Remove same sex marriage?

Xphen

While it seems to me that obvious solution to the OP's original desire is what everyone has suggested many, many multiple times (being "Take off the **** amulet"), a mod of this nature *could* actually have some educational value as far as finding ways to make gender specific stuff, a Black Widow/Lady Killer perk à la Fallout comes to mind, but there's other interactions that may be useful. Maybe a sword only women can use, I dunno.

If meant from a game point of view: this is already in the game. I completed the Dibella quest and now get a 10% extra damage on opposite sex, much like in FO3...I still fail to see the educational part of it though.

I'm not surprised it's already in the game (from what I've been reading there's a lot of artifacts left from previous versions of the game engine, including entries for VATS and such), but modders may or may not necessarily know how to do anything with it. Figuring out how to make a mod that exploits this kind of thing would yield useful information, is all I'm saying. The act of learning how to do it would be a learning experience.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

please stop with the "ohh you are homophobic !" everyone wants their own game, you have your options, that we are not homosexuals and dont want to listen to it doesnt make us homophobic (which is a word widely misused, phobia mainly means you are afraid of it, but thats another topic), if someone came up with a "lets change all skyrim couples to gay couples" or "no more heterosexual marriage" i wouldnt care, i would not be offended, its their mod and they should enjoy their game the way they want it, it doesnt affect my game or life at all.

That our long time buddy Farkas suddenly goes all "ohh an amulet wanna marry me" is also very annoying and like i said, breaks inmersion since people that arent supposed to be gay (like Farkas, Vilkas, etc) suddenly are gay in a Role Playing Game if Bethesda would at least have kept the gay options to people that are supposed to be gay or could be perceived as gay or makes any sort of sense that they are gay. I know i can just unequip the amulet but it gets really annoying having to unequip to speak with a male just so you dont break inmersion (already breaking it in the process) and then equip it again when you want to know if someone is available, instead of just keeping it on till you find your wife (and maybe after, i havent found many worthwhile amulets and restoration is not that bad). I support this idea, hope to see the mod come to light.

And please to the homosexual community, this is not something to be offended about, its a MOD the original game supports homosexuality, if you dont like this simply dont download it when/if it comes out.

Edited by Wraithofdoom

Heterosexual people do rub their sexuality into people's faces, though. They're doing it all over this thread. You're doing it, by saying that there's nothing wrong with straight people reacting negatively to even the slightest hint of something gay in their perfect straight world.

I'd really love not to have heterosexual themes rubbed in my face everywhere I look, but that's not considered acceptable by the vast majority of straight people. Allowing gay marriage in Skyrim was a wonderful thing for Bethesda to do - but all the married NPCs are straight. That's not exactly rubbing homosexuality in your face.

To avoid seeing homosexual themes in Skyrim, all you have to do is never talk to an NPC of your character's gender while wearing a certain item that has no real purpose other than to facilitate marriage. To avoid seeing heterosexual themes, I have to... well, I have to refrain from playing the game. Or have my character hide out at home with her wife and never leave.

Perhaps we have different definitions of 'rubbing it in ones face' but from your perspective I see what you mean. My definition is simply how they act out in the open. I'm not talking about enjoying their partner's (or same gender spouse) company out in the open, but rather how they act individually. The clothing (for men at least) can be overlooked in most cases, and I have a gay friend that at first look doesn't stand out like a sore thumb in a crowd. Men's lisps are really the biggest hitter, not from a gay/straight perspective, but rather the lisp making them sound like they're not suppose to be that gender - my gay friend doesn't have that lisp. The final and last thing are the gay pride parades - we don't have straight pride parades so I really fail to see why they have to force themselves on everyone like that. Let everyone live their lives, gay or straight, and let that be that.

Yes, I agree with you there and I commend Bethesda for making that feature the way it is - if you don't want to see homosexual themes, remove an item. Brilliant really, but it does break immersion for me to be the only one in the entire game capable of homosexual marriage. If this feature really was intended actually, then there should be at least one or two gay couples somewhere in the province of Skyrim. However I can see from a business perspective the ramifications for putting in gay npc couples would be a real mistake for the radical heterosexual individuals across the globe.

Heterosexuality is the norm, yes. Just as being white and male is the norm in a lot of places.

I fail to see the relationship between a biological standard and an individual majority. Males and females alike and whites, blacks, yellows, etc and gay and straight are all biological tweaks of an individual that no one can really help change. In the middle east white and male is the norm sure, but in the US they are not. Just because they are the majority does not make them the norm. However, homosexuality is a biological anomaly that some are born with and some are not, yet grow up in such house hold and become sexually confused. Regardless, I don't find heterosexuality as a cultural norm, but rather a biological norm.

