can tell, everyone has a different fix and or a different idea on how to fix. I'll add to this.

My Specs:

i7 4790K 4 GHz CPU - Crucial Ballistix Sport 16gb DDR4-2400 Ram - NVIDIA GeForce GTX 980 Ti 6GB Latest driver from yesterday - ASUS Z97-AR MoBo - Monitor: Dell S2716DG (displayport/G-sync)

My Issue: stuttering outdoors, not game stopping stuttering just slight pauses. Nothing noted indoors. And I have NO physic issues (flying items when in a bar or splashy water sounds)

Fixes and tests: I did the G-Sync and V-Sync changes everyone is saying to do, turn one off the other on, both on , one on the other app controlled and so on.... I tried in SkyrimPrefs.ini to set the iVSyncPresentInterval=0 or set iVSyncPresentInterval=1 or set it to iVSyncPresentInterval=F*CKU..... nothing fixed it. (left it set as iVSyncPresentInterval=1)

the last thing I did fixed it (sounds stupid but it works for me) is was : In the Nvidia Control Panel, I set Multi-display/mixed-GPU acceleration to "Single display performance mode".

I am sure this is not the holy grail to fix all stuttering problems but as I said it worked for me.

So the rest of my settings are:

Skyrim SE : Ultra, with screen resolution 2560x 1440, AA off

Nvidia Control Panel

Ambient Occlusion Quality

Anisotropic filtering App Controlled

Antialiasing FXAA Off

Antialiasing Gamma Off

Antialiasing Mode Off

Antialiasing Setting none

Antialiasing Transparency Off

CUDA GPUs All

DSR Off

DSR Off

Max Pre-rendered frames Use the 3D app settings

Monitor Technology G-SYNC

Multi-Frame Sample Off

Multi-display/mixed=GPU acceleration Single Display performance mode

Power management mode Prefer Max

Preferred Refreshed rate (Dell) App-Controlled

shader Cache on

texture filtering anisotropic off

texture filtering Neg LOD allow

texture filtering quality Quality

texture filtering Trilinear On

Threaded Optimization On

Triple Buffering Off

Vertical Sync Off

Virtual Reality 1

I hope this helps someone.

Ah yes I also have Single Display Performance Mode, and Maximum prerendered frames at 2. And forced 16xAF (not that that would do anything to help I guess)

2700x1500 Ultra, TAA, 60 fps 100% of the time indoord outdoors combat etc.

I havent touched anything in the ini files.

Best of luck to everyone. In my case SSE runs better than Skyrim...Granted I dont have an ENB yet but even without ENB in Skyrim I had an annoying stutter.

OK! Solution!

I found the issue to be when G-Sync was enabled, while vsync was also enabled. The fix was to disable one of the two... I chose vsync.

To do so go into your SkyrimPrefs.ini for SE. (C:\Users\YourUserName\Documents\My Games\Skyrim Special Edition\SkyrimPrefs.ini) Open with notepad or any text editor.

CTRL+F for find and search for "Snyc"

Change iVSyncPresentInterval=1 to iVSyncPresentInterval=0

Save and done.

Also the latest nvidia drivers did not resolve the issue for me. (375.70)

Good Find. What refresh rate is your monitor?

I'm wondering, if I disable vsync and enable Gsync, if the physics will get all crazy since my monitor is 144Hz and my FPS will be well above 60fps.

I run an Acer Predator XB1 at 144Hz. I havnt had any issues so far with the havok engine or any other part of the game so far with over 60fps... I did in Fallout 4 but nothing so far in SSE.

Another thing I found while testing was adjusting the Large Object Distance and Object Fade in the launcher options --> Advanced --> View Distance tab made a fairly large FPS difference. Could be worth trying to lower those and see if it helps.

I have tried every suggestion listed. Nividia panel looks exactly like those listed. Pristine Skyrim with no mods. 10 FPS through the opening scenes along with flickering lights. Looks like a disco ball is bouncing off the npcs and horses.

This time last week; I was playing skyrim 32 bit with 255 plus mods with zero crashes with a good fps. Will just give it a few weeks and keep an eye on the forums for suggestions. Thanks to everyone for the tips and sharing. Enjoy the game!