Oblivion ruined Skyrim for me

jpaul385

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have actually enjoyed vanilla Skyrim far more than i did Oblivion. Particularly in hte fact that it's not all forests and stone castles. The storylines do seem somewhat rushed, but then again i don't feel anything in either Skyrim or Oblivion approaches Morrowind's main story.

My biggest problems with oblivion are adressed in Skyrim, which is what makes it so much more enjoyable. Namely, the lack of racial and physical definition, and the completely unoriginal and boring world. It isn't Morrowind, with its Silt Striders and Nix Hounds, but a mammoth and Saber Cats are a hell of a lot more interesting than Boars. Still have those pesky wolves though...

I do definately feel they took a step back with the magic system though... The almost went to the Morrowind lack of viability, but then castrated it even more with a lack of spells and no spell making...

All in all, however, i feel the game is a good step up from Oblivion, though both still pale to Morrowind. The inclusion of wide perk-trees, the class-less leveling and the overall gameplay mechanics are much better than either, but like Oblivion before it fails to have the same epic feeling, the same memorable characters and is guilty of way too much hand holding through the questlines.

As for the fallout comments i see cropping up all over the place lately... Why does it feel like Fallout to you? It feels nothing of the sort to me.. Of course, i played the original Fallout games, and as such Fallout feels more like a TES game than the other way around...

As for the fallout comments i see cropping up all over the place lately... Why does it feel like Fallout to you? It feels nothing of the sort to me..

"Intensely depressing and unattractive setting" (I'm quoting Brittainy). Does that phrase ring a bell?

But then again I guess it's a matter of taste. You said you love the fact that in Skyrim there are no lush forests and castles and that it's more like Morrowind (very focused on mountains, grey and nasty deserted places). The exact opposite applies to me and to others.

Edited by Einarth

There is beauty to be found even amongst the ruins of the past and the dunes of the desert, for those willing to see past their pain.

I even find Fallout's world to be a beautiful place, though it is a different kind of beauty. Oblivion had a classical high-fantasy beauty to it, one which admitedly is tried and tested, but it lacks creativity.

On a side note, I think it's great that between Morrowind, Oblivion and Skyrim, most people love at least one of them. I don't think everyone has to agree about which is 'best'. Everyone has their own taste and - to put it bluntly - fair f***'s to us all :thumbsup:

Outside of taste, however, I think there are plenty of legitimate gripes about Skyrim going around. (Malfunctioning UI, low quality textures, etc.) Plus the odd moment of irritation because we (some of us) were hoping for something other than what we got. :whistling:

Oblivion is just one of those games that absolutely captivated me. (Still does.) I don't care what sort of game offers that kind of feeling for someone else: As long as something tickles their fancy, great.

Plenty of people are championing Morrowind as the best, others are raving about Oblivion, and plenty are hailing Skyrim as marvellous. (And likely there's a handful of people who adore all three.)

I don't want anyone to agree with me that Oblivion is the best. It's only my opinion.

Either way, this infernal empire is a troublesome place no matter how much you slog your guts out for it over the centuries. *Damn the Dragons, the Daedra and...umm...er...whatever the hell baddies were in Morrowind*

:pirate:

There is beauty to be found even amongst the ruins of the past and the dunes of the desert, for those willing to see past their pain.

Granted, but there were ruins of the past in Oblivion too. And deserts (using the Elsweyr mod), snowy mountains, swamps, forests, lakes, shores, etc. IMO walking somewhere in Oblivion was nice, in Skyrim and Fallout it's... depressing.

I even find Fallout's world to be a beautiful place

Decadent beauty, eh? As I said, matter of taste.

Edited by Einarth

...umm...er...whatever the hell baddies were in Morrowind*

:pirate:

That would be maniac's feeding off the power of a dead Aedra/Daedra (Cameron makes a good arguement about what Lorkhan was...) mad former-gods who can't stand losing their power and a particular wolf-headed Daedric Prince who was looking for a spot of sport.

But i do tend to agree, the fact that people have their favorites, and tend to violently argue in their favor, shows how engrossing the games have been, and how invigorating the world is. I was too young to really remember Arena and Daggerfall, but i do intend to go back there at some point...

Each game has their strengths, and i don't yet feel that Bethesda has found the happy medium between them. Oblivion had a good mesh of gameplay and story, but was lacking in the way of character development beyond a very few mainline characters. Morrowind was somewhat lacking in gameplay (what with the clunky combat and magic system) but excelled in story and characters (Who can forget Creeper? Or Fyr? Or that one crazy argonian with the fork?). Then again it also had those thrice damned Gliff Racers....

Skyrim i feel has its strength in its gameplay mechanics. Between the leveling, the perks and the dual hand mechanics it opens the door for more indepth character development and more involved combat. It hasn't really hit its stride with them yet.

I do greatly prefer the return to a Morrowind-era artistic design, particularly in regards to the races, but Skyrim also lacks the degree of customization which Oblivion really shone at. At the same time, the degree of customization in Oblivion had the unfortunate side effect of putty-face syndrome. There has to be a happy medium somewhere...

I think some serious consideration about the strengths of previous titles would realy benefit Bethesda in exploring DLC for Skyrim, and even for TES6. If they can combine Morrowind's storytelling and characters, Oblivions customization and Skyrim's classless leveling and gameplay we'd be set. Even if they set it in that one province.. You know, the swamp full of angry gekkos.

Edited by Lachdonin

House Dagoth? :thumbsup:

It's funny. I was just thinking to myself yesterday and wondering what it was about Skyrim that didn't feel quite 'right'. I mean, I love the game and I play it every day but something feels rather disconnected about it. I finally decided that it was because the same team that made Fallout 3 also made Skyrim. I think the harsh bleakness of the wastelands sort of stuck in their minds. Then I come here and read that others feel the same.

It started with the burned and ruined books, the ashpiles left by disintegrating enemies... I was like "HEY! Those are Fallout resources. What are they doing in my Elder Scrolls? And why do I feel like I'm Tamriels Lone Wanderer? Everyone is grimy and unpleasant. And when did Three Dog join the Dark Brotherhood?"

That being said, this IS a very dark time during the empire's history so I don't think Oblivions sweetness and light would be as appropriate. I'm not going to jump on the "I'm bored with Skyrim" bandwagon a month before the creation kit is even released.

RP