[WIP] Weapon Addition and Replacement Suite (WARS)

antistar

Hi again antistar, I have some more questions about the mod:

1. When setting the weapon's weights (more specifically their magazines), did you do it counting the magazine as full or empty?

I do some stat (mostly weight) tweaking myself on the weapon mods that I have installed, so it would be nice to know so I could be able to follow the same guideline.

2. Will there be unique models for the mod-added ammo? As in the 9mm Para or .32 ACP (for example) not using the cartridge and or ammo box model of the vanilla .38 round?

3. Will there be any statistical benefit to using the short barrels besides slightly lower weight? I did read that the longer barrels no longer have any hip-fire penalty,

while I generally see that penalty as a representation of the fact that a longer barrel is more difficult to swing around in tight spaces (where one would think most hip-firing would happen).

4. What will the different ammo types (armour-piercing etc.) be exactly? Will there be explosive or hollow-point 5.56 ammo for example or buck-shot 40mm grenades.

5. I think I already know know the answer to this one (which would be no), but I might as well ask: Will there be any visual/model change when rechambering a gun to a different cartridge?

For example will the glock look any different after rechambering to 9mm or .45 (the glock is the only gun in this mod that I remember you said would be able to be rechambered, that might be my bad memory).

And sorry if this came out sounding demanding or hostile, I don't intend it to.

No it's fine; that's not demanding.

1) I used empty magazine weights (assuming the information I could get on whatever magazine was reliable), since the weight of ammo is accounted for by the ammo itself - assuming you're in Survival Mode. (And WARS is designed for Survival Mode - or at the very least its reduced carry weight and it-turns-out-ammo-actually-has-weight-who-knew features.)

However, weapon omods in WARS also boost carry weight by an amount equal to their weight, and in this case I did use the weight of loaded magazines; the idea being that the ammo - like the weapon itself - is out of your pack and carried in the weapon, in your hands. This is all intended as part of the encumbrance overhaul in PEACE, really - but since it requires editing all weapon omods, I did it in WARS to make it less of a logistical nightmare, since I'm editing all the weapon omods there already anyway.

2) As I recall, isathar made new assets for all the new ammo types in AmmoTweaks, including the cartridges and boxes.

3) Long is probably better overall if you can manage the weight (and weight is definitely more of a concern in WARS/WAR and PEACE), but short barrels make getting in and out of your sights noticeably faster; that's something I amped up in WARS compared to the base game.

4) Isathar sent me a list of ammo sub-types in AmmoTweaks a while back, but the particulars may have changed a bit since then. Think along the lines of the relatively realistic variants in FNV, though. I can't remember if there are 40mm buckshot rounds, but there are apparently Hornet's Nest rounds... which is probably better. :wink:

5) No visual changes from ammo conversions, no. The game doesn't really support having an omod change more than one part of a weapon (e.g. both the magazine and the barrel), making this sort of thing a real pain technically speaking - for not much gain. I've done a bit of that via some tricks with material swaps toggling visibility of various parts of weapons, but that technique is also limited in its own way.

Anyway, as a general update:

I finished those changes to weapon skill perks I was talking about, and since then I've been taking the opportunity to get a bit done on PEACE. It is WARS' sister mod, so here's a list of features so far, from the draft readme:

Features

***Encumbrance***

PEACE overhauls encumbrance in FO4 with the aim of making both character Strength and equipment storage capacity important. Even the most muscle-bound titan will struggle to carry things when wearing nothing but a skin-tight jump-suit with no pockets. On the other hand, wearing a big metal suit festooned with pouches and pockets is little help if you're not strong enough to carry all that weight.

PEACE introduces the following changes in the hopes of making encumbrance in FO4 more believable, fun and interesting:

- The Strong Back perk now reduces the weight of equipped apparel, rather than boosting Carry Weight. (See the Perk Changes section below for more info.)

- Survival Mode no longer changes Carry Weight values. (In other words, the changes PEACE makes to encumbrance are the same across all difficulty levels.)

***Medical Treatment and Chems***

- Stimpaks

--- No longer heal the PC's injured limbs; only NPC's limbs.

--- Now heal using flat values, rather than by percentage of max HP. Heals 100HP by default, increased by 50HP with each rank of Medic.

