FIX for CTDs and Missing Textures- 32bit Large Memory Access

LMahesa

One thing I noticed when opening my boot.ini is I have more then one line:

[boot loader]

timeout=30

default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS

[operating systems]

multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect /usepmtimer

Do I duplicate & edit the default=multi line or the one beneath it? (I'm guessing I'm supposed to edit the bottom most line and add in the /3GB right before the /noexecute line) but I want to get confirmation before I accidentally bork up my system and need to re-install the OS.

Edit: Never mind I figured it out, it's the second line, not the default= one.

On a side note, before this I was suffering continual hang ups on the level transition loading screens, (where it would crash and stay on the loading screen forever) with this fix I can now level transition/fast travel without any more hangs. http://forums.nexusmods.com/public/style_emoticons/dark/biggrin.gif

Excellent fix, and well worth the time to make work, no unwanted side effects so far with usual system operation (and none expected tbh) so imho it's well worth a try if you've tried everything else and are just about ready to give it up.

Edit 2:

Well it seems this fix does cause a few errors, (tried it on 2 different computers, each gave a different problem.

PC#1: it seemed to work well, but after exiting the game and trying to relaunch it after supper I got a BSOD along with a nv.dll display error, (Likely because the graphics card attempts to use Ram that the 3GB switch has already allocated.)

PC#2: When trying to launch the game after exiting It gave a Steam error code 3 and refused to launch until after a system restart.

In short the fix works as long as I'm willing to reboot my PC between every play session, (which is a PITA with how often I play for 30 minutes stretches through out the day every few hours as work allows.

Anyone else ran into these kinds of bugs? if so what did you do to fix them?

Edited by Silveressa

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...

Hi there,

It worked. Now i can play the game in high texture (not the high resolution texture pack DLC). I have a question. For those who own 32 bit Windows, can have an option to download a kernel patch over the internet. It is save to download and it worked for me, now i have 3.85 GB of RAM free (it removed the 4GB RAM limiter for windows 32 bit). Now, can i change this line? bcedit/set increaseUserVa 3072 to bcedit/set increaseUserVa 4000? Because i have 4GB of RAM (3.85 this is why i ask first before doing it).

Thanks

So I've been having problems with Skyrim for a while now. Almost a week actually. I have Uninstalled, Reinstalled, Tweaked, Hacked, Lowered Settings, and cursed my way into a corner I thought. I have played through the Intro sequence so MANY times that I'm sick of it! Really... It makes me wanna throw up. Although I might make a tomb for Lokir and that one guy that gets beheaded, just because I have a special bond with them now. Anywho, onto the main subject. I've tried just about every possible tweak, hack, or mod available to try and get this thing to run. I would ALWAYS crash during Alduin's shout, When I got to Embershard mine, and when I loaded Riverwood. Or left riverwood. It would ALWAYS crash, almost 100% of the time. Thats why I always did the intro. I knew if it wasn't fixed it would crash.

I thought it was my mods towards the tail end of it, so the ONLY thing I installed was Armors... and Cities and Villages Enhanced, Blood mod, and some other nit-pick little things. Things that didn't even CHANGE normal values in the game or run scripts.

Nope, kept on-a-crashing. I was getting so pissed, I couldn't find anything wrong. I CFF edited TESV.exe. It was fine, SKSE_loader.exe was fine as well. Both allowed 4GB. STILL crashed.

Now that I did this little trick right here, played through all of helgen, in riverwood, went back out to embershard mine, now on my way to Bleak Falls Barrow, and NOT A SINGLE CRASH, or glitch, or anything!

It actually makes my game run HELLA smoother as well. I don't get 60FPS, but it sure feels like it. Sept for cities cause I have the Cities and Villages Enhanced, but thats totally okay with me.

THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR THIS! I searched for the solution for a WEEK! This NEEDS to be stickied for EVERYONE to see! This is incredibly important. Thank you once again!

Current load order, NO CRASH!:

Skyrim.esm
Update.esm
Dawnguard.esm
HearthFires.esm
ApachiiHair.esm
3rdEraWeaponsMoS.esm
Ket_ARMONIZER_v2.esm
SPIKE.esm
HighResTexturePack01.esp
HighResTexturePack02.esp
HighResTexturePack03.esp
Unofficial Skyrim Patch.esp
Unofficial Dawnguard Patch.esp
Unofficial Hearthfire Patch.esp
Chesko_LoreBasedLoadingScreens.esp
SkyUI.esp
BlackSacramentArmor.esp
BlackSacramentDBReplacer.esp
ExtendedVanillaWeapons.esp
hothtrooper44_ArmorCompilation.esp
SeraticArmor.esp
SeraticHeavyArmorDark.esp
SeraticHeavyArmorGray.esp
3rdEraWeapMoS-lvlList.esp
armored-horses.esp
Immersive Weapons.esp
Ket_ARMONIZER_LListsNPC.esp
dD - Enhanced Blood Main.esp
dD-Dawnguard-EBT Patch.esp
dD - Realistic Ragdoll Force - Realistic.esp
Better Vampires.esp
Apocalypse - The Spell Package.esp
DeadlySpellImpacts.esp
Path of Shadows.esp
ACE Realistic Fighting.esp
ACE BYOG.esp
ACE Speech.esp
ACE Archery.esp
ACE Armor.esp
ACE Enchanting.esp
ACE Magic.esp
ACE Melee.esp
ACE Smithing.esp
ACE Synergy.esp
ACE Archery-Weapons of the Third Era Patch.esp
dD-No Spinning Death Animation.esp
TheEyesOfBeauty.esp
Reduced Distance NPC Greetings.esp
Spousetocustomhome.esp
alternate start - live another life.esp
TownsAndCitiesEnhanced.esp
RiverwoodEnhancedPlugin.esp
TAVERiften.esp
TAVESolitude.esp
TAVEWindhelm.esp
WhiterunInEnhanced.esp
RealisticRoomRental.esp
RRR_Hearthfire-Patch.esp
Bashed Patch, 0.esp

Edited by SymVoid

• 2 weeks later...

@SymVoid

Where is your merge patch?

Don't load the high texture pack using the esp files use this:

How to use the new Official Hi-Res texture pack with user created mods:
1. Disable esps that came with the official texture pack.
2. Backup then open
Skyrim.ini
it can be found in Documents MyGames Skyrim
3. Change this in both files:
Find
[Archive]
sResourceArchiveList=Skyrim - Misc.bsa, Skyrim - Shaders.bsa, Skyrim - Textures.bsa, Skyrim - Interface.bsa, Skyrim - Animations.bsa, Skyrim - Meshes.bsa, Skyrim - Sounds.bsa
Change it to:
[Archive]
sResourceArchiveList=Skyrim - Misc.bsa, Skyrim - Shaders.bsa, Skyrim - Textures.bsa, Skyrim - Interface.bsa, Skyrim - Animations.bsa, Skyrim - Meshes.bsa, Skyrim - Sounds.bsa, HighResTexturePack01.bsa, HighResTexturePack02.bsa
4. Save both files.
Now user created mods will be able to override what they need to override in the official texture pack.
Make sure you unofficial patches are up to date.
You have too many mods edit the save leveled list you need Wrye Bash to deal with that it would be best for you to take the time and go through all these videos to fully understand what is happening. If not you have to go at least through this.
If the issues persists PM me.

@DarkAngel13

Thanks for the info, I don't use the Hi Res DLC because it lags my game out. Everything runs fine now, that was an old build that ran fine also. I don't have any problems out of my game now, but I have also lowered my mod count to SkyRE, SkyUI, Immersive Armors, Black Sacrement, and some odd and end replacers like the EBT, Unofficial Pathes, and MessageBox and Dialog mods. Also using a Performance ENB. So far so good. No problems, Although I finally got a hold of a 64bit Windows 7.

Cheers buddy, I've been banging my head against the wall with this all week. Performance manager was showing me crashing out whenever I hit 1gb of ram usage. Now I know why! You saved my Monitor a trip out the window with this little doosey.

• 3 weeks later...

I Don't know how should i say this..
THANK YOU! as far i play was no more CTD hahahaha, finally i can enjoy playing Skyrim..
at first i think CTD was cause by some mod that i was installed, well i think that's too but with this seriously, as far as i play until now i haven't meet CTD!(please no more CTD) so Thanks.. Arigato gozaimasu! #bow
You're the best! #Luciasoundthenrunningwithaflag