@JM_MnNemo

I don't doubt that there will be a mod that presents homosexuality in it - actually I know that there is a mod that's being developed that has adult homosexual themes in it as a side effect of having defaulted sub par sexual orientation AI in combination with general adult themes.

I'm going to ignore the debate and actually deal with the request made by the OP. :facepalm:

Try opening the console after you clicked on the target and type:

Addtofaction 19809 0

I haven't tested this, but I assume it will remove that NPC from the potential partners list. As for a mod, it might be possible to make a list of the marriageable NPC ids and remove the male ones automatically, if you're male, and vice versa. That would effectively make single sex marriage impossible.

haha totally knew I'd get flamed. How am I getting called a homophobe if I'm trying to get rid of things related to them? And damn, never knew so many gay-rights supporters played skyrim

What?

You're trying to get rid of the same sex marriage option thus the title "Remove same sex marriage?", you're not trying to get rid of the things related to homophobic stuff, you're trying to get rid of things related to homosexuality.

And you're trying to defend yourself with saying that? :facepalm:

This "can someone make a mod where it deactivates any kind of -homosexual- dialogue/affection" or this "Tired of walking up to a -same-sex- npc"

The fact that you're bothered by(only) the same-sex NPC hitting on you while wearing the amulet is kind of homophobic, if you had a topic mentioning "Remove all the flirty stuff -amulet of mara-" I would immediately think "Oh god, yeah he's got a point, I hate it when an NPC(either male or female) gets all flirty n' s*** when I just want to hear a rumor or buy something :confused: "

I'm not bothered by the homosexual community, I was born into the 21st century ya know?; Where black and white people can be friends, where women can have the same jobs as men and homosexuals aren't strange :armscrossed:

"And damn, never knew so many gay-rights supporters played skyrim" - What does that have to do with anything anyway?

Damn, never knew so many ignorant people played Skyrim.

I've rambled on long enough I guess, I'm not going to make it and I doubt that anyone else would.. you could always just ehhh.. throw away the damn amulet :pinch:

@JM_MnNemo

I don't doubt that there will be a mod that presents homosexuality in it - actually I know that there is a mod that's being developed that has adult homosexual themes in it as a side effect of having defaulted sub par sexual orientation AI in combination with general adult themes.

Actually I kinda wandered away from homosexuality and was only referring to the benefits of learning how to make a gender based mod... Girl Power/All Boys Together, etc.

Try opening the console after you clicked on the target and type:

Addtofaction 19809 0

Ok, I wouldn't have thought of that... but it's freakin' brilliant. All one has to do is make a batch file that will selectively de-faction-ize any and all specific characters you don't want flirting with you... and all that info is available in the wiki pages. Bob's yer uncle.

See? Educational. I learned something useful, and may someday be able to make use of that when I feel like making a mod.

Edited by JM_MnNemo

Instead of removing the option, i like that maybe the males will check you out, they don't know if you are gay or not? instead why not just add the conversation option "Oh, my apologies if i made the wrong impression, im looking for female companionship" and add the same to the females if you want a male. So if you choose that one, the person will be removed from the marriage faction and will not bother you again. I know this cannot be done before the CK is out, but i think that is a better option, it also adds to immersion since you have a dialogue option to say "no" instead of just ignoring what he said. Everyone wins! :)

please stop with the "ohh you are homophobic !" everyone wants their own game, you have your options, that we are not homosexuals and dont want to listen to it doesnt make us homophobic (which is a word widely misused, phobia mainly means you are afraid of it, but thats another topic), if someone came up with a "lets change all skyrim couples to gay couples" or "no more heterosexual marriage" i wouldnt care, i would not be offended, its their mod and they should enjoy their game the way they want it, it doesnt affect my game or life at all.

That our long time buddy Farkas suddenly goes all "ohh an amulet wanna marry me" is also very annoying and like i said, breaks inmersion since people that arent supposed to be gay (like Farkas, Vilkas, etc) suddenly are gay in a Role Playing Game if Bethesda would at least have kept the gay options to people that are supposed to be gay or could be perceived as gay or makes any sort of sense that they are gay. I know i can just unequip the amulet but it gets really annoying having to unequip to speak with a male just so you dont break inmersion (already breaking it in the process) and then equip it again when you want to know if someone is available, instead of just keeping it on till you find your wife (and maybe after, i havent found many worthwhile amulets and restoration is not that bad). I support this idea, hope to see the mod come to light.

And please to the homosexual community, this is not something to be offended about, its a MOD the original game supports homosexuality, if you dont like this simply dont download it when/if it comes out.

"Homophobia" does not mean a literal fear of gay people. It's a social concept that can't be narrowed down to a single sentence in a dictionary, much like sexism and racism. Being uncomfortable with the concept of homosexuality is homophobic. Not wanting to hear about homosexuality, wanting to exist in a pristine heterosexual bubble, is homophobic. The idea that there are certain people who "aren't supposed to be gay" is homophobic; why, exactly, isn't Farkas meant to be gay? Like all marriageable characters, he's programmed to be bisexual. I think that makes it fairly clear that he's meant to be attracted to the Dragonborn, whichever gender the Dragonborn might be, if the Dragonborn wishes him to be.

If you think that he isn't supposed to be gay because he's too masculine - that, too, is homophobic. Big, manly fighter-types can be gay or bisexual. And that's okay.

Perhaps we have different definitions of 'rubbing it in ones face' but from your perspective I see what you mean. My definition is simply how they act out in the open. I'm not talking about enjoying their partner's (or same gender spouse) company out in the open, but rather how they act individually. The clothing (for men at least) can be overlooked in most cases, and I have a gay friend that at first look doesn't stand out like a sore thumb in a crowd. Men's lisps are really the biggest hitter, not from a gay/straight perspective, but rather the lisp making them sound like they're not suppose to be that gender - my gay friend doesn't have that lisp. The final and last thing are the gay pride parades - we don't have straight pride parades so I really fail to see why they have to force themselves on everyone like that. Let everyone live their lives, gay or straight, and let that be that.

Are you serious.

Sexuality has nothing to do with whether someone is the "wrong gender", and it has nothing to do with dressing well, or lisping, or acting feminine or masculine. Masculine people can be gay! Pretty boys with lisps who dress well can be straight. The only thing that dictates whether or not someone is gay is whether or not they like people of the same gender. And if a well-dressed man with a lisp does happen to be gay, there's nothing wrong with him being like that in public. There's nothing wrong with "looking gay".

You don't need straight pride parades because straight is the default. Everyone knows about straight people. No one goes "ew, look at that guy wearing jeans and ratty sneakers, he must be straight." No one tells straight people that they should only be straight in private, or that it's okay to be straight as long as they don't act straight where everyone else has to see. People are so loud about gay rights because it's a thing that hasn't happened yet. We aren't equal to you. We are, a lot of the time, treated very badly! Gay pride parades aren't about saying "look at us, look how gay we are, let's force our gay gayness on you!" They're about saying "hey, we exist too, and there's nothing wrong with who we are; you're proud of being straight, so let us be proud of being gay."

Yes, I agree with you there and I commend Bethesda for making that feature the way it is - if you don't want to see homosexual themes, remove an item. Brilliant really, but it does break immersion for me to be the only one in the entire game capable of homosexual marriage. If this feature really was intended actually, then there should be at least one or two gay couples somewhere in the province of Skyrim. However I can see from a business perspective the ramifications for putting in gay npc couples would be a real mistake for the radical heterosexual individuals across the globe.

Either it makes sense or it doesn't. Make up your mind.

And you really think it breaks immersion for people to only mention their sexuality when you explicitly invite it by showing that you're not against it? That's my real life.

I fail to see the relationship between a biological standard and an individual majority. Males and females alike and whites, blacks, yellows, etc and gay and straight are all biological tweaks of an individual that no one can really help change. In the middle east white and male is the norm sure, but in the US they are not. Just because they are the majority does not make them the norm. However, homosexuality is a biological anomaly that some are born with and some are not, yet grow up in such house hold and become sexually confused. Regardless, I don't find heterosexuality as a cultural norm, but rather a biological norm.

Homosexuality is not an "abnormality". And no, people don't grow up in gay families and get "confused". Exposing children to homosexuality doesn't make them gay! It does, however, tend to make them realize that being gay is totally okay.

Straight people are the majority. They can rightfully assume that if they see a movie, there will be straight people. If they play a game? Straight people. They don't have to go into special bookstores or on special websites to find media featuring straight people. They don't risk violence if they announce, in a public place, "hey, I'm straight!" These are all cultural things.

Tired of walking up to a same-sex npc while wearing an amulet of mara and seeing that option: "interested in me, are you?" and listening to their "is that an amulet of mara, bla bla bla?".

So like, can someone make a mod where it deactivates any kind of homosexual dialogue/affection npcs' may show you?

-I had a picture but then i took an arrow in the knee and lost it

I think I would get tired of any npc doing that. Which is why I keep the useless amulet unequipped. You should just get a spouse already and get rid of the amulet. It isn't like you and your spouse are going to consummate your love; it is more of a platonic love than anything else. If you're playing as a dude and marry another dude it's just bro love.. that's all.

gay-trolls are gay, btw

Edited by Sagenth