----- I would have preferred to stick with percentage healing, but the effect that does that is hard-coded to also heal the user's limbs.

--- Now crafted with Antiseptic, Glass and Steel (the sterilised syringe), plus Bloodleaf x2, Hubflower x2, Mutfruit x2 and Purified Water.

----- No more injecting yourself with a mixture of antiseptic and blood of dubious origin!

- Hydra has been added, behaving much as it does in Fallout: New Vegas.

--- Rapidly heals injured limbs over time for 60 seconds.

--- Chance to cause Hydra addiction.

--- Crafted with Glowing Blood Pack, Glowing Fungus x3, Stimpak x3.

--- Can also be found in loot or bought from merchants.

- Medical Braces

--- Equipped like armour: one each for Head, Left Arm, Right Arm, Left Leg, Right Leg and Torso.

----- This does mean that they can't be worn at the same time as regular armour.

--- Heal the associated body part slowly: 0.05% per second, by default. (Each rank of Medic increases this by 0.05%, to a max. of 0.25% at rank 4.)

--- Medical Braces are cumbersome to wear however, with various penalties:

----- Head Brace reduces Perception by 2.

----- Arm Braces each reduce melee damage by 15% and reload speed by 15%.

----- Leg Braces each reduce movement speed by 15%.

----- Torso Brace reduces Action Point regeneration rate by 2 per second.

--- Power Armour sections can have Medical Braces installed in them also.

----- They heal the associated body part at the same speed as regular Medical Braces, but do not encumber that body part.

----- They do take up the Misc slot in the associated Power Armour section when installed, however.

- Changes to Survival Mode Chems

--- Antibiotics no longer cure all diseases; only Infection.

--- Antibiotics no longer require Stimpaks to craft, since they are less powerful than before.

--- Antibiotics can now also be crafted with Moldy Food in place of Glowing Fungus. (In addition to the regular recipe that requires Glowing Fungus.)

--- Herbal Anodyne now cures Insomnia and Weakness rather than providing resistance to it.

--- Herbal Antimicrobial is now Herbal Antiparasitic and cures Parasites rather than providing resistance to it. No longer provides resistance to Infection either.

--- Herbal Stimulant now cures Fatigue and Lethargy rather than providing resistance to it.

- Mysterious Serum now cures the Vault 81 Molerat Disease.

***Survival Mode***

- Yellow and orange status icons are now used in addition to the red icons, to better represent the relative severity of different status effects.

- "Parched" dehydration level is now named "Mildly Thirsty" - followed by Thirsty, Mildly Dehydrated, Dehydrated and Severely Dehydrated, as in the base game.

--- The word "parched" describes something as being *extremely* dry; a pretty odd choice for the mildest level of dehydration.

- "Famished" hunger level is now named "Very Hungry" - so the progession is now Peckish, Hungry, Very Hungry, Ravenous, Starving.

--- The difference between "Famished" and "Ravenous" as descriptors was confusingly ambiguous, in my opinion.

- "Overtired" is now "Very Tired", and "Weary" is now "Extremely Tired" - so the progession is now Tired, Very Tired, Extremely Tired, Exhausted, Incapacitated.

--- Trying to make these names less ambiguous, again.

- Reduced duration of Suppressed Immunity from 72 to 30 minutes (real-time).

***Power Armour***

- Power Armor Cargo Carrier added.

--- Essentially a huge metal backpack for power armour.

--- +150 Carry Weight, -20% Movement Speed. (See below for related changes to Calibrated Shocks leg mod, however.)

--- Attaches to new "Back Attachment" slot on power armour torso pieces.

- Base Resistance and Durability changes

--- Base Durability of power armour torso parts was doubled.

--- Arms/legs/helmets now have 75% as much Durability as their associated torso parts, rather than (typically) 25% as in vanilla FO4.

--- Base Radiation Resistance of all power armour parts reduced to 66% of vanilla FO4 values.

--- Raider power armour now has 75% as much Radiation Resistance as other power armour variants.

- Changes to existing power armour mods

--- Upgrading a power armour part (Model A, Model B, etc) now increases resistances and durability by 20% per rank, rather than by a flat value.

----- This means that higher ranked parts will see a greater improvement than they do in the base game.

----- This affects ALL applicable resistances, including Radiation Resistance.

