Want a new video card 100-$150 dollar range

What video card?  

15 members have voted

1. 1. What video card would you recommend?

• GeForce GTX 460
    • GeForce GTX 550 Ti
    • Radeon HD 6850
    • Radeon HD 5770

Computer Spec:

AMD Phenom II X4 955 3.20 Ghz

Ram 8 Gigs DDR 3

Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit

Motherboard: Foxconn A7DA-S 3.0 AM3 AMD 790GX HDMI ATX AMD Motherboard

Video Card: Geforce 9800 GT 550 Mhz, 512 MB GDDR 3

I want a new video card that will play Skyrim in High Definition with HDMI and Directx 11 compatible with 1920x1080 video settings. I am looking to spend about 100 to 150 US Dollars on the card. I am not sure if I want to go with a GeForce GTX 460, GeForce GTX 550 Ti, or a Radeon HD 6850, or HD 5770. I do not know a lot about video cards like today I went to best buy and bought a GT 520 2GB DDR3 but according to websites this is a Terrible video card for Gamers, so I will be returning this tomorrow.

Any help would be appreciated.

HD6850 and GTX460 are by far the most powerful GPU on your list. HD6850 is only a little slower than GTX560 and almost 1/3 faster than GTX550. The other two are just slow.

There can be some debate between 460 and 6850.

HD6850 is faster at stock speeds, and it's newer, with more features. GTX460 can be overclocked to match it. The performance of HD6850 is more consistent, it can handle higher resolutions and very complex scenes better than GTX460 (performance doesn't drop as sharply). If your TV is 3D-compatible, so is HD6850, it supports it via HDMI, can handle it at moderate settings, and runs it at no extra charge (for nVidia it's a $40 charge to enable 3D gaming).

Going for GTX460 could be more timely driver updates by nVidia, while AMD is less consistent with that. On the downside GTX460 consumes more energy (TDP 160W vs. 127W for 6850), and there are fanless HD6850 versions available. There is just one HD6850, but there are officially 5 versions of GTX460, most of which are slower than the standard, and some research is required to be sure which one you get.

So the best choice would be HD6850, but if you find a GTX460 on sale for considerably less money, it's OK too.

If you are not in a hurry, HD7750 should come out Q1 2012, and it will probably cost $149 (since 7850 is $199, and there is 7770 in between). It might or might not be better bang for the buck than 6850, but will definitely consume even less power.

Edited by FMod

Depending on how much vram is in the GTX 460, the Radeon HD 6850 is the faster card. This depends on if the GTX 460 is a 768MB vram or 1GB vram card. A better deal would be a Radeon HD 6870. About $30 more than a 6850 for a 1GB version (2GB verions are about $210) and very fast for its price.

Not major, but you might want to shop around for a GPU that is already slightly overclocked (higher frequency), presuming you aren't going to yourself.

Also, cooling systems differ, some are quieter than others, as a general rule larger heatsink and fan means quieter. Like I said, you can find it outright fanless.

As for 6870 - it's faster than 6850, but not by much, so if cost is an issue, 6850 is OK. As for VRAM, most 6870 are 1GB as well, and you don't need 2GB for a GPU in this performance range anyway.

Skyrim is very CPU-dependent. He probably should crank up the visuals, resolution etc, it won't make much difference, and cut down Actor Fade, which puts the heaviest load on the CPU. The only visual setting that shouldn't be cranked up is Shadows, best set to High rather than Ultra.

The Radeon 6850 was more in the 160-180$ price range last I read...

If you find yourself unable to buy the 6850, go for none of the others you mentioned, a Radeon 6790 beats them to a pulp.

Thank you guys for your feedback is there any major differences between the companies that make them like HIS, MSI, Power Color, VisionTek, Diamond, etc?

I'll give you a heads up on HIS. We bought my grandma a HIS 4350 (I think, can't remember) and the fan on it died in less than a year. I have a HIS 5770 and the fan on it also died within the year. You'll know it too, they start to grind very loudly. So, if you don't want to buy an aftermarket cooler in like 8 months, I'd avoid HIS. Luckily, the fan inside mine is an 80mm. I had to hack out a spare stock CPU cooler fan out of it's casing, rip the old HIS fan off its base (so I had the screws and screw holes for it to fit inside the heatsink), and hot glue the new fan onto the base :P Jury rigging at it's finest ;) New fan is actually better haha, got a 5C drop in temps :)

Edited by Illiad86

I'll give you a heads up on HIS. We bought my grandma a HIS 4350 (I think, can't remember) and the fan on it died in less than a year. I have a HIS 5770 and the fan on it also died within the year. You'll know it too, they start to grind very loudly.

But please, don't extrapolate.

HIS doesn't make fans. It doesn't make video cards, either. They used to do some designs, but no more either.

All you get from HIS is a piece of paper or plastic with their logo on it. The GPU is designed by AMD and made by TSMC or Globalfoundries. The PCB is designed by AMD and made by Unitech, Foxconn, Compeq, Wus, Quanta or whatever OEM is hired to do it. The cooling system is designed by AMD and the fans are made by Ningbo, Yate Loon, Fenshen, Zaward or one of the other makers.

If your GPU break down too soon, it can be bad luck or poor quality power supply. If fans in your PC break down more often than usual, it's probably too dusty. Dust kills fans, PCs suck it in, unless there is a filter, they are liable to die. And you're supposed to vacuum your PC once in 3 months if it has intake filters, or monthly if it doesn't. Can skimp on it a little in winter, as your windows are closed and the fans rotate slower, but in the summer it's a must.