[WIP] Weapon Addition and Replacement Suite (WARS)

antistar

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks. :)

The M79 reload has been nearly finished for a few days now actually - but I've been busy with family visiting and whatnot those last few days, so I haven't had a chance to finish it off. All that's needed now is to animate the camera for the first-person reload, and then do the third-person conversion of the reload. Again I'm probably not going to spend a lot of time on the third-person reload.

Oh, and I need to sort out the sound effects for the reload too.

Well family comes first and foremost right :) , I can see why you wouldn't put much time into doing third person reload animations, like how many people can honestly say they get into firefights in third person? I personally use first person for such things as it's more accurate aiming and precision compared to third person and feels more natural, I wouldn't go as far as to say it's a waste of energy or time, but for a project as big as WARS it might be a little excessive to do third person reloading animations on top of all the other animations you're doing right, besides there's plenty of weapon mods out there that weren't givin accurate third person reloading animations.

On a side note the expansion for T41NT3D's FO3 R91 Assault Rifle came out, it features weapon modifications to turn the R91 assault rifle into a PSG-1 like sniper rifle, even with a receiver conversion to .308 rounds, not exactly accurate to the real life PSG-1 counterpart but pretty damn close, thought I'd let ye know :)

Did you make the skorpion animations from scratch or were they based on millenia's kiparis anims? Everything looks really good btw, looks like 15 years wasn't too bad of a gap.

Also, I used metallicalec's PSG1 originally from FO3 for that mod set. My goal was to keep it being an R91 variant to fit lore and not be a straight PSG1. I'm sure if the HK family of rifles were to be included in WARS eventually they'd be of much higher quality, and actually accurate to the real weapons.

Well family comes first and foremost right :smile: , I can see why you wouldn't put much time into doing third person reload animations, like how many people can honestly say they get into firefights in third person? I personally use first person for such things as it's more accurate aiming and precision compared to third person and feels more natural, I wouldn't go as far as to say it's a waste of energy or time, but for a project as big as WARS it might be a little excessive to do third person reloading animations on top of all the other animations you're doing right, besides there's plenty of weapon mods out there that weren't givin accurate third person reloading animations.

That's been my thinking, yeah. Personally I don't know why anyone would choose to play in third-person in BGS games - especially when using ranged weapons. ;) It is nice to have the weapons looking more or less correct when held by NPCs though, at least.

Did you make the skorpion animations from scratch or were they based on millenia's kiparis anims? Everything looks really good btw, looks like 15 years wasn't too bad of a gap.

Also, I used metallicalec's PSG1 originally from FO3 for that mod set. My goal was to keep it being an R91 variant to fit lore and not be a straight PSG1. I'm sure if the HK family of rifles were to be included in WARS eventually they'd be of much higher quality, and actually accurate to the real weapons.

Thanks - and most of the Skorpion animations were done from scratch. Hitman's Kiparis set was used as the base for the walk/run cycles, grenade/mine throwing and firing animations. Comparing the Kiparis and Skorpion, you can see they're pretty different.

Yep, my hope with the HK rifles/SMGs (when/if I eventually get time to implement them) is that they'd be of similar quality to the other new weapons in WARS, and be as true-to-life as is feasible.

Kuzi127 well in any case you did amazingly with the R91 Expansion mod, I love using those sniper rifle weapon modifications, had been waiting for a PSG-1 or PSG-1 like weapon for awhile, actually including your work too since someone directed me to your pictures of the mesh concept, so thank you for sharing it :)

And very true Antistar I can't count how many times I've seen animations not done for 3rd person at all, then you see said weapon in the hands of an NPC and your just like "something doesn't look quite right"... times ten lol

Hey Antistar, i expect a lot of people have said this but after watching your tommy gun video, i would really love to see it in its own standalone mod, mostly because Iâm getting a bit bored of the normal submachine gun and these is a nice refresher by it self. Also will it be coming to console? Edited by TheGreatBrit

Probably not on either of those, I'm afraid. (Not from me personally, at least.) Please see the FAQ in the second post for more info.

In more general news, the M79 sound effects were a bit more of a pain to sort out than I'd hoped, but they're done now, and I'm in the middle of doing the 3rd-person reload animation. Again, it'll be a relatively quick and dirty conversion of the 1st-person reload, but it's certainly better than leaving it with the double-barrel shotgun 3rd-person reload, which has the character visibly load two shells. Anyway, should be finished pretty soon.