[WIP] Weapon Addition and Replacement Suite (WARS)

antistar

Out of curiosity, do you have any plans of including a right-handed update to the Hunting Rifle, similar to what you did with Nuka World's Handmade Rifle? I know there are already two options available for right-handed Hunting Rifle replacers, but both have their ups and downs and leave me hoping for Hitman's personal spin on it. I know he was working on Hunting Rifle animations months ago, but it never went anywhere, and by now I assume if he was going to do it he'd probably start from scratch (based on his usual MO). Although, you're mentioning anti materiel rifles now, and I always felt like his aforementioned WIP Hunting Rifle animations would fit perfectly for an anti materiel rifle. I found them to be very reminiscent of the vanilla Anti-Materiel Rifle animations in New Vegas.

Edit: regarding automatic weapon sounds, vanilla automatic weapons and most modded automatic weapons use looping sound files based on five fire rates: 420 RPM, 540 RPM, 660 RPM, 780 RPM, and 900 RPM. Creating looping sound files is actually a very easy process with a free program called Wavosaur. I've been thinking about making a quick tutorial just showing the basics of using Wavosaur to make looping sound files - the sounds I've created myself aren't perfect, but they are functional, and could easily be perfected with a little more time and deliberation. I don't know how you would go about making looping files for any of the fire rates not listed, however. You could use a single shot, non-looping sound file, but those sound noticeably worse than looping files and sometimes suffer from stuttering. I know DOOM's Mac-11 has a pretty insane rate of fire, maybe you could ask him how he handled the sounds for it?

I want the Hunting Rifle to be right-handed in WARS, yes.

The planned anti-materiel rifles are the Makeshift Anti-Materiel Rifle (which was made with vanilla animations in mind) and the Barrett M82, which isn't a bolt-action. So no new bolt-action anti-materiel rifle/animations planned right now.

Ah, right; Wavosaur. I've used that before to make looping sound files; most recently for Clockwork. Although it was more that I edited the sound in Audacity and just used Wavosaur to set the in and out points for the loop.

I don't think I'd heard about that stuttering with a single-shot sound used for auto-fire, but maybe it's as simple as that and that's why they used multiple looped auto sounds; performance(?) and sound quality. I'd thought it might be something to do with editing multiple shots together to sound a certain way - and maybe it is that too. Whenever I get time to have a close listen - and a close look at the waveforms in Audacity - it might become more obvious.

Huh. So now I know that the glock in real life has similar recoil pattern to the one animated here. And people say video games are a waste of time.

Actually I'd be interested on a new take of right handed bolt-action anims - the most popular one right now is pretty wonky to be honest and while the other (the bolt sometimes changes) is a lot better in my opinion, the author had to animate it in a way so that the bolt didn't clip into the camera.

Wasn't there an ini setting to configure how close your camera can get to things before they get culled?

I don't know, but that sounds like a useful thing to know about.

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't think I'd heard about that stuttering with a single-shot sound used for auto-fire, but maybe it's as simple as that and that's why they used multiple looped auto sounds; performance(?) and sound quality. I'd thought it might be something to do with editing multiple shots together to sound a certain way - and maybe it is that too. Whenever I get time to have a close listen - and a close look at the waveforms in Audacity - it might become more obvious.

Its because in reality, every shot sounds different because of many factors. If you use the single-fire-shot audie for automatic, every shot sounds the same, and with rapid fire it sounds weird. Thats why they made looped sounds, to simulate different shot-sounds.

(at least, thats what that guy wrote in the other thread)

Sry, I cant find it. It was a thread from someone who was complaining about the lack of quality of most of the weapon-mods, because they dont use looped automatic gunsounds.

I remember, that someone answered, that gunsounds arent free, and not everybody can record them for the mods.

Sry I cant remember the threadtitel, but it could happen, then I write it here. It was a quite interessting thread.

Hi Antistar

I was thinking, to give you ideas, for sniper rifles that you think these?
-M40A1
-CheyTac M-200
-SR 25 This is not exactly a sniper ... but it could be worth
-Barrett M82 is well known all over the world
-Mcmillan tac-50

Again, just throwing in my thoughts.... a semi auto .50 m82 is too powerful to be "balanced" in the game. There would be no reason to use anything else once you had it. The only thing that would be able to survive a few hits (after proper stat modding, forget bethesda's idiotic stats) would be a Sentry Bot, Vertibird, Behemoth and Mirelurk Queen. I think using a bolt action .50 is kinda required for balance, just like the Gauss Rifle needs to charge up before each shot.

Sry, I cant find it. It was a thread from someone who was complaining about the lack of quality of most of the weapon-mods, because they dont use looped automatic gunsounds.

I remember, that someone answered, that gunsounds arent free, and not everybody can record them for the mods.

Sry I cant remember the threadtitel, but it could happen, then I write it here. It was a quite interessting thread.

No problem, and thanks.

Hi Antistar

-M40A1
-CheyTac M-200
-Mcmillan tac-50

I'm short on time more than I am short on ideas - but thanks for the suggestions. ;)

Again, just throwing in my thoughts.... a semi auto .50 m82 is too powerful to be "balanced" in the game. There would be no reason to use anything else once you had it. The only thing that would be able to survive a few hits (after proper stat modding, forget bethesda's idiotic stats) would be a Sentry Bot, Vertibird, Behemoth and Mirelurk Queen. I think using a bolt action .50 is kinda required for balance, just like the Gauss Rifle needs to charge up before each shot.

If nothing else, I think you'd run out of .50 BMG if you used it on everything. But yeah; heavy ammo, heavy gun, and heavy recoil (which doesn't auto-reset in WARS) - sort of like protatato was saying there. It's a bit like the Missile Launcher or Fat Man, for example - pretty powerful, but impractical to use on everything, for various reasons.

I have had the same concerns with the M82 though, so I'll do my best with the balancing.

No problem, and thanks.

Hi Antistar

-M40A1
-CheyTac M-200
-Mcmillan tac-50

I'm short on time more than I am short on ideas - but thanks for the suggestions. :wink:

If nothing else, I think you'd run out of .50 BMG if you used it on everything. But yeah; heavy ammo, heavy gun, and heavy recoil (which doesn't auto-reset in WARS) - sort of like protatato was saying there. It's a bit like the Missile Launcher or Fat Man, for example - pretty powerful, but impractical to use on everything, for various reasons.

I have had the same concerns with the M82 though, so I'll do my best with the balancing.

Anything that needs help let me know, I'm impatient to see your mod in action

Antistar, a question? When you have a free time you could upload a video with a showcase of your M4 and the GlocK? Sorry for being so heavy, it would be nice to see his works

Edited by ZOMKILL