ℹ️ Download History temporarily unavailable ×

What Makes an RPG?

Abramul

As for Halo being an RPG, that's quite wrong. It's an FPS, just like the reviewers/Microsoft/Bungie says.

Anyway, things I've come to expect from an RPG:

-a large amount of useful dialogue usually conducive to furthering the plot and/or completing quests/missions

-a methodology to enhance your character be it XP grind, items which boost your stats, etc.

-areas designated as danger zones or dungeons

-a great degree of control over your character's actions w/relevant consequences

-a great degree of control over your character's growth

Character creation doesn't matter, it's just a good bonus. Dialogue ranks first on my list because I always expect to spend at least half the game talking (or more accurately, listening) to other characters be they NPCs or other PCs. This is mainly what seperates an RPG from other genres to me.

Funny, I think I remember starting a topic like this with RTS....

Anyhow, I think that the best RPG will be the computer version of D&D. And I'm talking about when they actually have Dungeon Masters. Of course, this will be in an era where the Dungeon Master can create mods so quickly he can generate worlds on the whims of the player. For example, if a player needs to break someone out of jail, the original program may have provided a stealthy manner in which to do so. But perhaps a player comes up with an ingenious plan which involves capturing many wild animals and setting them loose on the guards. The Dungeon Master would need to quickly make a mod which would allow them to do this. Admittedly, this may never happen.

if you mean, give me an hour quick it is already done, game is called never winter nights. Problem is the graphics, and the module maker.

in terms of Hardcore D&D, DM takes say a smoke break, works something out and it is done, that will probably never happen.

The things i look for in an RPG is content, if i have to wear one suit of armor all through the game i wont like it. If i cant go explore on my own and i haveto follow a linear story i wont like it.

Dont get me wrong i love All the classics, FF7-12, dragonquest 1-8, for example. To me those are great games, but to me they dont constitute an RPG. They constitute what a Virtual Novel or Novella ( short one ) to me because i am not actually making my character from scrath.

So with that being said, Obviously you know my favorite RPG of all time is this one. Oblivion. Hands down people can create stuff and add it to the game. Thats also a plus in my book but not a requirment. Graphics dont have to be Super great either.

And the ultimate Pen and PaPer game to me was ADVANCED D&D 2nd edition, none of this Wizards of the coast crap they put you kids through nowadays.

In an RPG i want to fell i am the character, if i want to jump off a cliff and die i can do it in oblivion. With the help of some mods i can do some pretty crazy, erotic, and bloody things.

So with that said my new standerd for a RPG is oblivion.

Actually, I was thinking more the range of 5 minutes. Like I said, this may never happen.

Of course, if the dungeon master was an extremely powerful supercomputer with artificial intelligence and creativity......

Well Consdering the Fact, To do it in five minutes the program would basically have to read your mind to an extent. Then you would have to go through a list of variables to change. because if a program can read your mind, Exactly, I wouldnt even go withing a 100 miles of something like that. To freaky, To freaky........

Archived