[WIP] Weapon Addition and Replacement Suite (WARS)

antistar

See now I would reluctantly consider doing this for the Thompson submachine gun myself, I say reluctantly because I feel as if there's no point in doing it when it's going to be in the initial release of W.A.R.S anyway, I'd maybe do it as a taster to W.A.R.S, with Antistars express permission, but this wouldn't really be a true teaser without the other functions in W.A.R.S that Antistar is also implementing, aswell as how it works along with ammo tweaks.

As for the console, you'll likely never see a console release of W.A.R.S, it's simply too big for the console versions to be able to handle properly, you'd likely see bad framerates and crashes n freezes, too taxing on memory.

Antistar awesome, can't wait to see it :)

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here are the M79 animations:

- M79 Grenade Launcher animations

And an image for good measure:

- M79 Grenade Launcher 05

They may not be perfect, but I'm still pretty happy with how the animations turned out. The reload in particular was a lot of work. They always are, of course, but... you can probably see what I mean with this one.

As for the console, you'll likely never see a console release of W.A.R.S, it's simply too big for the console versions to be able to handle properly, you'd likely see bad framerates and crashes n freezes, too taxing on memory.

I don't have an XB1 so I don't really know what it can and can't handle in terms of things that will impact performance in FO4, but even before that, XB1 users are (as I understand it) saddled with a ludicrously small 2GB limit on installed mods. WARS is already around 700MB compressed. And even before that, WARS is set to require AmmoTweaks, which requires F4SE, which is not available on XB1.

Sorry XB1 users.

Sooo are we ever gunna see this mod on the Nexus? like BEFORE 2020? atleast release 1 or 2 of the completed weapons.

Of course. (The WARS getting released thing - not the releasing weapons piecemeal thing. Please see the second post for more info on that.) There are things influencing the development time that are beyond my control, though.

Just to reiterate something I've said a few times before: I haven't played FO4 since my first time through at the game's release, because I want WARS (and PEACE) in place first. I'm dying to play it again. No-one wants WARS to come out as much as I do - and nothing's gonna stop me 'til I'm done.

I have a feeling that I've already asked this before but I've long since forgotten...

Couldn't find it in the OP in regards to this aspect of weapon mods - will there be unique and common ones? E.g. most, if not all guns, accepting common mods like optics and muzzle attachments. Not sure how this would be approached - PUBG style and by weapon class (flash hider for AR, compensator for SMG etc.) or organised by caliber (5.56mm suppressor, .45 ACP compensator)? The former would simplify things in that for example the 45 auto SMG could take a compensator, while also allowing the 10mm SMG to take one, although the latter is somewhat more realistic, but then you'd have to create attachments for every ammo type out there. A third option would be to just have guns use their own muzzle attachments so that a 10mm SMG flash hider would be incompatible with anything but other 10mm SMGs, this would also allow for unique situations like the tommygun having its own compensator labelled as a Cutts compensator, but then this has the issue having to create an individual item mod for every single gun that is planned to have an attachment.

And with unique mods, I mean that will weapons have their own mods unique to a particular weapon like in NV? E.g. tri-beam laser rifle heavy duty capacitors, grenade MG high speed kits, plasma rifle magnetic accelerators etc. Because the way Fallout 4 did mods was a bit silly, it felt like the meta was just to pick the receiver on the bottom of the list since that was the best. In NV it was pretty cool getting all the mods for all the guns.

Edited by Bottletopman

I did want to have certain weapon mods be usable across different weapons (e.g. anything that attaches to a picatinny rail), but unfortunately there are technical obstacles that mean I can't. I talked about it here a while back.

There are some more unique weapon mods in there, I guess - but it hasn't really been something I've been aiming for specifically. E.g. there's the "Gamma Infuser" mods for the Volkssturmgewehr that turn it (back) into a Radium Rifle, the flared magwell on the Glock, and the heat-shield on the Mossberg 590.

There's another weapon of W.A.R.S I can't wait to try out, nicely done with the M79 grenade launcher Antistar, especially with the 3rd person reloading animations, even though you said it was gonna be a dirty job it definitely looks good all things considered, out done yourself again :), wow thats got quite the range on it too.

I was discussing this mod with my old man,who plays Fallout 4. He's a retired soldier,and when he saw that the M79,the M203,and China Lake were all in the game,he asked, "Why?" As far as he's concerned,the M203 obviates the need for a dedicated grenade launcher,since it allows you to deploy a 40mm grenade without needing to carry an entirely new weapon.

