Followers with something to say?

NellSpeed

When I'm running around trying to save the world and/or get rich, I like to have someone to help out-- ideally, someone with a personality (although from what I hear, marrying an NPC sort of extinguishes that?). The best way for games like Skyrim to establish that, is to give NPCs opinions and things to say.

I haven't played with too many followers yet, but it seems like many of them are just sort of there. The big exception so far has been Stenvar, who seems to have something to say about almost everything. He isn't fond of mines and cold weather. He's eager to make money, but is wary of traps and cursed artifacts. Dwemer ruins make him a little paranoid. He'd rather fight bandits than draugr. I'm assuming that most of these are stock lines, attached to the VA's work, but that's fine-- at least he's saying something!

Which other followers are chatty?

(And, yeah, as soon as the CK comes out, I'll be adding all kinds of lines to characters for my own amusement. Even though they'll be unvoiced, it's still better than nothing, IMO.)

ETA: I'm putting this in the spoiler section just in case.

One of the things where Bethesda obviously had great plans and the right ideas, but failed to follow through on them. Maybe because of time constraints and/or financial reasons. The other one is probably marriage.

Right now, followers are flat and quickly become a nuissance. They step into you line of fire, they make your sneaking efforts obsolete, push you over cliffs and eventually they die on you. What's more, there's no backstory to them and next to none options for interactions.

I also tend to send them home, since I don't want to be responsible for their quick demise.

Edited by abaris

push you over cliffs and eventually they die on you.

funny you mentioned that , it actually happened to me while i was standing at the edge of lost valley redout taking SS

d3vo - I was thinking that if I play through as a monk, someone who specializes in ranged tactics would come in handy. How does Aela do with a bow? And, yes-- does she have interesting comments?

abaris - Is it wrong that I find it kind of funny that my followers totally sabotage me at least once every session? But I agree-- greater depth will improve them, and I know I'm not the only one with plans for that.

spets21 - Oh, man. Did you at least get a good death screenshot?

I only tried a few followers, and the most talkative one was Kharjo.

He's the Khajiit caravan guard that is traveling with the Khajiit merchants. He's a bit tricky to find though, since he's traveling mostly.

I found his comments to be quite refreshing, wise and humorous sometimes.

After playing so much of this game, followers are flat out annoying and can be frustrating at times. That's why I just send them home lol. Aela was a good follower/wife since she never dies.

Call me a romantic but I just thought this was sooo sweet. While many others are looking for a way to divorce their spouses after being married less than a week...you marry a woman who cannot die and have decidedly pursued her because of such. That just tickles me pink. Sooo sweet. I'm giving you a kudos just for being so lovable.:kiss:

Lucien Lachance is good with both comments about his past as Speaker (when you knew him in Oblivion) and comments relating to your surroundings, he apparently spent some time in Skyrim when he was a younger Assassin.

Cicero is also good for a laugh if your that type of character and spared him during the DB quest line.

spets21 - Oh, man. Did you at least get a good death screenshot?

oh, i did. :D but i survived the fall *made me giggle* manage to SS while i was falling

lv000 - I just saw him the other night, as a matter of fact! I don't quite remember what road we were on, though. Thanks for the tip!

SaintAnon - Cicero kind of gives me the creeps... but in a fun way, I guess. Sort of. And it's pretty cool that they brought back Lucien. In a dead way. Sort of. :D

spets21 - Why is it that sometimes dying in-game is infuriating, and sometimes it's just hilarious? I die a lot in every game I play, though, so I may just be getting used to it. Also, share that SS? Because death by companion is even more hilarious!