Railroad Mod

Skyviper086

There's a scene in Fallout 3 Broken Steel where a subway train comes through and runs over some feral ghouls.

Haha! That's hilarious :laugh: I've played through BS so many times, I can't believe I missed that.

Also F3, but this guy designed a passenger car for the subway, with repeating graphics to simulate movement while inside.

That's really awesome, very creative. What mod is this from if you don't mind me asking? Or is it that guy's personal project?

You could have it begin as a series of quests, where you capture the escaped powders and put them back to work clearing the tracks. Or maybe you could convince some of those lazy workers at Sloan to help, since they never actually go back to work even after you clear momma deathclaw and her family out.

Sloan actually does say in the dialog that the NCR have working trains, and that they are how the concrete is being transported once its mined. I think he speculates they are using it at the Dam and Fort McCaran to reinforce defenses.

I like that story. I think as the player progresses and the company grows the player could encounter problems such as the local caravan companies wanting to burn the train company down. And then can also be other things that attack the trains as they are in route.

The west was tamed by the railroad in the past why couldn't the railroad help tame the Mojave?

If a practical way to get this mod to work is found then the applications are endless. Players could trade with other settlements outside the Mojave. Or there could be a script that would allow one faction to stronger or weaker depending on who the player wishes to supply. Of course you don't have to have all of these things visible such as the factions. They can be an off map thing going on that we will never see however we can get awarded for our actions in various ways. Perhaps helping one faction take back their town will give the player money and access to new equipment such as a weapon or armor.

Lastly making money is useless if you have nothing to show for it. So why couldn't the player build a mansion, piece by piece, in a per-designated area?

Feel free to ignore this post.

However I'm pleased that some of you like idea of controlling a railroad.

Edited by Skyviper086

• 9 months later...

OK, so this really isn't much, but for a couple hours work I figure it's something.

I'm giving a go at the California Zephyr mainly because of the observation-dome car at the end (this being unique to the line, IIRC) but the general cars are common to the Super Chief as well, so....

also all the cars in the CZ were of identical length/dimensions whereas with the Super Chief I think the baggage car for instance is shorter.

http://imageshack.us/a/img842/3517/czobs.png

http://imageshack.us/a/img38/4855/czoutline.png

and this last one was a quick 5 minute do-over using a different technique, both are still there of course.

http://imageshack.us/a/img18/7108/take2o.png

No matter how I cut it the dome's a B*** to plot out, and the wheels will probably take a lot longer (ish) but still aside from the dome the cars themselves are remarkably simple, unless you go overboard with detail (like I end up doing) and/or want the interiors, which is a must... ah well. Could probably use a separate interior mesh in this case, especially for travel.

After the car bodies are done I'll try (key word try) to make the interiors, or perhaps some more... wastelandish custom cars. I'm thinking of a traveling city of sorts, a hodge-podge of cabooses (apartments for the "upper classes") makeshift hobo sleepers (everyone else :teehee: ) and maybe even a "smelting/industry" car for recycling steel etc. for rails or parts... I figure they'd want to make new rails and tracks etc. THe ballast and ties are easy, grind up rock (track maintenance cars IRL actually have a crusher for this) and/or make concrete slabs for the rails... I figure have pre-war ghoul survivors running the thing. Throw in a dome car greenhouse of sorts and an armored plow on front of the engine heh.

Again not sure how much I can do, really, or more accurately whether it would be something I could do in any non-painful length of time, I have a tendency to underestimate the difficulty of "detail" work.

Anyone else want to give a go at railroad models, or browse for open-source models on the web? Switches, other railcars, stations, heck even a high-detail mesh replacer for the tracks or something along those lines. If someone could make some bogies that would save a LOT of repetitive work, otherwise I might try to salvage the one I'm still making for the Sunset Train engine model. The thing's a PITA especially given that it's hidden from a lot of the reference images, the undercarriage of the 4-4-0 engine's probably taken longer than the body itself.

• 6 months later...

I know this topic is serveral years old but it just hit me about how to get the trains to move together (well from teh outside anyway)

J3X has a mod the motorcycle mod. I noticed when ridding with companions htey stay in a formation and the wheels move.

Im thinking replace with bikes with train cars and locomotives and have them ride in a single file line on a designated path on the tracks.

And trooper I don't how I didn't see what you posted the first time but wow those models look good.

• 3 weeks later...

Fine idea, if executed properly. You could do something similar to the Chrysler Corvega Mod and simply click on the train to move from point a to point b. The only problem with this is that sorta takes away from the fun of having a train in general. That doesn't mean it couldn't succeed if someone took that route but you'd have to include more than just a train. Things like NPCs Quests etc.

• 3 months later...