oblivion crashing

gmabutas

guys i have a problem , when i press "return" in the video menu it crashes! can anyone tell me what is the problem?

and is use the .ini tweak..and i think maybe my one mods are the problem? :facepalm:

my specs are...

windows 7 32-bit

2gb ram

intel gma 3150 256mb

intel atom n455 1.66~ 1.7ghz

Edited by gmabutas

Hi friend

as BBen46 says on this problem:

In Win7, when you are the system administrator, unlike WinXP you are not really the program administrator also. Windows UAC will try to block any changes to programs in the folders it protects. Those folders are the 'Program Files' and 'Program Files (x86)' which is the default install location for Oblivion. This means the game, and some things such as Patches and DLCs will work. But others that UAC doesn't recognize as legitimate will be blocked - without bothering to tell you.

The 3 basic solutions are

1. Remember to go into the operating system and manually approve every small change. This is a PITA

2. Disable the UAC for everything - this leaves a gaping hole in the Windows security.

3. My own preferred choice - Uninstall the game and reinstall it outside of the folders that UAC 'protects'. Takes a little time, but you get the ability to install mods and anything else related to the game without the annoying UAC either silently blocking or disabling the security provided by UAC.

I use C:\Games\gamename - where gamename is replaced by the name of each game that you install. Oblivion is installed to C:\Games\Oblivion. Fallout3 to C:\Games\Fallout3 etc. Steam is installed to C:\Games\Steam so that steam games are not affected by UAC. And steam has no problems finding or working with games there.

Here is a link to bben46's complete uninstall/reinstall procedure located in the WIKI section of the Nexus

It allows you to preserve any saves and mods, or remove them completely - your choice.

Have fun :thumbsup:

Harvald