Specular light makes edges on character

Zaflis

Anyone know a fix to issue where specular light makes visible edges on the character? Doesn't happen everywhere but in some places more visible than others. Basically you may have for example a dynamic torch light that flickers smoothly. As it does that the edge is waving on the character surface.

GPU: ATI Radeon HD 5700

Anything that i could change in SkyrimPrefs.ini:

[Display]

iBlurDeferredShadowMask=20

fInteriorShadowDistance=2200.0000

fShadowDistance=1800.0000

iShadowMapResolutionSecondary=1024

iShadowMapResolutionPrimary=2048

iShadowSplitCount=2

iMaxAnisotropy=1

fLeafAnimDampenDistEnd=4600.0000

fLeafAnimDampenDistStart=3600.0000

fTreesMidLODSwitchDist=3600.0000

fGamma=1.0000

fDecalLOD2=1500.0000

fDecalLOD1=1000.0000

fSpecularLODStartFade=200.0000

fShadowLODStartFade=200.0000

fLightLODStartFade=1685.0000

iTexMipMapMinimum=0

iTexMipMapSkip=0

iWaterMultiSamples=0

iMultiSample=4

iShadowMode=4

bTreesReceiveShadows=0

bDrawLandShadows=1

bFull Screen=1

iSize H=1050

iSize W=1680

fMeshLODFadePercentDefault=1.2000

fMeshLODFadeBoundDefault=256.0000

fMeshLODLevel2FadeTreeDistance=2048.0000

fMeshLODLevel1FadeTreeDistance=2844.0000

fMeshLODLevel2FadeDist=3072.0000

fMeshLODLevel1FadeDist=4096.0000

iScreenShotIndex=3

bShadowMaskZPrepass=0

bMainZPrepass=0

iMaxSkinDecalsPerFrame=3

iMaxDecalsPerFrame=10

bFloatPointRenderTarget=0

sD3DDevice="ATI Radeon HD 5700 Series"

bFXAAEnabled=1

iShadowMapResolution=2048

fShadowBiasScale=0.4400

iShadowMaskQuarter=3

iAdapter=0

iPresentInterval=0

iShadowFilter=3

bTransparencyMultisampling=0

bDrawShadows=1

Edited by Zaflis

• 7 months later...

Any solution for this yet? I having this problem with or without any mod installed since the 1.7 patch, no i cant degrade my game's version since using Steam.

Before the 1.7 it was still there until i installed an ENB wich did make it vanish, without ENB it was only slightly visible at cartian light but now since the 1.7 patch came out its terribly visible at multiple light around my character :/

I think that's called seam. It happens normally on body mods, such as using UNP and CBBE together will create seams. It sometimes get rid of itself but if you have mods that affect textures of the body, it will normally occur.

Hmm.. i see. I try fiddle around with my character's texture then, did not changed anything as i said the problem more did appear since the 1.7 patch. Also i only using UNP body, just my character have a custom texture because the tattoos what i did placed on it.

• 1 month later...

I'm rather new to this, but I've been noticing the same thing in my game since I started running with enbs. I'm running 3 different models types, cbbe unp and bettermales, with 9 different textures between them. I don't see it at all on the males, but it looks to me like most of the female textures have a semigloss sheen to them. The edges of the shadows seem to be the start of a rainbow effect caused by shaders in the enbs. I've noticed it more so in v0119 and v017 based enbs than the previous, I think they added an enhanced reflective surfaces or something. The v0113 doesn't share this effect from what I remember. I've been able to compensate using the v0119 and shaders from a v0113 to remove the line, but it makes my shadows splotchy. You might have better results.

If you're not running an enb, then idk? You should! It doesn't happen if I disable it.

www.enbdev.com

• 2 months later...

Well I have good news and bad news for you ...

Good news: I fixed this long ago.

Bad news: I forgot where it was.

Had to re-install lost the mod I was working on.

This is what happen ...

I was editing a room in one of my keeps. Picked out a fire to place in there and when I was testing seen this light line. Only had one source of light so it was easy to tell that one was the problem. I traced the light back to it's real path (ya forgot that too) had something to do with a default light that was really a "shadow light" and "omni" something or other ... I set "something" lower and it fixed it in the whole game (as that info was saved in my mod) ... A few months latter ended up having to re-install Skyrim and the Editor (CK). Now for the life of me can't seem to find that fire light source that made that happen. (not that I've truly really tried) But anyways hope that helps ...

When you find the light doing this, save me some time and send me the info ... thanks

Edited by Jason2112

• 1 month later...