High Elves, Bretons and Orcs: Top Three Races 1st Edition

PunjabPirate

Strongest Racial Attribute.  

121 members have voted

1. 1. What race do you feel has the best inate powers?

The intent of this article is to prove that in Skyrim characters that are High Elf, Orc or Breton are superior to the other selectable races. Before I begin I'd like to state that no race hits harder with arrows, swords, axes, maces, hammers, daggers, or magic then the next race. No race swings their weapon arm faster, or casts spells faster. What makes the races truly different is their racial attributes. The three I am going to discuss have the best racial attributes out of the 10.

Altmer:

The High Elves start off with +50 in the magic stat more than any other race. Meaning that right off the bat they have 5 levels worth of extra magicka. Their once a day greater power increases the rate at with they regenerate magicka for 60 seconds. These are both very convenient and opportunistic features.

Breton:

What makes them stand apart from the other races is their resistance to magical attacks. The Bretons are blessed with 25% magic resistance. This is almost like having 2.5 perks more than everyone else. The reasoning behind this is; in the Alteration tree perks can be allotted to Magicka Resistance. The maximum number of perks used here is 3, each incrementing perk adds 10% magicka resistance thus earning a maximum of 30% resistance. Earning 55% resistance via racial attribute and perks coupled with the Lord Stone activated gives the player 80% magicka resistance. Almost maximum protection, max resistance is 85%. This frees up their armor/clothing slots for useful enchantments. Their greater power once per day, when active, enables for 60 seconds. A 50% chance for all magicka thrown their way to be nullified and absorbed. If that fails, the magicka resistance kicks in earning Bretons the title of master dragon/mage killer.

Orc:

Ahh the Orcs. Probably the most improved upon race from Oblivion. Their racial attribute, unlike the Altmer and Bretons is just in effect once per day. For 60 seconds the Orcs dish out double damage on Bows and Melee weapons. This ability amplifies and stacks onto other bonuses that are in effect i.e. sneak attacks and weapons fortified with damage increasing enchantments. Granted that this power is only active for 60 seconds, and only available once per day. But, when it is in effect, boy do they dish out serious damage. (1 hit K.O on Ancient Dragon while on Master Difficulty, using iron weaponry)

Why The Others are Inferior (power wise)

Argonian:

Start off with 50% resistance to disease, permanent ability to]breath under water, and the Hist power. A once per day ability that increases natural health regeneration by 10 times for 60 seconds.

FLAWS:

50% resist disease is nullified if the player is a vampire or a werewolf, not to mention potions and prayer. The ability to breathe under water is not exclusive to just them, water breathing is a spell which can be cast by any race and is easily kept constant due to its low magicka consumption. As for their Hist power. This is basically a restoration spell which amplifies "natural" regeneration by 10x. This does not instantly heal the player, rendering it a weak restoration spell. It only comes in handy at the start of the game, where the enemies are at the weakest variants.

Khajiit:

The cats have a constant bonus to unarmed attacks, they do 4x more damage unarmed than the other races. Coupled with their Night Eye power; an ability to activate night vision on command.

FLAWS:

Unarmed attacks will never reach the potential weapons have. Weapons can dish out ranged and sneak damage as well as defend better, not to mention the loss of distance between player and foe. As for Night Eye; this lesser power can be acquired if the player is a vampire or a werewolf. Or simpler yet, by turning their in-game/T.Vs brightness up.

Bosmer:

They have 50% resistance to both poison and disease. Their racial ability is Command Animal; make an animal an ally for 60 seconds, once per day.

FLAWS:

Poison resistance is useful. Yes. However, disease resistance is nerfed if the player is a vampire or werewolf. Their command animal spell only comes in handy if they are in an area where there are animals. The strongest ally they could control is a mammoth, not a dragon or atronach. Inside cities, dungeons or buildings, it is like they have nothing going for them other than that poison resistance. They aren't even the best archer class in the game, Orcs when enraged do double damage with bows. Orc Vs Bosmer(
classic archer race
) range duel: Bosmer would get smashed, animal help or no animal help.

Dunmer:

Dunmer posses a constant 50% resistance to fire based magicka. Their racial ability: Ancestors Wrath: Once per day for 60 seconds, opponents that get too close take 8 points per second of fire damage.

