Staff Picks - 16 Nov 2016

TheTokenGeek

In response to post #44666725. #44666760, #44666870, #44672885 are all replies on the same post.

ZZZ02 wrote: I knew a skyrim mod would be featured but I really wished that it was one that was NOT on the front page...
Jinxxed0 wrote: yeah. I would have thought it'd be a nice chance for the staff to highlight some unknown mods. Not mods everyone already knows about
ZZZ02 wrote: Yeah like my favorite mod is Staff Casting but it is so hidden no one knows about it. Perfect for use with Ordinator or other mods that include staff perks
Dark0ne wrote:
Every week, we feature a few mods that have caught our staff’s attention, as well as some that were submitted by you, the Nexus Mods community. If there is a mod you’d like to see on this list, send the name of the mod along with a brief (less than 200 words) description of why you like it to [email protected] and we’ll consider posting it up. Thanks, and have fun modding!

Go go go!

Would love to see if you could do this but maybe add a requirement that the mod never entered hot files or something similar. Otherwise, great little article if a bit predictable.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In response to post #44666725. #44666760, #44666870, #44672885, #44673980 are all replies on the same post.

ZZZ02 wrote: I knew a skyrim mod would be featured but I really wished that it was one that was NOT on the front page...
Jinxxed0 wrote: yeah. I would have thought it'd be a nice chance for the staff to highlight some unknown mods. Not mods everyone already knows about
ZZZ02 wrote: Yeah like my favorite mod is Staff Casting but it is so hidden no one knows about it. Perfect for use with Ordinator or other mods that include staff perks
Dark0ne wrote:
Every week, we feature a few mods that have caught our staff’s attention, as well as some that were submitted by you, the Nexus Mods community. If there is a mod you’d like to see on this list, send the name of the mod along with a brief (less than 200 words) description of why you like it to [email protected] and we’ll consider posting it up. Thanks, and have fun modding!

Go go go!
elderlord wrote: Would love to see if you could do this but maybe add a requirement that the mod never entered hot files or something similar. Otherwise, great little article if a bit predictable.

That would be rather unfair, as I am sure some very nice mod's have entered the "hot files" 4 to 5 years ago and new players might not know a thing about them.

I generally consider Live Another Life/Alternate Start an essential mod for Skyrim (and Oblivion), and I love the amount of control it gives me in setting the origin of my character - aside from the same old "caught crossing the border illegally, walked into an ambush etc etc plot point". Like with Oblivion, I find the opening of the game boring and repetitive to play thirty million times so mods like LAL, Skyrim Unbound etc go a long way to freshening things up for me.

But none the less, some interesting picks and I'm looking forward to seeing next weeks selection.

In response to post #44647870. #44652595, #44671205 are all replies on the same post.

Tigon_3rd wrote: I misread the NMM software developer as just a mod dev using NMM in general at first, but anyway.
Isn't it faster to just use the command COC at the main menu instead of "Alternate Start", or is it because you're testing the NMM software and thereby have to have mods loaded?
Arthmoor wrote: It's at least party because coc from the main menu is unreliable since it doesn't process the required initializations the game needs to be in a proper state.

LAL has long been used as a diagnostic tool for a lot of people because it's quick to load, has options in most parts of the game, and allows time for scripts at startup to settle before running off to start playing.
DuskDweller wrote: I used it a lot while testing the installation and performance impact of various virtual install systems, so being sent right into the character creation, where you can test right off the bat different types of mod was a real boon.

Thanks for the great reply. Both of you.

In response to post #44643800. #44645715, #44673625 are all replies on the same post.

Everlive wrote: IMO, Skyrim Unbound is the much better alternate start.
boschpiper wrote: I don't know. I also prefer unbound, because of its greater functionality, but I can see why Alternative start is preferred from a role playing point of view.
Triaxx2 wrote: I prefer the sadly no longer updated Random Alternate Start. Jump in, and then be randomly assigned a starting location. No control, and no vanilla opening. You do get a bit of starter equipment though.

You can roleplay more in Unbound, imo. You just have to be more open and creative.

In response to post #44666725. #44666760, #44666870, #44672885, #44673980, #44674785 are all replies on the same post.

Dark0ne wrote:

Go go go!
elderlord wrote: Would love to see if you could do this but maybe add a requirement that the mod never entered hot files or something similar. Otherwise, great little article if a bit predictable.
Aireal2 wrote: That would be rather unfair, as I am sure some very nice mod's have entered the "hot files" 4 to 5 years ago and new players might not know a thing about them.

Dark0ne is that an Email address I am supposed to send it to? Edited by ZZZ02

In response to post #44643800. #44645715, #44673625, #44695560 are all replies on the same post.

Everlive wrote: IMO, Skyrim Unbound is the much better alternate start.
boschpiper wrote: I don't know. I also prefer unbound, because of its greater functionality, but I can see why Alternative start is preferred from a role playing point of view.
Triaxx2 wrote: I prefer the sadly no longer updated Random Alternate Start. Jump in, and then be randomly assigned a starting location. No control, and no vanilla opening. You do get a bit of starter equipment though.
Everlive wrote: You can roleplay more in Unbound, imo. You just have to be more open and creative.

I agree, i've used both extensively and Skyrim unbound is a clear winner in my opinion.