[WIP] Weapon Addition and Replacement Suite (WARS)

antistar

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you're still working through weight values, I currently have access to (very similar variations of) an AKM, MP5, FAL, 1911, .30-06 bolt action, .44/.357 revolvers, 12 gauge double barrel, various Glocks, and a MAC-10, if you still need/want any of them. I may have a Mini14 as well but I'm not sure. I know many of those are in the unconfirmed list but I thought I'd still mention them.

Damn, that's quite the arsenal - and that's a very kind offer, thank you! I do still have a lot of weapons to work out the weights for, and even in the case of the weapons I've already done, I'm very likely to have got many of the values... not quite right. There's only so much I can do via scouring the Internet for some forum post where someone has mentioned exactly how much their AKM butt-stock or whatever weighs.

What I really need help with is the weight of individual parts of these weapons; wikipedia articles usually have the total weight. So if you don't mind taking these guns apart and weighing the pieces, that would be fantastic. Don't feel obliged or anything though.

In some of my previous notes on this that I've posted I was really specific on various small pieces of the weapons. I don't really need that; I don't need to know the weight of the bolt, or the gas tube, or whatever else - it's just that my sources had things itemised like that so I copied them down to add them up. I just need the total weight of the parts that make up each weapon mod "slot". Everything that's swapped when you change from one weapon mod to another (which the game helpfully highlights when using the workbench). I'm sure you know this already if you've played FO4, but generally that would be:

- Barrel

- Grip/Stock

- Magazine (empty)

- Muzzle Device

- Receiver (Plus everything in and on it.)

- Sights (Plus mounts, if relevant. Itemised weights would probably be helpful here actually.)

Being as specific as possible about what the various pieces are would help me out, too. E.g. a barrel of x inches long for y calibre. Treat me like an idiot and assume I don't know that the weapon you're talking about is only ever available with a barrel of x length or whatever.

Vanilla weapons and confirmed new weapons are higher priorities, yeah, but I'll take whatever I can get. ;) Thanks again.

I'm at home for winter break and my dad is one of the best gunsmiths for a few hundred miles; needless to say he's acquired a fair amount of stuff over the years.

The slot idea would help me out a lot, I should have thought about that when I gave you the mossberg weights. I guess I figured you were using a lot of different custom slots in addition to vanilla.

Some of the guns (e.g. the AK) are pretty tough to fully disassemble but it shouldn't be too much of a problem. Since many of them only have one barrel length, you could probably divide the weight by the length and use that as a multiplier to get weights for different lengths.

I was thinking of making an excel file for this since it would be a lot of info; should I do that and send it to you somehow?

Oh, one more question: how are you treating the pistol grips and handguards of assault rifles?

From your AR15 pictures, it looks like you can change the handguard and stock, but not the pistol grip. I'm assuming these have their own slots, and I'll just treat the grip as belonging to the receiver for everything.

For the AK for example, should I report the handguard as part of the barrel weight (since that's how it works in vanilla) or is it separate?

Antistar, when do you think you will release the BETA from your mod? count on me to test it :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Thanks - and the closed beta would be when the mod is content-complete (for an initial release at least), so I don't know yet exactly when that would be for the same reasons that I don't yet know when the release itself will be.

I'm at home for winter break and my dad is one of the best gunsmiths for a few hundred miles; needless to say he's acquired a fair amount of stuff over the years.

The slot idea would help me out a lot, I should have thought about that when I gave you the mossberg weights. I guess I figured you were using a lot of different custom slots in addition to vanilla.

Some of the guns (e.g. the AK) are pretty tough to fully disassemble but it shouldn't be too much of a problem. Since many of them only have one barrel length, you could probably divide the weight by the length and use that as a multiplier to get weights for different lengths.

I was thinking of making an excel file for this since it would be a lot of info; should I do that and send it to you somehow?

I do have some new mod slots, to be fair - but not really stuff like individual internal components. There are some special cases (like the "Gamma Infuser" mod for the Volkssturmgewehr that makes it into a "Radium Rifle" again, or the shell holder and heat shield respectively on the Mossberg 590), but the main new weapon mod "slots" in WARS are:

- Calibre conversion (pending)

- Underbarrel attachments (usually bayonets, laser sights, tac-lights - though sometimes these have their own dedicated slots, depending on the weapon)

- Trigger group (semi, auto, select-fire)

Actually knowing the weight of a weapon's trigger group might be useful - if it's one that can have semi vs auto/select-fire trigger groups, of course. Or it might not - so far I've just been assuming that the weight difference when swapping one for another would be negligible (because you can't outright remove one and have nothing there) so I've left them all with a weight of zero... but I could be wrong there obviously.

Getting the weight of one barrel and then multiplying to get the rough weight of other barrel lengths is exactly what I've had to do for a few weapons already. ;) There's been a lot of that sort of thing in general in working out the weights I need - sawn-off stocks for example.

A spreadsheet sounds great. My e-mail address is in the readme/description for all my mods if you want to just attach it to an e-mail, or you could put it up on Google Drive or whatever other file storage/transfer place and post/PM the link. Whatever you prefer.

Oh, one more question: how are you treating the pistol grips and handguards of assault rifles?

From your AR15 pictures, it looks like you can change the handguard and stock, but not the pistol grip. I'm assuming these have their own slots, and I'll just treat the grip as belonging to the receiver for everything.

For the AK for example, should I report the handguard as part of the barrel weight (since that's how it works in vanilla) or is it separate?

Yeah, the pistol grip on the AR-15 is lumped in with the receiver. That's not the case with the Handmade AKM though; there the pistol grip is indeed on the "grip" slot and so lumped in with the butt-stock. There you can have a pistol grip with no stock however, so the required weights end up being itemised anyway.

Hand-guards are lumped in with the barrel, as in vanilla. I toyed with the idea of separating them out (along with things like the M203 launcher), but that quickly becomes a technical nightmare and not really practical.

Thanks again for doing this; it sounds like a lot of work and I really appreciate it.

Happy to help; gives me a chance to fondle all of them again lol. It looks like that FAL model has separate grips too, so I'll just separate them and you can add them where appropriate. Pretty sure I have enough info to finish everything now so I should have it done inside a week after I dig some things out of storage.