Best merchant to buy from?

Pineapplerum

I haven't seen a single merchant who could buy more than a single banishment-enchanted iron dagger. As for the regular loot, Whiterun has nice commposition: two smiths with 1000+ gold each, an archer merchant with something under 1000, and a general store with ~1000.

Well... I just use iron daggers as currency anyway.

I really dislike that the merchants have so little money. I think the first thing I'm gonig to do when the CK is released will be to either drastically increase the amount of money merchants have, or drastically decrease the price at which they will buy things from you. or both.

I often find myself buying the most expensive thing a merchant has before attampting to sell anything to them. I might buy and resell this same item a few times, just to empty out my inventory some. My primary character has 60,000 or so gold, and all houses except the one in Windhelm, which I can't buy because I can't get Blood in the Ice to trigger for him, so money isn't really an issue at this point. Never really has been, in all honesty. I find that aside from that first 5000 to get Breezehome, money is mostly useless. I think the only time I actually buy anything from a merchant is when I need a few Ebony ingots for crafting a new Daedric weapon.

Complete the four Thieves Guild improvement quests that Delvin gives out as "special jobs" (you have to do five jobs from Vex or Delvin in each city to get the special job for that city--Windhelm, Markath, Solitude or Whiterun--so make sure you decline quests for cities you've completed or aren't one of those 4 and keep declining until they give you both quests in the same city). After that, you will open up all of the fences in the game and they will all have a base gold of 4000 each and buy anything from you.

It also opens up some more convenient spots to sell goods. You can fast travel very closely to the Khajiit Caravan by fast traveling to the Whiterun Stables and the Honningbrew Meadery in Whiterun is already a fast travel point. Also, the Winking Skeever in Solitude opens up as a shop, which is very close to the entrance.

Early on in the game, one good place to sell stuff is Riften. Fast travel to Mistveil Keep, since it's right outside the market. You then have three vendors, all with 750 base gold, who will buy *anything.* Plus another 1000 or so for the guy in the General Store and the Blacksmith is right outside to buy weapons. This is great, because it minimizes load screens.

Also, always buy before you sell. Make sure the merchant doesn't have anything you want before you start selling, since anything you buy adds to their base gold. After a certain point in the game the only thing I ever buy, though, are high level arrows and lockpicks. If you do the Stones of Barenziah selling goods becomes nearly impossible without unlocking all of the fences because you literally collect anything from 1-5 gems from every single urn, quest, or already dead corpse. You'll often have 10,000-20,000 gold just in gems after leaving a dungeon. (By already dead corpse I mean when you enter an area to already have NPCs dead on the ground or the naked draugr corpses that don't come alive. The game seems to register them as containers and fill them up with extra loot from the Stones of Barenziah perk as if they were an urn or chest.)

Alternatively, you can use the console to add gold to a vendor on the PC. Open the console, click on the vendor NPC, then use "additem f <amount of gold>." The game seems to bug out above 30,000 gold and will sometimes not pay you for items you sell, so I'd suggest no more than 20,000. It's cheating, but it saves time. That vendor seems to keep the additional gold even after 48 hours.

Edited by debuskjt

Also, still "cheating," but I keep a list of NPC RefIDs for people I need to see a lot. If you're on the PC, typing "player.moveto <RefID>" saves a ton of time.

For instance, using RefID 00028938 you will always go to Vex in the Ragged Flagon. Then you don't have to fast travel to the Thieves Guild entrance in the Riften grave yard (a load screen), open the tomb, open the door to the Ragged Flagon Cistern (a load screen), run to the door for the Ragged Flagon (a third load screen), and then navigate the hall just to talk to Vex, Delvin, or Tonilia. Why two such small areas (The Ragged Flagon and the Cistern) weren't loaded into memory together is beyond me, but the load times start giving you an eye twitch after a while.

You seem very confused. You said you're looking for a merchant to buy from, but you're actually looking for a merchant to sell to.

So I don't know if this is the case for anyone else, but in my game the Riverwood Trader guy has like 11,000 gold at any given time. Might be a glitch. But either way, it's a lifesaver when I have tons to sell!

Edited by natelovesyou

You seem very confused. You said you're looking for a merchant to buy from, but you're actually looking for a merchant to sell to.

So I don't know if this is the case for anyone else, but in my game the Riverwood Trader guy has like 11,000 gold at any given time. Might be a glitch. But either way, it's a lifesaver when I have tons to sell!

I take it you invested in his shop? My brother did that and got 11K as well so it's not just you.