FLAWS:

Unlike the Breton, they have resistance to only fire magicka attacks. This means they are still 100% susceptible to ice, lightning, and any other form of hazardous magicka. Only half the dragons are fire variants, meaning that they are only effective against half. The Ancestors Wrath ability isn't very damaging in the long run, sure 8 points per second is useful at the start. After you've passed the level 46 benchmark and Ancient Dragons/Highest level enemy Variants start to appear. Your boned if you have to rely on this power.

Nord:

The
Norwegian
Nords posses a constant 50% resistance to ice based magicka. Their racial ability: Battle Cry: Once per day for 30 seconds, Targets flee.

FLAWS:

Unlike the Breton, they have resistance to only ice magicka attacks. This means they are still 100% susceptible to fire, lightning, and any other form of hazardous magicka. Only half the dragons are ice variants, meaning that they are only effective against half. Their greater power is also somewhat obsolete, after all its just a free once per day fear spell. Any race can gain access to this type of effect, rendering it useless in the latter game.

Imperial:

Their constant ability allows for them to find more gold in more places. The once per day duration ability; Voice of the Emperor, calms HUMAN NPCs for 60 seconds, regardless of level.

FLAWS:

This is probably the worst races, when racial attributes are weighed. Finding gold coins is useful for the first 5 hours of the game. When loot/potions/enchants becomes your primary source of income, finding chump change is not really significantly raising your bank. Their Voice greater power only affects humanoid enemies, meaning that if they asked a Dragon, Draugr, Spider, Witch, Troll, Animal, or a Dwemer Construct to "please calm down". Their answer would be; a missing face. Not only this, the in game calm spell is much more potent, it carries over to most/all enemy types (if certain perks are met). Rendering their Voice power obsolete.

Redguard: pending...

When responding please do not just answer "Noooo all races are equal! They all can best one another it just depends on the skill level of the player!!!!" or something along those lines. If you feel that another should have made the cut. Provide facts as to why, no abstract replies.

Edited by PunjabPirate

Choice of race and their inherent power is never a concern to me.

It is a matter of choice and personal preference.

And there is no such thing as a superior race. Sure High Elf gets extra magicka, but that only mean an early advantage in the game.

I play Bosmer, Argonian and Khajit for the interesting response they elicits from NPCs.

Then again, some people go for aesthetic appearance. And orcs are just too ugly? lol

Skyrim is generally easy enough that you don't really have to worry about racial bonuses. I'm currently playing a Khajiit who does no fighting at all and is way more fun than my Orc or Altmer characters. It's play style that matters, not what makes you the most powerful.

Skyrim is generally easy enough that you don't really have to worry about racial bonuses. I'm currently playing a Khajiit who does no fighting at all and is way more fun than my Orc or Altmer characters. It's play style that matters, not what makes you the most powerful.

Alrighty. That's fun role-playing.

Playing a dumb hack-and-slack, blast-it-all warrior/wizard is just plain boring...

Dude, my first character was an Orc girl and I fully concede that she beat the ever living crap out of all enemies who dared stand in her path. That's not the point. You don't need to feel constrained in your choice of races based solely on which is the most powerful. There are so many different ways to play this game and the builds that most effectively deliver combat and magic damage aren't necessarily the most enjoyable builds to play with. Edited by CalibanX

Alter, Bretons and Orcs? Three races I haven't been yet, so I can't judge.

Really, one of the best races (occuring in all games) is Dunmer, simply because of their resistance to fire. Fire is easily the most common form of offensive magic, so basically Dunmer are good for killing mages and dragons.

Dude, my first character was an Orc girl and I fully concede that she beat the ever living crap out of all enemies who dared stand in her path. That's not the point. You don't need to feel constrained in your choice of races based solely on which is the most powerful. There are so many different ways to play this game and the builds that most effectively deliver combat and magic damage aren't necessarily the most enjoyable builds to play with.

This is a poll. It is not bashing of races. It is a fact some races are better than the other.

I see no problems in it? If somebody want to powergame, they choose Breton or Orc. If somebody want to RP, they do whatever they want. It still does not change the fact: Some races are better.

And my choice: Breton. The magick resistance is amazing, and with Alteration and a certain Stone, you can hit 80% magic resistance without any problems. This means I can enchat my gear with other goodies.

Edited by Matth85