--- Perk requirements for upgrading power armour parts were changed to make more advanced power armour more difficult to upgrade (and less advanced power armour easier to upgrade).

----- In the base game, upgrading power armour parts had the same perk requirements across the different power armour variants. (T-45, T-51, etc.)

--- Jet Pack now attaches to new "Back Attachment" slot - like the Cargo Carrier.

--- Calibrated Shocks leg mods now increase Movement Speed by 10% each, rather than increasing Carry Weight by 50 each, as before.

***Apparel Changes***

- Sunglasses now have +1 PER outdoors during the day, and -1 PER indoors or at night.

--- (Also accounting for different weather conditions - especially considering the various weather mods available - is too complicated for such a minor feature.)

***Settlement Objects***

- M12 Weapon Rack added.

--- An alternative to the weapon display peg boards from the Contraptions DLC.

--- Based on the venerable US Army M12 "Rack, Storage, Small Arms".

--- Modular setup; the frame is placed and then multiple mounts are snapped into it. The top of the frame is also a separate piece, to allow space for mounting larger weapons if necessary.

--- Made to fit weapons similar in size/shape to AR-15s, but accepts anything but Heavy and Unarmed weapons.

***Levelled List Changes***

- Herbal Remedies are now found in more kinds of medical containers.

- Moldy Food can now be (relatively rarely) found in certain food-related containers.

***Misc***

- Timescale reduced from 20 to 8. (So in-game time passes 8 times faster than real-time, not 20 times faster.)

***Object Mods***

(E.g. Armour and weapon mods.)

- Mod descriptions explicitly list what effects they have, unlike the very vague descriptions in vanilla.

***Fixes***

(Fixes for vanilla bugs.)

- Temporary bonuses from ingestibles getting stuck and stacking over time due to an interaction with the Well Rested/Lover's Embrace perks should be fixed. (Difficult to test.)

***Perk Changes***

PEACE makes changes to a number of perks.

Any perks changed by PEACE have been given more explicit descriptions if necessary. (E.g. listing the percentage chance something will happen rather than just saying "a chance".)

Here are the perks that have been changed (along with notes on what's been changed and what remains the same):

SPECIAL Perks:

Strength:

Strong Back

- Each rank now reduces the weight of equipped armour and clothing by a cumulative 20%, up to a max of 100% at rank 5.

- Ranks 1 and 2 no longer increase Carry Weight values.

- Unchanged:

--- Rank 3 allows the use of Action Points to run while over-encumbered.

--- Rank 4 allows fast travel while over-encumbered.

--- Rank 5 reduces Action Point cost of running while over-encumbered by 50%.

Endurance:

Adamantium Skeleton

- Ranks 1, 2 and 3 had their limb damage reductions reduced from 30%, 60% and 100% to 25%, 50% and 75% respectively.

Intelligence:

Medic

- Stimpak healing is now increased by 50HP per rank, rather than by a percentage. (See notes on Stimpak above for why.)

- Each rank increases Medical Brace healing rate by 0.05% per second.

- Unchanged: RadAway radiation removal still increased by a percentage, and rank 4 still increases healing speed.

Magazine perks:

Wasteland Survival 5

- Now gives +50% XP for discovering new locations.

- Unchanged: Diamond City is now permanently marked on your map.

I should mention that the Power Armour Cargo Carrier is just placeholder assets at the moment; working out dimensions and making sure that it'll work technically. Which it does! The Jet Pack is now on a new Back Attachment slot along with the Cargo Carrier, like it says there.

Right now I'm working on getting a satchel bag in there (just the one from the Postman outfit that we're all probably familiar with, but with some retexes I'm doing), as a test for the carrying-equipment overhaul I'm planning. (Where you get different carry weight bonuses from clothing/equipment like backpacks, based on your Strength.)

I do need to make a WIP thread for PEACE. Once I've got a bit more of it to show in screenshots, probably.

Edited by antistar

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

hey antistar great work man! been following for a long time now! just wanted to ask one question? i was wondering if this mod would be featuring a ump at all? if not thats cool man i did not see it on the list or at least i don't think i did

Edited by TFA2xReznov

A UMP is a possibility - Ha_ru did do an animation set for one - but an MP5 is more likely. Ha_ru saying that I could probably use that anim set for an MP5 were I to do one is when I learnt he'd done the UMP animations, actually.

