How to get the Minutemen vs BoS (Specifics only, please)

Levantinium

I've been wading through pages of internet threads and posts from reddit and even imgur, to here. Yet no one provides any specific instances of how to do it. It seems like most people think it's programmed to do it inevitably regardless of player choice. My first playthrough, I got all three factions to be peaceful with each other and didn't even realize they could fight each other, despite the rhetoric from the NPCs.

So now I would like to know what path I need to go through. For example, do I need to skip a certain mission, or play a certain mission a different way? Do I need to just start killing BoS members before a certain mission ends/begins? Etc...

In my previous playthrough, I had helped Danse retrieve the long range transmitter, but refused to join the BoS. I played through the RR missions, and told Desdamona about the teleporter schematics after I told Preston. Desdamona gave me the mission to infiltrate the Institute, and I accepted, but I had already been given the mission by the Minutemen for this. I then spoke with Shaun and accepted the Bunker Hill mission, and I never planted the Railroad information. But, I did warn the Railroad that the Institute is going to attack, and I lied that I failed the mission Desdamona gave me. This led to the BoS AND the Railroad defending Bunker Hill, and the BoS won and killed off all Railroad members, making Bunker Hill a BoS settlement. I then destroyed the Institute with the Minutemen. This created a peace between all three factions, and I was unable to break that peace. Even killing every single BoS patrol I could find never turned them hostile against me. I had no way of getting to the Prydwen after that, so I couldn't kill any key BoS members. I want to avoid this. I want a clear path to pitting the Minutemen against the BoS.

Please keep this specific and let's not go into "well you should side with the BoS - no way, MM4lyfe" tit-for-tat that plagues all other threads on this topic. It's incredibly hard sifting through all of that when you just want a straight, go-here-do-that type of answer.

I also want would like to be able to control Bunker Hill as a settlement or safehouse, so I'm looking to do the Bunker Hill quest for Shaun but then warning the Railroad about it. However, if that's not possible in order to achieve the MM vs BoS ending, then let me know, please. Ideally I'd like Bunker Hill to be a MM settlement, but I don't think this is possible. All playthroughs I looked through say it can either be neutral, or RR or BoS settlement.

Edited by Levantinium

To kill off the BOS via MM, you would need to go deeper into the Institute questline to make BOS enemy.

Join MM. Use them to get into Institute.

Accept invitation to stay in Institute.

Play Institute questline and you will get institute quest that will make BOS permanent enemy.

A later Institute quest, you can help MM rather than Institute, which will get you banned from Institute.

To kill off the BOS via MM, you would need to go deeper into the Institute questline to make BOS enemy.

Join MM. Use them to get into Institute.

Accept invitation to stay in Institute.

Play Institute questline and you will get institute quest that will make BOS permanent enemy.

A later Institute quest, you can help MM rather than Institute, which will get you banned from Institute.

Is there a way to do it without going deeper into the Institute quests past the Bunker Hill one?

Is there a way to do it without going deeper into the Institute quests past the Bunker Hill one?

Not sure.

Is there a reason you do not want to proceed with Institute past Bunker Hill quest? If it so you can get Bunker Hill as settlement, then that does not matter. Once main questline complete, go to Bunker Hill, speak to the woman who runs the place, she will say somethng like "you have powerful friends, I want no trouble, you have full run of the place", you can then use the workbench/set up settlement.

Not sure.

Is there a reason you do not want to proceed with Institute past Bunker Hill quest? If it so you can get Bunker Hill as settlement, then that does not matter. Once main questline complete, go to Bunker Hill, speak to the woman who runs the place, she will say somethng like "you have powerful friends, I want no trouble, you have full run of the place", you can then use the workbench/set up settlement.

I did not know that, thank you.

The only reason was for roleplaying reasons. I did it the first time by accident, and after I finished the game, I read some spoilers and liked the way I had played it out. I might have to do some console cheating to get the hostility of the BoS, but I'd rather avoid that. I just can't find a guide anywhere that details how the four factions respond to each other through the quests you do for them (example: after this quest, you have this option with this faction, but not before doing this quest for them which affects this quest for faction c, etc...).

As far as I know, if you finish the main questline and side againt the BOS(meaning, you destroy the Institute but not with the BOS), the BOS take (or should take) a dislike to the MM artillery, and radiant quests start: "Defend Artillery", which leads to MM and BOS becoming enemies. But I think that is bugged, as I have never seen that radiant quest.

I think after main quest line, the game should not stop you becoming permanent enemy with the BOS.

I will see if I can find a saved game for me to test (to see if I can force BOS to become enemy).

---------------------------------------------

The only way I found was to kill elder maxon, yes, I had joined the BOS earlier in that game. After that, talk to Preston, and he says its time to deal with the BOS.

So all I can suggest if you do not want to go deeper into Institute questline, is to join BOS early in main quest line, and follow thier questline up until at least getting access to the airship. You can then kill Maxon if you want them to become permanent enemy.

The earliest available opportunity to make the BoS hostile is the Institute quest Mass Fusion. I suppose you don't even have to complete that, iirc there is a moment early in that quest where you are warned that progressing any further will turn the BoS hostile.

You can destroy the Institute by going down the RR quest line, which also gives you the opportunity to destroy the BoS as the penultimate quest along their story line. Or if you prefer, you could also go via the MM route by failing Tradecraft and getting Banished from the Institute. This route also results in the eventual destruction of the BoS.

Just to share, I used this post on Reddit and you may find it useful: https://www.reddit.com/r/Fallout/comments/42965r/comprehensive_guide_to_not_destroying_factions_in/

It has a chart that pretty much sums up the main quests for each faction and how they relate to each other.

Good luck!