I should point out,he's an ex-infantryman,sniper,and helicopter tech,from the Canadian Armed Forces. I can guarantee you his soldiering career colours his opinions.

While,from a realistic standpoint,I see exactly where he's coming from,as the adoption of the M203 is actually what killed the China Lake,but from a gameplay standpoint,I see why you included them; So a player who wishes to use explosives as their primary weapon will have a weapon available to them; By cutting out the M79 and China Lake,an explosives character will either have to drag around a Fat Man or Missile Launcher,or grumble and gripe about having to drag around an AR-15 just so they can launch grenades.

That about the size of it?

Moldy, maybe try explaining it to your father like this, he seems to be thinking things as a former trooper in the Canadian Armed Forces but there are no armed forces in the fallout universe, at least not as they were before the bombs dropped, it's a post nuclear apocalyptic wasteland where you never know what you're gonna come across, where all your equipment is essentially what you scavenge from the wastes, maybe you come across an M79 before you do an AR15 rifle, maybe you come across an AR15 but it's not outfitted with an M203, point is your not exactly going to be picky about what you find in the wastes, not until you find something better anyway, this not only provides a variety of choice in what you use, but a variety of randomness in what you might find in the wastelands, those old weapons would still be in circulation in some form or another, and the wastes have been scavenged so many times for the past 200 years that everything is scattered, no more standard issue gear, just your wit and resourcefulness to survive.

There's another weapon of W.A.R.S I can't wait to try out, nicely done with the M79 grenade launcher Antistar, especially with the 3rd person reloading animations, even though you said it was gonna be a dirty job it definitely looks good all things considered, out done yourself again :smile:, wow thats got quite the range on it too.

Thanks. :)

Admittedly if the 3rd-person reload was going to be a super quick-and-dirty conversion of the 1st-person reload, only the arms would move; the head and torso would stay dead-still. So I did put a bit more work into it than that; it was just quick and unrefined.

Yeah the M79 can launch those grenades pretty far... though as you can in the video you have to be aiming up at the clouds to do it, since the game doesn't support the use of adjustable sights. Just to note; I'm still using Loads of Ammo at the moment when testing. The ballistics of the 40mm grenades in AmmoTweaks may be different.

I was discussing this mod with my old man,who plays Fallout 4. He's a retired soldier,and when he saw that the M79,the M203,and China Lake were all in the game,he asked, "Why?" As far as he's concerned,the M203 obviates the need for a dedicated grenade launcher,since it allows you to deploy a 40mm grenade without needing to carry an entirely new weapon.

I should point out,he's an ex-infantryman,sniper,and helicopter tech,from the Canadian Armed Forces. I can guarantee you his soldiering career colours his opinions.

While,from a realistic standpoint,I see exactly where he's coming from,as the adoption of the M203 is actually what killed the China Lake,but from a gameplay standpoint,I see why you included them; So a player who wishes to use explosives as their primary weapon will have a weapon available to them; By cutting out the M79 and China Lake,an explosives character will either have to drag around a Fat Man or Missile Launcher,or grumble and gripe about having to drag around an AR-15 just so they can launch grenades.

That about the size of it?

It's kind of like Shana said there; I was thinking more about progression (since this is an RPG) and how those different grenade launchers may be useful in different situations - not so much about different character "builds".

The M79 is probably the first you'll encounter, followed by the China Lake and then the M203 - because like your dad said, you're much less likely to need a separate grenade launcher if you can attach an M203 to your AR-15. If you don't (yet?) have access to an AR-15 or M203, however...

Having said that, when I was researching the M79 (specifically how to approach the cut-down versions, I think it was), I did come across a couple of mentions of special operations people preferring to use a cut-down M79, rather than an M203 or other under-barrel grenade launcher. That's basically why I added the reflex sight option to the M79; to enable the "Pirate Gun" configuration mentioned there.

I think the same may be true when using WARS; carrying a cut-down M79 as a secondary might come in pretty handy, especially if you're not using an AR-15 as a primary weapon. (Or an SA80 - I am still hoping to get its L123A2 launcher implemented.)

It's a little harder to make a case for the China Lake remaining useful... though it's only two pounds heavier than the (not cut-down) M79, so if you want some heavier fire-power, it should be helpful there.

It's a little harder to make a case for the China Lake remaining useful... though it's only two pounds heavier than the (not cut-down) M79, so if you want some heavier fire-power, it should be helpful there.

Real life has squad tactics and doesn't have deathclaws.

In a world like fallout you never know when you alone need to get a lot of grenades down range in quick succession ;)

P.S. is it possible to get something like the holographic throwing arc effect on a primary weapon?