how much room do you need for W7

so for this build in the making, i really would like to get an SSD for Window 7 (Professional x64bit) ive been planning on a 128GB SSD, which would be nice however for half the price (and half the Storage) i can get a 64GB for $100 (duhh lol) i mean. having a 128GB would be really nice, then id have no issues, but i mean if i can get away with saving $100, then its something to deff consider ya know?

would this 64GB SSD be enough room for W7 Pro 64bit? and if so, would there be any extra room to maybe put a game or two on?

second question. whether there is or isnt enough room for a game (and if there isnt just assume i have the 128GB or something) is it possible to move games from the SSD to the Main Drive back and forth? so for example i can put a game on the SSD while im interested in playing it, but then maybe swap it out for another game when i wanna play something else. (and im talking about, when i wanna play a game for a few weeks/months, not day to day kind of thing, so it would be something like FONV or SC2 or what have you) or would doing that be complicated, or more complicated when considering mods and pathing and all that?

thanks for your help and insight all!

I use a first gen Vertex 60GB for my OS drive. With Win7 Ultimate 64-bit and a few applications that have not been moved to my new larger SSD it currently has 22.4GB free space. I could probably get it up to 30GB free space if I cleaned it up some more. My library folders are redirected to HDD but otherwise my user folder is the same. Save games take up a lot of space so you might want to keep an eye on them.

Install your games to the drive that you are going to play them on. If you are not going to use one for awhile, move it to your other drive for storage. With Steam I recommend moving just the game folder from Common. I run Steam offline as much as possible so I do not know how it would react if you are in online mode and try to run one that you have moved. It might try to re-download... If offline it just says unavailable.

so 64 gigs will be enough. great!

and i might put a game or two on there and just keep those there. prolly something like Starcraft 2, which i always play off and on, and something else if something else will fit.

I have a terabyte and recently put a 128 gig ssd - mushkin chronos deluxe - in my case. I put windows seven on it and moved my steam folder over to it with no problems. I currently have 60 gigs of free space. What a difference it makes. When i load a skyrim game save, i barely see a load screen for maybe two seconds on a 50 hour game save. It is incredible

yea, ive decided i wanna spend the extra money and gt a 128gb drive. i figure if im going to spend money on it, i might as well spend the extra and get a drive ill be able to use for awhile, and put everything i want on.

now ive read something about not putting the Page Files or something on the SSD, what does that mean?

Edited by hoofhearted4

haha word. thanks for your help.

this build is still months away, (spring prolly) but the one thing ive been trying to deside is the Case. nothing has everything i want it seems.

haha word. thanks for your help.

this build is still months away, (spring prolly) but the one thing ive been trying to deside is the Case. nothing has everything i want it seems.

Im using a rosewill challenger midtower and love it. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811147153

But the 12 inche gpu i plan to get doesnt look like its gonna fit without a little surgery. Its just too long.

The 8 inch im using now fits without issues.

(obligatory - thats what she said)