[WIP] Weapon Addition and Replacement Suite (WARS)

antistar

I've been following WARS for a while now but wanted to post a comment as I've been using a stripped down version of Modern Firearms in my games.

The current version is pretty expansive but has a few features that I absolutely love and a few that I loathe. On the plus side: their weapons that IRL have a selective fire function actually allow you to switch between single shot and rapid fire, the cross platform attachments, the abilty to remove and replace a suppressor on the fly, and the ability to swap between a red dot sight and a magnifier.

On the down side, in my opinion: the total replacement of weapons. It goes beyond swapping their weapons for the assault rifle and combat rifle and encompasses every ballistic weapon in the game. I shouldn't be exiting the vault and nearly dying to the first raider I run into. The next problem is that modifications for all of their weapons require level 2, or 3 I honestly can't remember right now, of Gun nut. Not a huge problem with console commands but still a pain when you find an AR but can't swap from a 8x scope to a red dot.

All of the above being said, I'm really looking forward to the final release of WARS.

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I see, I thought I'd ask just because I've used modern firearms before, like I said albeit without proper animations, I didn't like what was done with the leveled lists though, I mean how does a band of chemed up raider manage to get their hands on pristine personalized professional firearms, didn't feel very immersive to me.

Very true with making sure everyones been properly accredited, I mean without their works WARS may not have been possible right (at least not for a long while), but your one of the ones who takes all these different resources, tweaks them a bit to suit your overhauls and puts them all together, like what you did with Weapon Mods Expanded, loved that AA12 btw :).

And there's another WARS weapon I'm looking forward to, when I saw the classic perforated heat shield A2 Barrel with the M203 and the fixed A2 stock I almost lost my mind, even better watching the video, which made me guess it had been finished.

Have you heard anything about the progress of the Ammo Tweaks update or is that up in air for the time being? Oh and if you'd like I'd take part in the beta testing, seems like I test out mods more often than I actually play the game lol.

I've been following WARS for a while now but wanted to post a comment as I've been using a stripped down version of Modern Firearms in my games.

The current version is pretty expansive but has a few features that I absolutely love and a few that I loathe. On the plus side: their weapons that IRL have a selective fire function actually allow you to switch between single shot and rapid fire, the cross platform attachments, the abilty to remove and replace a suppressor on the fly, and the ability to swap between a red dot sight and a magnifier.

On the down side, in my opinion: the total replacement of weapons. It goes beyond swapping their weapons for the assault rifle and combat rifle and encompasses every ballistic weapon in the game. I shouldn't be exiting the vault and nearly dying to the first raider I run into. The next problem is that modifications for all of their weapons require level 2, or 3 I honestly can't remember right now, of Gun nut. Not a huge problem with console commands but still a pain when you find an AR but can't swap from a 8x scope to a red dot.

All of the above being said, I'm really looking forward to the final release of WARS.

WARS has select-fire features too; currently via Loads of Ammo for testing, but the plan is to use AmmoTweaks for that of course. As I understand it, AmmoTweaks has muzzle device cycling/switching too. I don't have one of those combo reflex/magnifier setups on anything, but I do have a slightly customised version of TAS incorporated into WARS that lets you swap a number of different weapon mods in and out of a weapon. In WARS it's called a Weapon Modification Kit because how could I resist? ;)

I'd be interested to hear more about these cross platform attachments. Just recently I linked to an earlier post I made about the technical obstacles to doing that. That was especially re: different sight mods - the kind of weapon mods I'd most like to have usable across multiple weapons, unfortunately. Certain other omod types potentially aren't quite as prohibitively difficult to do that with... though still a pain.

I overhauled the weapons that NPCs spawn with. There's still a progression there as you level up, but there's now also more differentiation across different factions.

I changed perk level requirements slightly across a lot of weapon mod crafting recipes, but not with the aim of making them require higher levels generally.

I see, I thought I'd ask just because I've used modern firearms before, like I said albeit without proper animations, I didn't like what was done with the leveled lists though, I mean how does a band of chemed up raider manage to get their hands on pristine personalized professional firearms, didn't feel very immersive to me.

Very true with making sure everyones been properly accredited, I mean without their works WARS may not have been possible right (at least not for a long while), but your one of the ones who takes all these different resources, tweaks them a bit to suit your overhauls and puts them all together, like what you did with Weapon Mods Expanded, loved that AA12 btw :smile:.

And there's another WARS weapon I'm looking forward to, when I saw the classic perforated heat shield A2 Barrel with the M203 and the fixed A2 stock I almost lost my mind, even better watching the video, which made me guess it had been finished.

Have you heard anything about the progress of the Ammo Tweaks update or is that up in air for the time being? Oh and if you'd like I'd take part in the beta testing, seems like I test out mods more often than I actually play the game lol.

