jpaul385

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

...umm...er...whatever the hell baddies were in Morrowind*

:pirate:

That would be maniac's feeding off the power of a dead Aedra/Daedra (Cameron makes a good arguement about what Lorkhan was...) mad former-gods who can't stand losing their power and a particular wolf-headed Daedric Prince who was looking for a spot of sport.

But i do tend to agree, the fact that people have their favorites, and tend to violently argue in their favor, shows how engrossing the games have been, and how invigorating the world is. I was too young to really remember Arena and Daggerfall, but i do intend to go back there at some point...

Each game has their strengths, and i don't yet feel that Bethesda has found the happy medium between them. Oblivion had a good mesh of gameplay and story, but was lacking in the way of character development beyond a very few mainline characters. Morrowind was somewhat lacking in gameplay (what with the clunky combat and magic system) but excelled in story and characters (Who can forget Creeper? Or Fyr? Or that one crazy argonian with the fork?). Then again it also had those thrice damned Gliff Racers....

Skyrim i feel has its strength in its gameplay mechanics. Between the leveling, the perks and the dual hand mechanics it opens the door for more indepth character development and more involved combat. It hasn't really hit its stride with them yet.

I do greatly prefer the return to a Morrowind-era artistic design, particularly in regards to the races, but Skyrim also lacks the degree of customization which Oblivion really shone at. At the same time, the degree of customization in Oblivion had the unfortunate side effect of putty-face syndrome. There has to be a happy medium somewhere...

I think some serious consideration about the strengths of previous titles would realy benefit Bethesda in exploring DLC for Skyrim, and even for TES6. If they can combine Morrowind's storytelling and characters, Oblivions customization and Skyrim's classless leveling and gameplay we'd be set. Even if they set it in that one province.. You know, the swamp full of angry gekkos.

I fear we'll never get the sort of depth we need while consoles are dictating the content - or lack thereof :unsure: I find it painful to look at the quality of Skyrim's textures when I've seen what high quality textures modders like Qarl came up with for Oblivion. I find it even more painful to look at something as beautiful as Crysis and then see how much consoles are holding pc games back even just on a purely visual front.

I do agree that each game has strong points and Bethesda do indeed seem to skip over the happy-medium mark and jump straight into...well :tongue:

I think it's such a shame that Bethesda have gone backwards as far as dialogue and storytelling goes. (I'll say it again: voice-acted dialogue really kills the chance for variety.)

It's also a shame that Bethesda has some great ideas, but they are the pits when it comes to aesthetics. That's something which doesn't seem to be getting any better.

I guess that's the ultimate irksome thing about a series of games like this. You always wish the best of each game had been combined into one 'perfect' one. But then again, that brings us back to the fact that we probably all have a different idea of perfection.

Only thing we can likely agree on is wanting a functional UI :teehee:

Edited by Brittainy

There is beauty to be found even amongst the ruins of the past and the dunes of the desert, for those willing to see past their pain.

I even find Fallout's world to be a beautiful place, though it is a different kind of beauty. Oblivion had a classical high-fantasy beauty to it, one which admitedly is tried and tested, but it lacks creativity.

I think deserts can be beautiful. As can arctic environments.

But to me it seems as though Bethesda doesn't know when to stop using grey on...everything. :whistling: Even the Autumn forests are dull in Skyrim. If only they'd bothered to look at a few pictures of places like Alaska and Canada.

There are some amazing environments out there. Even though I personally love the generic fantasy-type ones, I don't think it has to be that way to be beautiful.

Again, this is simply my opinion and personal taste, but the only beautiful part of Skyrim was the northern lights. The rest was a dingy and depressing wilderness which feels desolate in all the worst senses of the word.

I fear we'll never get the sort of depth we need while consoles are dictating the content - or lack thereof :unsure: I find it painful to look at the quality of Skyrim's textures when I've seen what high quality textures modders like Qarl came up with for Oblivion. I find it even more painful to look at something as beautiful as Crysis and then see how much consoles are holding pc games back even just on a purely visual front.

We may be seeing this over the next few years... We're basically at the technological limit of consoles, and i see more and more people switching over to computer gaming because of that. The current projections from the console industry indicate it would be cripplingly expencive to design a 'next gen' console given current technology, and any new releases are likely to be new UI systems for the current consoles, or retweaks of old technology. As such, game companies, which have to push the envelope in order to maintain sales, will be given a choice. Either stagnate, or push the focus back towars PC's. As it stands, the predictions indicate we will be stuck with curent gen console technology until at least 2015, with an upward end date of 2025.

Still, Bethesda hasn't been known for being too on the ball when it comes to textures anyway...

We may be seeing this over the next few years... We're basically at the technological limit of consoles, and i see more and more people switching over to computer gaming because of that. The current projections from the console industry indicate it would be cripplingly expencive to design a 'next gen' console given current technology, and any new releases are likely to be new UI systems for the current consoles, or retweaks of old technology. As such, game companies, which have to push the envelope in order to maintain sales, will be given a choice. Either stagnate, or push the focus back towars PC's. As it stands, the predictions indicate we will be stuck with curent gen console technology until at least 2015, with an upward end date of 2025.

Still, Bethesda hasn't been known for being too on the ball when it comes to textures anyway...

I hope the author of this thread will excuse the drift off-topic, but - aside from the generally depressing truth about consoles - I find you last remark even more depressing. From a purely creative stand-point, I love seeing high quality work and I can't imagine how disheartening it would be to have to ignore the power of the pc and settle for the limitations imposed by consoles in the graphics department. As someone who adores creating textures, I'd probably be puking blood if I was forced to work with inferior technology when there's so much potential to do incredibly beautiful things on the pc.

:unsure: