NIF compatibility issues

So I am really baffled here but several of my models work fine, and several of them do not. I have some that show up in inventory preview and some that do not. I have some that are missing objects from the mesh, while others that are almost identical are showing fine (several statues with bases that are invisible on one of them, but visible on the rest). The models that don't show in inventory preview DO show when you drop them but they have a black checkerboard or spiral effect almost like some of the faces are being rendered backwards or something. I can't seem to find any irregularities that are constant among all malfunctioning models or even across the working ones. Does anyone have any clue yet about what NIF branches need to change for SSE?

SSE nifs do have a different structure, with some new kinds of block that didn't previously exist, but the engine been made backwards compatible with old nifs up to a point. The big no-no seems to be strippified meshes. They need to have any NiTriStrips blocks converted to NiTriShape to stand any chance of working. (I've had no success with doing this myself, but other people report that it works).

simply put it open nifskope and your file, next expand the hierarchy table to the left, anything named NiNode should be left alone, and anything named NiTriStrips should be converted to NiTriShapes.to convert them to shapes right click on any NiTriStrips>mesh>triangulate, next click spells on the menu bar above>batch>update all tangent spaces, and save your file.

Edited by KiraHanato

I think the issue is that the new Meshes used BSTriShapes instead of NiTriShapes, Some stuff seems to work fine the way it is, but others do not.

Again this is not an issue of having NiTriStrips in use. As I mentioned, none of my models use them, they are all NiTriShapes

Does the new CK have a tool we might be overlooking? I doubt that Bethesda went back and manually altered every NIF in the game

I think the issue is that the new Meshes used BSTriShapes instead of NiTriShapes, Some stuff seems to work fine the way it is, but others do not.

Again this is not an issue of having NiTriStrips in use. As I mentioned, none of my models use them, they are all NiTriShapes

Does the new CK have a tool we might be overlooking? I doubt that Bethesda went back and manually altered every NIF in the game

There is also a BSDynamicTriShape block type in some of the new nifs, for example facegeoms.

I can't find any kind of nif converter with the new CK either. I have a feeling that they wrote some new 3dsMax scripts and re-exported their original max models directly into the new formats.

no there isnt, irrespective of BS or NI it has to be Shapes not Strips since i had a mod which was half broken half working, additionally the software you need can be found on the nifskope site specifically nifskope 2.0(current version is 2.0 beta6) if you cant find it use google it should appear

no there isnt, irrespective of BS or NI it has to be Shapes not Strips since i had a mod which was half broken half working, additionally the software you need can be found on the nifskope site specifically nifskope 2.0(current version is 2.0 beta6) if you cant find it use google it should appear

What you say is true, but icecreamassassin is reporting that he has nifs with no tristrips in them at all, yet they still don't work. So there is something else that needs fixing too, over and above what NifSkope 2 fixes, but we don't understand what it is.

@icecreamassassin - can you try copy/pasting NiTriMesh branches one at a time out of your problem nifs into a harmless SSE one and see when it breaks? If you can narrow it down, it might give us a clue as to what it is about the meshes that SSE doesn't like.

Edited by OldMansBeard