I talk to isathar now and then; the update sounds like it's coming along. It's not really my place to give out a lot of info on it, though.

I will definitely appreciate the help when it comes time for the beta; thanks. :)

I'm going to start noting down when someone expresses an interest in helping with the beta, actually. I probably should have done that earlier. Like I've said before though, I'll put the call out in the thread when the time comes.

But if anyone wants to remind me at any point that they'd like to help, go for it and I'll stick your username in my list. There's no obligation there if you end up not having time, but it would mean that I can prod you if you don't happen to be looking at the thread at the right time.

I also submit for beta testing. I may have misspoke slightly when I said cross-platform attachments. They've incorporated the same attachments across a few different weapons all called the same thing. I think I'll boot it up tomorrow and experiment a bit to see if they were able to actually incorporate it across weapon types, ie AR foregrip on an AK.

Oh well at least you have contact with Isathar, if I remember correctly he closed the comments section of his Ammo Tweaks mod because of all the whiny ass badgers demanding information on the update.

No worries like I said, I tend to test out mods more than I actually play the game, besides I enjoy helping out the authors test out their mods.

Lol I don't think that's something to worry about anyway, you've already had your hands full making WARS to begin with, along with the unfortunate delays, noting down something can be easily overlooked in this case.

When you're ready to start beta testing I'll likely know, I've been watching this thread like a hawk ever since I saw that Thompson lol :).

Thanks everyone. :smile:

I also submit for beta testing. I may have misspoke slightly when I said cross-platform attachments. They've incorporated the same attachments across a few different weapons all called the same thing. I think I'll boot it up tomorrow and experiment a bit to see if they were able to actually incorporate it across weapon types, ie AR foregrip on an AK.

The main thing I'm wondering about is weapon mods that can be detached from one weapon and then attached to another, different type of weapon. I.e. the same loose mod (and omod) used by more than one weapon.

Actually... I don't know if Modern Firearms does this, but it occurs to me that if different omods across different weapons that are ostensibly for the same thing (e.g. a Railway Reflex Sight) all used the same misc item as their sole crafting component, that could get around the problem of not being able to use the same loose mod across different omods.

The big problem with that is that then you're not crafting those omods from the usual scrap components (steel, aluminium, etc); you'd have to obtain a "pre-made" Railway Sight or what-have-you some other way beforehand. Not something I'm keen on, but worth keeping in mind, I guess.

Hmm. Given what everyone has said above, it made me think about how cross-weapon attachments could work.

Would it be possible to craft the misc item of a sight/grip/other generic attachment at the chem station (because why not, everyone else uses it as their defualt place to stick new crafting stuff) using the normal scrap components, and then have the recipe at the weapon workbench use the misc item as mentioned? Personally I don't think adding in another workbench type to the weapon crafting loop is a good idea, but it seems like the only easy way to it at this point.

(Edit)

Now that I think more about it, maybe theres a way to do it with just the weapons bench. This is just me brainstorming with my limited scripting/workbench mechanics knowledge though.

First you'd have to differentiate between modifications (something you would change on the base weapon, e.g. receiver or barrel mods) and attachments (e.g. sights, grips, lasers, anything that attaches via rails). On activation of the weapons bench, a menu would come up where you choose between modding weapons and crafting attachments. The weapon modding part would just be the normal weapons bench, but the attachment crafting would bring up a separate menu (more akin to the chem station) where you craft misc items that go into your inventory. Here you could craft all the attachments' misc items with scrap, back out, and then go into the normal modding bench to apply them. It may involve making a custom workbench with no model/animation, but still forcing the game to use the weapon bench model/anim somehow.

Edited by kuzi127

Thanks everyone. :smile:

The main thing I'm wondering about is weapon mods that can be detached from one weapon and then attached to another, different type of weapon. I.e. the same loose mod (and omod) used by more than one weapon.

Actually... I don't know if Modern Firearms does this, but it occurs to me that if different omods across different weapons that are ostensibly for the same thing (e.g. a Railway Reflex Sight) all used the same misc item as their sole crafting component, that could get around the problem of not being able to use the same loose mod across different omods.

The big problem with that is that then you're not crafting those omods from the usual scrap components (steel, aluminium, etc); you'd have to obtain a "pre-made" Railway Sight or what-have-you some other way beforehand. Not something I'm keen on, but worth keeping in mind, I guess.

So MF has separate crafting components that they've implemented to craft some of the attachments. What comes to mind is some lens glass and buffer springs. I know there's a bunch more but I can't think of them at the moment.

The implementation of the components is where I think their system excels. You can buy components from a custom vending machine or scrap another weapon which doesn't quite return the same number of materials that were put into the crafting. For the vending machine, since the components are Pre-War, it requires Pre-War Money.

In the end, I'll have a definitive answer this weekend on how they implemented the components across different platforms and get back to you either in this thread or via PM if you prefer.