Regarding PEACE and power armour; Power armour suits are literally walking tanks,and quite plainly airtight,considering your permanent underwater time while wearing a suit. To that end,isn't it more than a little shenanigans that they don't provide poison resistance,especially since stepping into a power armour frame completely negates any and all stats provided by worn equipment?

This is kind of an aside, but as I understand it, power armour gives greatly extended time underwater before you run out of air, but not infinite time. I don't have the CK open at the moment, but one of the perks or "enchantments" or something related to power armour I saw the other day indicated five times the usual breath-time, I think it was.

Anyway that would still support the idea of power armour being air-tight, something which I think is mentioned in earlier Fallout lore too.

I have been thinking about Poison (and Fire and Cold) Resistances recently. Power armour having Poison Resistance sounds sensible, but would I then need to go through all the normal armour and clothing and give it to them as appropriate too? That's what I've been thinking about actually; whether or not to add those resistances to apparel, and to then also add the associated damage types to weapons. (E.g. making fire weapons do Fire Damage, rather than Energy Damage.)

Energy Resistance is a kinda/sorta okay analogue to Fire and Cold Resistance; vaguely "insulated" materials protecting against extreme temperature differences - but Poison is kind of an odd one out. I'm also not sure yet how I'd assign the different resistance types to different apparel items. Higher Fire Resistance on clothes/armour that don't look too flammable? Cold Resistance on clothes that look warm? Poison Resistance on armour that looks like it could stop a big mutated stinger?

I am going to be reviewing all the apparel in the game while working on the encumbrance overhaul, so I'll probably think about it more then. It'd be a good time for it.

On that topic; I was able to test my idea today for different Strength values giving different Carry Weight bonuses from apparel with storage capacity. It seems to work just fine - even updating dynamically if you take something like Buffout that boosts your STR into another "bracket". The way I've got it set up so far is four STR brackets - so a Satchel Bag for example might be like:

1-3 STR = +10 CW

4-6 STR = +15 CW

7-9 STR = +20 CW

10+ STR = +25 CW

Cumbersome: -1 AGI

Not final numbers on the bonuses there; I still need to work all that out. The "Cumbersome" penalty wouldn't be on everything; some backpacks might be better or worse there. I know from experience though that satchel bags are more awkward to move around in than a regular backpack. They're intended as kind of an entry level backpack in the mod. Oh - I'm thinking of having one of the higher ranks of Strong Back give you immunity to those Cumbersome penalties, too.

Getting the information about the different STR brackets and resulting bonuses across to the player is a little awkward. The game doesn't really have a good way to add a custom description field to items. (There is one, but it only shows up in the crafting menu.) The text from Legendary omods does show up on an object's item card, but the formatting isn't great and you obviously can't use that on things that could spawn as actual Legendary items in the way we're used to seeing them. Still, I may end up using that for some items. Others will just have to have that information on a normal omod, so you can at least see all the details at a modding bench.

Every single source of poison damage in the game is delivered via an injection of some kind; Be it from a Rabid Molerat bite (Which has a poison damage effect) and pretty much any goddamned bug in the game stinging or biting you,it's almost always a venomous injection. With the case of the Rabid Molerat and one (I think...) variety of Ghoul with the poison effect,they're still logically breaking skin to deliver a rapid-onset infection. Unless Mirelurk Hunter/Queen bile deals poison damage... Which is total bollocks,since it's quite plainly some kind of mega acid. The Acid Sprayer from Nuka World also deals poison damage,which is,well... Bollocks. Acid ain't poison. So,for poison resistance on armour; Ask yourself if it can stop a purpose-built penetrator with all of the weight of a fully-grown man,or more,behind it. The usual answer for that question is "No." Power armour,meanwhile,would be able to pull it off. Even the Raider variant.

Finding a way to change the damage type for Mirelurk bile and the Acid Sprayer might be in the cards,too.

