Very Stange

csgators

Unreported jobs holders versus reported job holders, not more jobs just less undocumented ones. Not very strange. But if have to pick who holds the jobs then I will go with legal residents over illegal ones.

Unreported jobs holders versus reported job holders, not more jobs just less undocumented ones. Not very strange. But if have to pick who holds the jobs then I will go with legal residents over illegal ones.

Agreed. Not to mention the legal ones pay taxes. Maybe.

Unemployment dropped nationwide in October.

If Alabama only saw a similar drop due to "more reported job holders," then its economy is falling behind – per predictions. Specifically:

Most of [tomato farmer] Boatwright's usual workers left Alabama after the new immigration law went into effect in the state...

Some economists theorize that without all those undocumented immigrants, the supply of labor will dry up and businesses will have to pay more to attract new, legal workers. Tomatoes end up costing more, but Alabama's 10 percent employment rate goes down.

But the theory isn't working so far at Boatwright's farm.

"Since this law went in to effect, I've had a total 11 people that were Americans come and ask for work," Boatwright says. "A total of one of those actually came back the next day."

As measured by who? And what are they measuring? Now that people are no longer even looking for work Obama can claim a win I guess. Not to mention that he controls how it's measured and has already changed the way it's measured to help himself.

Edited by csgators

As measured by who? And what are they measuring? Now that people are no longer even looking for work Obama can claim a win I guess. Not to mention that he controls how it's measured and has already changed the way it's measured to help himself.

Am laughing since any good statistician can make anything seem as if it was happening if given control of how the data is acquired or formulated. However no amount of statistical juggling will mean a damn thing the unemployed when they get a chance to vote on whether they would like to stay with Obama's economic policies or go for a change in venue. That old saw "Are you better off than you were four years ago" still resonates with most voters.

The various definitions that go into determining unemployment rates have changed numerous times over the years. Especially during hard economic times. Re-adjust the definitions, so the numbers look better. Standard tactic. Aurielius is also correct in that statistics can be manipulated to say basically anything you want. Just need to make sure you use the 'right' data.....

Another little tidbit is: Those are "Seasonally UNadjusted" numbers. What they don't take into account is the additional staffing put on by various folks for the holiday season. Let's look again in February, and see what the number look like after all those seasonal jobs go away.

If Alabama only saw a similar drop due to "more reported job holders," then its economy is falling behind – per predictions.

As measured by who? And what are they measuring?

So, in summary:

Unemployment drops nationwide: I NEED A SOURCE FOR THAT. OBAMA FUDGED THE NUMBERS. CORRELATION IS NOT CAUSATION!

Unemployment also drops in Alabama: WOOEE! MEXICANS TOOK 'ER JERBS! NOW WE KIN TAKE 'EM BACK! GIT DEM WETBACKS OUT OUR STATE!

If Alabama only saw a similar drop due to "more reported job holders," then its economy is falling behind – per predictions.

As measured by who? And what are they measuring?

So, in summary:

Unemployment drops nationwide: I NEED A SOURCE FOR THAT. OBAMA FUDGED THE NUMBERS. CORRELATION IS NOT CAUSATION!

Unemployment also drops in Alabama: WOOEE! MEXICANS TOOK 'ER JERBS! NOW WE KIN TAKE 'EM BACK! GIT DEM WETBACKS OUT OUR STATE!

Don't you think that the latter half of your jibe is just a little condescending towards southerners? Somewhat disingenuous for someone who at one point supported State's Rights or is that only when it fits within your ideological matrix?