[WIP] Weapon Addition and Replacement Suite (WARS)

antistar

Did you know... that there are a whole bunch of scope overlays in FO4 that Bethsoft didn't use? There's even a PSO-1 style reticle (the "SVD" one) that they for some reason didn't use on the PSO-1 style scopes the Nuka-World Handmade AKM has.

So recently I've been going over the scopes (for vanilla and WARS weapons) and changing what scope overlays they use, where necessary. There should be greater variety and consistency now. On a related note, a lot of vanilla weapons have night-vision scopes that look identical to their standard scopes, so I've been changing them to use the recon scope model for the weapon in question. I've been whipping up new recon scope models for weapons that had NV scopes but no recon scopes; just copy-pasting in Nifskope for those - pretty quick.

In other news, I've done the stats for the Walther PPK (Deliverer), Volkssturmgewehr and Handmade AKM are done now. Working out the realistic weight values for the AKM was a pain; you'd think that if someone had put together a spreadsheet of weights for various AR-15 parts, someone somewhere would have done the same thing for AKs... but unfortunately not. Setting up the dynamic naming for all the variants was a little complicated too.

I've been doing a lot of dynamic naming stuff, actually. Earlier today I did the Laser Gun and Institute Laser Gun. The former is the AER9 of course. I was going to use AEP7 for the pistol variants, but the AEP7 actually looks fairly different, and uses Small Energy Cells rather than Micro Fusion Cells. So all the Laser Guns just use AER9 - but with full names like "AER9 Auto-Laser Rifle Scattergun" or "AER9 Laser Target Pistol".

For the Institute Laser Gun I did use Moldy's suggestion of IEW (Institute Energy Weapon) - thanks for that. I added some suffixes based on the weapon's configuration though; ending up with names like "IEW-ASP7 Auto-Laser Pistol Scattergun" and "IEW-RS9 Laser Sniper Rifle".

Oh - on Moldy's recent suggestions though; unfortunately I don't think I can have lasers being armour-piercing and plasma being a hollow-point equivalent. I had a look at the armour-piercing effect and it seems like it only works for ballistic damage, not energy damage.

What else have I been doing... Ah, I recently went through things like load screen tips and changed them if they were referring to something I'd changed in WARS. I also changed the vanilla Assault Rifle and 10mm Pistol loading screen models to be AR-15 and Glock models instead. I'll add some other load screen models for weapons from WARS when I get a free moment.

Lots of things here and there.

Anyway, as you might expect I'll have less time to work on this over Christmas due to doing things with friends and family, but I'll still try to sneak in some work on it when I can.

Merry Christmas everyone. :)

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nice to see the unused scopes being put to use. There's also a really cool animated one that appears to be for the Institute weapons, although that's purely speculating based on its appearance.

My apologies if you already explained this before. I'm not sure if you already explained this before and if you did, where in this thread it's located in. Do you have plans on how armor will work differently in WARS compared to vanilla Fallout 4? If so, how do you plan on having armor function in WARS?

About the laser weapons; Did you alter (Read: Remove) their recoil profile? Further,did you tighten the spread on the splitters? I could put an IRL dinner plate over the screen,and still see the beams at short range,for the vanilla beam splitters.

Nice to see the unused scopes being put to use. There's also a really cool animated one that appears to be for the Institute weapons, although that's purely speculating based on its appearance.

Yeah, Rangefinder 1 - the dial bits around the edge on the right-hand side rotate back and forth a bit. I just checked it out in-game for the first time and I think I will use it on the standard Institute Laser Gun scopes.

My apologies if you already explained this before. I'm not sure if you already explained this before and if you did, where in this thread it's located in. Do you have plans on how armor will work differently in WARS compared to vanilla Fallout 4? If so, how do you plan on having armor function in WARS?

I'm hoping that I won't need to do anything to clothes and armour in WARS. I do have some plans for it in PEACE though. (WARS' planned sister mod, whenever I actually get time to work on it.) Stuff like removing overtly "magical" effects - as in WARS - as well as changes as part of the encumbrance overhaul plans I have.

About the laser weapons; Did you alter (Read: Remove) their recoil profile? Further,did you tighten the spread on the splitters? I could put an IRL dinner plate over the screen,and still see the beams at short range,for the vanilla beam splitters.

