17 members have voted

1. 1. Do you like it?

• Haven't decided yet.
    • Yes, it looks very nice!
    • Yes - other reasons
    • No - It reminds me of MySpace.
    • No - other reason
    • I don't use facebook.

I really like it. FB is already the modern day equivalent of a diary and this gives us even more of a historical record for ourselves now.

How someone can dislike it before even trying it for themselves is a little close-minded.

And as for it being like MySpace.... it isn't. They never had any feature so clever and they allowed too much customization which ended up with some having hideously bogged down profiles.

Finally, it only impacts you if you're actually looking at a profile. Just browsing your wall is no different.

How someone can dislike it before even trying it for themselves is a little close-minded.
Finally, it only impacts you if you're actually looking at a profile. Just browsing your wall is no different.

One doesn't need to "try it" to see exactly what it is and does - in fact, "trying it" has no bearing, as I think you realized in the second quote.

And as for it being like MySpace.... it isn't. They never had any feature so clever and they allowed too much customization which ended up with some having hideously bogged down profiles.

You're entitled your opinion, though the statement I made says nothing about features. On MySpace, too much customization or not, the layout doesn't change - at least, they all look the same to me. Timeline's layout is very similar. Two extremely disorganized columns of data on a page that will extend (at load time) to infinity and beyond. This will cause profiles to take longer to load, as proven by trying to load a friend's timeline just now and it taking nearly 30 seconds - for comparison, it is taking less than 3 seconds to fully load a non-timeline profile. The look is very much like MySpace, and some could argue that the organization on MySpace is slightly better.

The fact that everyone annoys me with invites for Facebook games was also taken into account.

Yeah, that is annoying. I don't remember if it was something I did but I don't get them anymore. Maybe it wasn't something I did, maybe my friends don't play the games lol

Edited by hexorcist

My online life is pretty much my own damn business... Thank you. I don't need yet another company which collects personal information about me and which stores this information indefinitely beyond any of my control. I try not to even use Google because of this sort of thing.

My online life is also multi-faceted and made up of many different games, communities, differing user names, and I happen to like this separation since it allows me to deal with any eventual drama where it starts rather than having it bleed from one place to the next as someone starts looking for ways to cause grief. The less these parts touch, usually the better.

For anything related to real life... That's a solid no. Some of my family members use FB, and even use it to communicate with eachother. Even if there wasn't constant spam from every game that some family member happens to play, there is other crap that, quite frankly, I don't care to waste my time trying to sift through to get to something meaningful. To elaborate, there are a handful of people in my family which take every chance they can to pass on "joke of the day" "prayer of the day" spam to everyone they know, send out political crap constantly, and aren't too good in honoring that whole bit of "please don't send me spam." that I have told them, in person. I don't even share my e-mail with my family on account of this sort of thing.

Put simply, I don't need it, don't want it, and pity anyone who spends more time managing their profile than they do talking face to face with another real person.

My online life is pretty much my own damn business... Thank you. I don't need yet another company which collects personal information about me and which stores this information indefinitely beyond any of my control. I try not to even use Google because of this sort of thing.

My online life is also multi-faceted and made up of many different games, communities, differing user names, and I happen to like this separation since it allows me to deal with any eventual drama where it starts rather than having it bleed from one place to the next as someone starts looking for ways to cause grief. The less these parts touch, usually the better.

For anything related to real life... That's a solid no. Some of my family members use FB, and even use it to communicate with eachother. Even if there wasn't constant spam from every game that some family member happens to play, there is other crap that, quite frankly, I don't care to waste my time trying to sift through to get to something meaningful. To elaborate, there are a handful of people in my family which take every chance they can to pass on "joke of the day" "prayer of the day" spam to everyone they know, send out political crap constantly, and aren't too good in honoring that whole bit of "please don't send me spam." that I have told them, in person. I don't even share my e-mail with my family on account of this sort of thing.

Put simply, I don't need it, don't want it, and pity anyone who spends more time managing their profile than they do talking face to face with another real person.

Defensive much? Nothing was aimed at you so keep your thanks.

Defensive much? Nothing was aimed at you so keep your thanks.

Nope, just giving an example as to someone who has every reason to not use it and possibly dislike it without having registered themselves. It's not close-mindedness, it's being informed of the service and being able to decide what is and is not something a person would gain any benefit from.

• 1 month later...