[WIP] Weapon Addition and Replacement Suite (WARS)

antistar

I think the only assets that could be utilized from Modern Firearms into WARS is some of the weapon functions, toggling firing mode, switching between bullets to underbarrel grenade launchers, switching scopes and attaching or detaching suppressors on the fly.

These things will all be handled by AmmoTweaks.

Aside from those things Antistar has pretty much everything else covered, and thanks to the animators that gave Antistar permission to use their assets, and even helped him rework the animations for WARS, well need I really say more.

The majority of the animations in WARS were made specifically for WARS, so I definitely count myself fortunate to have Hitman, Ha_ru and War Daddy's help with those, yeah. :)

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ah well there's the answer to that question :)

And yeah it's always amazing when you get a handful of mod authors coming together and pitching in on a project of grand proportion like this, I'm familiar with Hitmans animations, and I'm definitely familiar with War Daddy's animations (seriously who isn't lol), not sure if I've seen Ha_rus works yet.

If you've used one of the Colt 1911 mods out there,one of them (I think it's Deadpool's) has Ha_rus animations. Pretty slick.

I actually found out I'm using a number of weapon mods that were animated by Ha_ru, the AKM, M16 Pack, Famas, lol more familiar with there work then I knew lol.

Out of curiosity does that Colt 1911 mod you mentioned have hammer animations? If so I wonder if the animations would work with eNse7ens custom 1911s.

Yeah Ha_ru's done a bunch of stuff. Specifically for WARS he did the Barrett M107 anims and third-person anims for a few other weapons.

Small update on WARS; that turret stuff I was talking about is in now. Player-built turrets now require ammo, and there's an activation option to access their inventory and give it to them. Turret control modules are now found on destroyed turrets out in the game world, and are required to build (and repair) turrets.

If you can get your hands on a Mk VII Turret Control Module and enough .308 ammo to run a Mk VII Turret though, damn - those things are monsters.

Oh, also; Laser Turrets switching to half-damage "Recharger" mode when they run out of MFC ammo works fine. I can see those being popular. That said, if you're not actively being attacked all the time, even an unloaded turret is helpful since it should still be boosting the settlement's Defence rating regardless. (Because really, how are those raiders peeking over the hill at your settlement going to know if a turret is currently loaded or not?)

If you can get your hands on a Mk VII Turret Control Module and enough .308 ammo to run a Mk VII Turret though, damn - those things are monsters.

I mean,yeah. It's .308 Winchester,only a hair different from 7.62mm NATO. That stuff can overpenetrate a maple tree's trunk. Provided you're using AP. So,yeah,I can imagine a Mk VII Turret's going to be something like an M60,or somesuch. Did you implement crafting recipes,inventory models,and world models for the TCMs? For crafting,do you need certain perks? Do you need to ferret out blueprints in the wild?

EDIT: Correction. You do not need 7.62mm AP to overpenetrate a maple tree's trunk. Standard ball rounds do that just fine,provided you're within 100 metres. My source; Two soldiers in the Canadian Armed Forces,one retired,one still serving actively.

Edited by Moldy

The turret control modules just use the military-grade circuit board model - it was perfect for them. Currently they can be crafted with Science! 3 for the first two tiers and Science! 4 for the second two tiers. They have some rare component ingredients though; circuitry, gold, silver, fibre optics - that sort of thing.

I'm not sure if I'll leave the modules as craftable, though... I'm wondering if that just results in turret-building simply being pushed back to later levels, in some ways, since it could mean that players wouldn't necessarily need to explore to get the modules. I may add the modules to some vendors in very limited numbers instead. That way would still prevent overwhelming turret spam while also hopefully encouraging exploration. (And also still providing a chance to find turret modules if the player can't find any actual hostile turrets anywhere for whatever reason.)

Speaking of hostile turrets, what I've discovered working on the player-built turrets has me wondering if I might be able to have limited ammo for hostile turrets after all. Hostile robots, too.

For turrets, it'd be like the Workshop variants; they simply stop firing if they run out of ammo. So if you can somehow bait out a particularly troublesome turret until it runs out of ammo, that might be another way of dealing with it. Laser turrets would have the same backup Recharger mode.

(On that, actually; currently I've got the "Recharger mode" turret weapons using the Institute light-blue laser projectile effects so that it's easy to tell when the turret is out of ammo, but that's not really ideal. I'd prefer to have a different colour - orange, probably - but from a poke around the laser beam nif files, I can't work out how to change its colour. Not sure if I'm missing something or if that stuff isn't decoded so that Nifskope can edit it. Does anyone know?)

For robots, I imagine I'd need to edit some of them to have a melee attack - probably using stuff from Automatron. In any case, this is all something I may come back to later; I need to think about it more.