Beyond editing their AimModels (to remove their recoil, yes) I haven't done the stats for the laser weapons yet; only the dynamic naming. I had a quick look over their omods while doing that though, and the Beam Splitter mods set spread to 8 - which is the same as the Combat Shotgun with its shortest barrel, and less than the Double-Barrel Shotgun with sawn-off barrels (12 spread). Maybe the issue is that there are less projectiles than a shotgun, but they're more visible - so that it's easier to miss and easier to see that you're missing? I don't know what it's like to use in practice; like I've said before, I don't really use Energy weapons in Fallout games.

I'll have to do some testing when I get to doing the laser weapon stats - which may be soon since I've been looking at them lately.

PEACE? I believe you mentioned that before but I didn't catch what that exactly is. Looking at the link, it sounds interesting. So WARS overhauls the combat while PEACE overhauls, well, everything else. Knowing how extensive the weapons in WARS is supposed to be, it got me really curious as to how armor would fare against these weapons.

PEACE? I believe you mentioned that before but I didn't catch what that exactly is. Looking at the link, it sounds interesting. So WARS overhauls the combat while PEACE overhauls, well, everything else. Knowing how extensive the weapons in WARS is supposed to be, it got me really curious as to how armor would fare against these weapons.

I'm hoping that I can tweak weapon damage values as needed - so that things aren't too bullet-spongy but also not too brutal - rather than weapon damage and armour values. Oh, there's HP values too. They needed to be rebalanced due to the ridiculously high ranges you could get between HP values for actors of the same "race". Same with weapon damage values - they were kind of all over the place and needed re-balancing - but hopefully I won't need to do armour on top of that.

Hi, Antistar look this HK-416

Thanks, but that's an unreleased WIP from three years ago according to that, and even if it was a completed and available resource, it would still be too similar to the AR-15 to be worth spending time on considering all the other work I have to do. (Porting something takes a lot more work than you might think.)

However; I was contacted recently by someone who had access to Cedaie's incomplete(?) HK416 assets and was interested in making it available via patch for WARS. So there's hope there; if they're still interested in doing that once WARS is out and I've written the tutorial on how to make a weapon support WARS. :)

You mentioned that you might not be able to apply armor-piercing to laser weapons and hollow-point to plasma weapons. If that really does end up being the case yet you still want to try to implement something to make the laser and plasma weapons more interesting to use, maybe you could try instead to have the laser weapons cause fire damage and the plasma weapons cause radiation damage or deal electric damage and/or have a likelihood to stun enemies (like the stun baton) or something. I believe it was the Charles' Overhaul gameplay mod that had something like this with the energy weapons.

I was also previously thinking of suggesting that for the ballistic weapons, depending on the caliber of the rounds used would depend on the level of penetration against armor each ammo type would have while energy and plasma weapons don't have any armor penetration but do have significantly higher damage but I'm not entirely sure about that direction for the weapons. After all, you're already factoring in the damage of each weapon depending on the type of rounds that they fire. I think my suggestion in the previous paragraph would work better.

Edited by TacticalOchoa

Funny you should mention Energy weapons and Fire damage. In the base game, Laser and Plasma Guns have receivers that make the weapon do some Fire damage in addition to its usual Energy damage. The laser weapons also have muzzle omods that reduce recoil (the "Gyro Compensating Lens"). I forgot to say earlier that since I'm removing recoil for laser weapons and changing weapon receivers generally to represent the weapon's condition, I thought I'd move that Fire damage effect from receivers to those (otherwise now useless) Gyro muzzle devices.

The Plasma Gun doesn't have muzzle omods though, so I'm not sure yet what I'll do with the Fire damage effect for it.

Re: differentiating Energy weapon damage from Ballistic weapon damage in terms of behaviour vs. armour, ostensibly the game already has that, since they do different damage types (Ballistic and Energy), and each armour set/piece often has different Ballistic and Energy damage resistance values. (E.g. leather armour being good against Energy but bad against ballistic, and metal armour being the opposite.) Better armour (e.g. Combat Armour) seems to usually have equal DAM/ENG resist values though, so it's a concept that potentially wasn't used as much as it could have been, in the base game. Who knows, maybe that's something I'll tweak in PEACE.