How to make a hair for skyrim using 3ds max?

lovedby

Hi, Could anyone know how to make new hair for skyrim using 3ds max ?

I can make armors or clothes because there are some of good tutorials in forum, but I didn't find any tutorial about hair modding.

I just imported one of original hair to 3ds max and exported it without any modificaton. And then I replaced BSLightingShaderProperty with original BSLightingShaderProperty. However, when I adjust it to skyrim, It was not shown and just seems to have disappeared even if I didn't modify at all.

I think hair modding is different from other modding. Could anyone know hair modding or where exist good tutorials ?

• 2 weeks later...

When I'm ready, I'll put this info and more on a wiki somewheres.

Hair models aren't too much different. Workflow is the same as others, even short styles are rigged to the head bone. Best to copy a shader property from a vanilla hair to get the right settings for now. The model must be oriented at "head height", with transforms applied/frozen at that position, then rigged before export. I mention of this because the heads are actually oriented at scene center (0,0,0), but have transforms to put them atop the shoulders (head height). Your model will also need vertex colors.

The first difference is the [filename]hairline.nif, which I assume is defined in the esm when the hair is set up. It's the 'underneath' model that stays visible when wearing certain headgear, so the character doesn't go bald.

The second is the use of a [filename].tri file. If you're replacing a hairstyle that has one, you will need to create one for your new model, this is done via The Conformulator. Or if your hairstyle covers the face below the brows, or sits very close to the neck and shoulders, you will need one as well. .tri files are part of the facial animation system, and also manage the _0 / _1 weight morphs seen in bodies.

- Export your hair from NifSkope as an obj, it won't read a skyrim nif, and this ensures the vertex index matches the .nif

- Run the conformulator, using the appropriate head.tri as a source, and your obj as the target.

- Opt to generate a .tri file. (hair morph is only valid for oblivion)

- Done! Discard the .egm file as these are also not valid for Skyrim.

When I'm ready, I'll put this info and more on a wiki somewheres.

Hair models aren't too much different. Workflow is the same as others, even short styles are rigged to the head bone. Best to copy a shader property from a vanilla hair to get the right settings for now. The model must be oriented at "head height", with transforms applied/frozen at that position, then rigged before export. I mention of this because the heads are actually oriented at scene center (0,0,0), but have transforms to put them atop the shoulders (head height). Your model will also need vertex colors.

The first difference is the [filename]hairline.nif, which I assume is defined in the esm when the hair is set up. It's the 'underneath' model that stays visible when wearing certain headgear, so the character doesn't go bald.

The second is the use of a [filename].tri file. If you're replacing a hairstyle that has one, you will need to create one for your new model, this is done via The Conformulator. Or if your hairstyle covers the face below the brows, or sits very close to the neck and shoulders, you will need one as well. .tri files are part of the facial animation system, and also manage the _0 / _1 weight morphs seen in bodies.

- Export your hair from NifSkope as an obj, it won't read a skyrim nif, and this ensures the vertex index matches the .nif

- Run the conformulator, using the appropriate head.tri as a source, and your obj as the target.

- Opt to generate a .tri file. (hair morph is only valid for oblivion)

- Done! Discard the .egm file as these are also not valid for Skyrim.

Tried this but when I run the conformulator it says "no corresponding .egm file for head tri file". is there a work-around to this or am I doing something incorrectly?

I had the same problem. A sort of hack workaround for this is to open up the tri file in notepad, keep the first reference numbers and letters (something like FRTRI003, will be all caps) delete the rest. Re-save as *.tri not *.tri.txt obviously. This gets rid of all morph animations and you will be left with static hair, but it will load without crashing.

I'm still trying to figure out how to use pytff to read/write tri files but am lost as hell! Can anyone help?

I had the same problem. A sort of hack workaround for this is to open up the tri file in notepad, keep the first reference numbers and letters (something like FRTRI003, will be all caps) delete the rest. Re-save as *.tri not *.tri.txt obviously. This gets rid of all morph animations and you will be left with static hair, but it will load without crashing.

I'm still trying to figure out how to use pytff to read/write tri files but am lost as hell! Can anyone help?

Game still crashes even after editing the .tri file. I'm starting to think I might be in over my head making this my second mod attempt.

Im gonna explain the process I used and see if its even possible to go this route. As of now im just trying to port a hair mesh from oblivion to skyrim.

Step 1- import hair with no bones to 3ds max

Step 2- Import skyrim vanilla hair with bones 3ds max

Step 3- use skin wrap modifier to get bones from vanilla file and weight all points as seen in SoMuchMonsters helmet tutorial

Step 4- add BSDismemberSkinInstance and select all as seen in SoMuchMonsters helmet tutorial

Step 5- export with no vertext colors etc as seen in SoMuchMonsters helmet tutorial

Step 6- open both files in NifScope. Set has vertex colors to yes. Copy BSLightingShaderProperty from Vanilla file. Set body part types and save as seen in SoMuchMonsters helmet tutorial

Step 7- edit .tri file

Game crashes when trying to veiw the hair style.

Feel free to call me an idiot if this is the complete wrong way to go about this. Its all part of the learning process. In any case, I no longer think i will be able to self teach this type of mod. Putting a sword in the game was easy but this is apparently a lot more involved. Any guidence would be greatly appreciated

Edited by Gage2878