[WIP] Weapon Addition and Replacement Suite (WARS)

antistar

Using subsonic "shells" (actually just changing the current through the coils in the gun) runs counter to the purpose of a gauss rifle/coilgun; to have a small projectile going extremely fast. While the gun itself would be very quiet, the bullet still makes shockwaves (sonic booms) since it is definitely supersonic, if not hypersonic (railguns generally have higher velocities, but a coilgun is still much faster than a normal firearm). If you watch war movies (or have ever been shot at), the cracks you hear from bullets going past are from said shockwaves. A suppressor applied to a gauss rifle might contain the shockwaves, reducing the apparent sound of the bullet to the shooter. Doing this is basically useless though as the bullet is only inside the suppressor for a few milliseconds, if that.

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Further,the 2mm EC projectiles are functionally tracers; Ever notice that incandescent blue trail they leave? That's a PLASMA WAKE. They fly so fast through the air,they hyper-energize the air they rip though. Not fly through,rip through. The act of using a Gauss Gun (I refuse to call it a rifle; Look up rifling if you wanna know why) is an inherently violent one,compared to using a machine gun. That projectile has enough energy inside of it to rival most conventional explosives. In the vanilla game,quite true to real science,those tiny rounds explode on impact,thanks to how much kinetic energy they contain. Seriously,turn off AI,and test a shot against a tight group. Those shots have a damage radius. And this is actual,legitimate science. The round doesn't survive impact; Overpenetration is impossible. Hell,penetration,period,is impossible. The rounds simply impact with enough force to go off like an 84mm APDS round from a Carl G,striking whoever or whatever you just pointed that thing at like the fist from a furious god. Which makes the round not only shatter on impact,but explosively release its stored kinetic energy.

This is,I remind you,the real-world science of this fictional assault.

Picture a Super Mutant Behemoth swinging a mace with a two millimetre diameter head at your chest,with everything it's got. That's a tiny fraction of the energy involved.

That tiny little ball is flying at the very least Mach 5. The plasma wake and kinetic explosion argue even faster. A suppressor will never be able to hide the fact that you're shooting at someone downrange. All you can hope to do is silence the firing mechanism itself,and a suppressor can't do that to an open-air,non-explosive firing mechanism without moving parts. Like the one used by the Gauss Gun. Further,firing the Gauss Gun at a subsonic muzzle velocity would simply mean you just turned the single most powerful gun in the setting into a high-tech BB gun. It'd never be able to efficiently kill at such low velocities,because the tiny-ass round wouldn't have the needed mass and shape to get the energy it needs to penetrate and kill. It'd sting,and make for an excellent,if over-engineered,crowd suppression weapon,however.

For a magnetic weapon with small projectiles,speed is everything. Speed kills. Without speed,it's less than useless. Velocitas Eradico.

In essence,Firehawksh,with what we're presented with in the game,an impossible-to-silence gun is the only option for the Gauss,without taking a titanic leap from the realism that Antistar wants for WARS & PEACE. And it'd probably be the God Gun,in terms of pure,raw damage per shot.

Now,please tell me,Antistar,that you're divorcing the magazine upgrades from the damage upgrades. Because,in the vanilla game,better damage meant bigger magazine,for the Gauss Gun.

Is the mod released yet

it's been over a year

It is not. This is because what Antistar is doing is quite ambitious,and time-consuming,as he's doing mesh and texture work... With Hitman doing animations. Any ONE of those would inflate development time.

Yes, and there's also the general combat/weapon behaviour overhaul, which is what I'm working on now. It all takes a lot of work.

Thanks for the Missile Launcher name suggestions everyone; I like the "Variable Missile Launch System" (VMLS) one. I'll see about coming up with some suffixes; maybe something like VMLS-1M, VMLS-3M and VMLS-4M for the different magazine sizes. Something for the Targeting Computer too, I guess. Incidentally, I've separated that out to its own slot, so you can have both a scope and a Targeting Computer at the same time now. I haven't tried it in-game yet (busy few days), but I'm assuming it will work alright.

Anyway, what's your planned name for the Gatling Laser, or are you cutting it?

I went with AEG10 Gatling Laser, based on the AEP/AER naming convention since its design incorporates parts that are very similar to AER9 Laser Rifle parts.

In essence,Firehawksh,with what we're presented with in the game,an impossible-to-silence gun is the only option for the Gauss,without taking a titanic leap from the realism that Antistar wants for WARS & PEACE. And it'd probably be the God Gun,in terms of pure,raw damage per shot.

Now,please tell me,Antistar,that you're divorcing the magazine upgrades from the damage upgrades. Because,in the vanilla game,better damage meant bigger magazine,for the Gauss Gun.

Well it's realism as a starting point at least. I think I've mentioned this before in the thread, and I definitely have something in the draft readme's FAQ. I may as well paste it here:

Q) Hey, did you know that [x part of WARS] isn't perfectly realistic and true to life?
A) I most likely do know, yes. A lot of research went into WARS. Realism is a reference point - a starting point - for the design of WARS, but there are all sorts of reasons why it might not always be the ending point. Sometimes it may not be possible or practical within the limits of the game's systems, sometimes it may take a prohibitively huge amount of work to achieve, and sometimes it may simply not be any fun (in my opinion).

So, you know... I reserve the right to bend the rules in order to make things fun. :wink:

Right now I am leaning towards the Gauss Rifle (and I know it's as much a "rifle" as the Laser Rifle is - that is to say, not technically) ranging from Very Loud to Silent based on the condition of the "receiver" (or "capacitors" in this case), with the projectile being supersonic and Very Loud. I don't know that that's perfectly accurate and realistic, but it at least references the different nature of gauss weapons with a slightly different dynamic to its weapon mods.

And yeah, since the Gauss Rifle's actual physical magazine is always the same size, the weapon always has the same capacity in WARS.

Edited by antistar

Thanks for the Missile Launcher name suggestions everyone; I like the "Variable Missile Launch System" (VMLS) one. I'll see about coming up with some suffixes; maybe something like VMLS-1M, VMLS-3M and VMLS-4M for the different magazine sizes. Something for the Targeting Computer too, I guess. Incidentally, I've separated that out to its own slot, so you can have both a scope and a Targeting Computer at the same time now. I haven't tried it in-game yet (busy few days), but I'm assuming it will work alright.

If you want to go with that name I'm just gonna leave the thought of perhaps dropping the "missile" in "variable missile launch system" since the 1M, 2M, 3M, and 4M have the what is being launched, that way it cuts down on redundant uses of the word missile, that would make it just "variable launch system - 1 Missile", etc... Also, for the targeting computer version you could add a /T for targeting to the acronym so it could read VLS/T or VMLS/T. Maybe I'm just too into the way Star Wars uses acronyms, anyways, just a thought for you to, maybe, chew on. Loving the progress by the way, getting really excited to see how everything turns out!

Thanks. :)

The 1M, 3M and 4M were in reference to the magazine size rather than being another M for Missile - but both could work, of course. At the moment I've got it set up so that a Missile Launcher with a quad barrel and a targeting computer will be given the name "VMLS-4MTC Missile Launcher". Just kind of sticking extra letters on the end there like it's an AKM. ;)