ℹ️ Intermittent Download History issues ×

Where to download The Compressonator?

inawe

I just found out today that normal and specular maps for Fallout 4 are supposed to be saved in BC5 format. I also read that the GIMP DDS plugin doesn't save to that format in the way that Fallout 4 expects. I don't have Photoshop, so it seems that The Compressonator is what I need to use for saving to BC5 format.

Is there anywhere that I can download a Windows executable for the current version of The Compressonator? According to the program's webpage, the current version is 2.3. Only source code downloads are offered there though, no executables. I don't own Visual Studio, so I can't compile it for myself. The only exe download I can find is for version 1.5 from 2008 on AMD's webpage. Is that old version what people are using? Does it correctly support saving to BC5 format?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Edited by inawe

Did you check the Github repository? https://github.com/GPUOpen-Tools/Compressonator

There is a 2.3 download with an exe in the releases section - is that what you are after? Other than that, I have no idea. But it looks like there is a 2.3 version there, and the date says it was released 4 July 2016 so it seems to be recent enough as well.

Did you check the Github repository? https://github.com/GPUOpen-Tools/Compressonator

There is a 2.3 download with an exe in the releases section - is that what you are after? Other than that, I have no idea. But it looks like there is a 2.3 version there, and the date says it was released 4 July 2016 so it seems to be recent enough as well.

How in the world did I miss that? I must have looked at that page at least ten times trying to find an exe download, but didn't see the release link at all. Thanks for pointing it out.

How in the world did I miss that? I must have looked at that page at least ten times trying to find an exe download, but didn't see the release link at all. Thanks for pointing it out.

No problem. The "releases" link/section is there in every Github repository, if you want to check whether a repository has releases tagged. It is not too prominent, though, so I can definitely understand not spotting it immediately.

Also thank you for pointing out that tool. I use the Gimp DDS plugin myself, too, but since that one does not seem to be updated any longer, it is great to know of free alternatives like that. :thumbsup:

• 4 weeks later...

Just so you know ... FO4 doesn't care about the file format. It will happily use the older DXT5 compression that Skyrim used.So you can happily use something like Paint.net to edit and save files. In fact they even gave up using ATi 3DC compression with some of the DLC's assets.

The Alpha channel in the normal map no longer controls the glossiness, that is now handled with the red and green channels in the specular map - So yellow (128 Red + 128 Green) will be about leather/vinyl level of shiny. There is also a bunch of other stuff now handled in the Material Files.