By lore,power armour is very well insulated,with the exception of T-45d,and conceivably the Raider hack-job,so having fire and cryo resistance on power armour makes sense. As for poison,fire,and cryo resistance on more conventional apparel and armour? As I said before,just about nothing in the game besides power armour and robots can conceivably survive a Radscorpion stinging it,and Robot Armour (Added by Automatron) likely wouldn't survive,as much of the robot's durability comes from most of its internals being significantly hardier than the human being beneath the armoured plating that Robot Armour is made from. For fire and cryo resistance,the Boston area is in a fairly temperate area that will conceivably see a reasonable amount of snow in three months time (The game starts a week before Hallowe'en.),so it's reasonable to assume that most non-Institute outfit items would have enough cryo resistance to suggest that it's suitable for hiking from Concord to Fenway Park,a significant distance in reality. Of course,this is assuming the outfit item has long sleeves and legs,and only minimal visible holes. The Institute's outifts would be exempt,as they live in a climate-controlled paradise,and their only agents on the surface are either Synths who either can't feel discomfort (First and second generation) or are posthuman cyborgs who have a much more drastic tolerance. The armour in the game is visibly not made for insulation,but instead to protect the wearer from the hazards of war. For fire resistance,that is pretty simple.

Don't apply it to any outfit or conventional armour.

Fire simply does not care. If it's sticking to you,you'll sooner die of asphyxiation than trauma. If it doesn't stick to you,then the heat is the issue,and fires burn extremely hot. A campfire? Eleven hundred degrees Celsius. I shudder to imagine what a flamethrower's fuel burns at. Every single apparel item has elements that will catch fire from exposure to any fire attack in the game. Only power armour is exempt from this,provided you're not talking about T-51b,which has very visible leather straps on the shins,and that iconic leather gorget,both of which would either catch fire,or,if treated,melt,when exposed to these flames. For power armour,T-45d is infamous in lore for having God-awful temperature control and insulation. Which makes sense; It's a rush-job,actually. Raider power armour would be even worse off,since it's slapped together from scrap metal and salvaged,poorly kept,power armour pieces. T-51b has the aforementioned leather parts,which would suffer when exposed to fire,but you'd still be better off than wearing any previously mentioned suit. The Asbestos Lining mod for outfit and armour (?) items would make it extremely difficult for you to actually catch flame,but it'd be cold comfort if you're getting hosed by a flamethrower. If we approach from the realistic model,then the Forged would likely become the second most dangerous group of humans in the Commonwealth,due to their heavy use of incendiaries,which,as I've spent an entire paragraph explaining,doesn't care about armour.

Getting significant cryo resistance would be difficult,and often impractical; I have never fought an enemy that wields cryo damage. However,candidates would be the Winter Jacket and Jeans outfit item,for reasons I think are obvious,and the Cleanroom Suit and intact Hazmat Suit. The latter two would actually have some manner of fire resistance,contrary to my rant above; They're explicitly engineered to protect the wearer from not only hazardous materials,but hazardous environments,as well. Which would make for a hilarious image of Hancock in a Hazmat Suit kicking down the doors at Saugus Ironworks.

And THAT is my breakdown on "elemental" protections.

As for communicating the stats you're using for carry weight and carry volume limits,maybe a note? If you go that route,maybe make it the musings of a scavenger and complaining about storage woes,with lines like, "Maybe Hercules' Bigger Cousin can haul all that junk..." and in general using the rank titles from the New Vegas Vit-o-Matic Vigor Tester to explain these things.

Thanks for the bits of lore info on the power armour (and general ideas for general armour/clothing); I've made some notes for when I go over all the armour/clothing values.

The "all or nothing" approach you're talking about there - while possibly more realistic in many cases - isn't something I'm likely to go for though. For better or worse, FO4 uses Damage Resistance rather than Damage Threshold. (I know about TalkieToaster's DT mod, but it does have problems apparently due to some hard-coded issues in FO4.)

More than anything, I think having a range of resistance values across different items - rather than absolute immunity or complete vulnerability and nothing in between - is more fun and interesting. With Fire Resistance too, for example, I think there's a reasonable range to be observed going from something like a cheap Halloween costume with an "avoid open flame" warning on it through to a fire-fighter entry suit or whatever. (The hazmat suits are probably a good analogue there, like you said.)

Yeah, Cryo damage isn't likely to come up much. I think I made it possible for certain (higher level) NPCs to spawn with them in WARS, though. Not sure off the top of my head.

The info for the Carry Weight bonuses on equipment is currently pretty much like I said above. E.g.:

More STR = more Carry Weight: 1-3 STR = +5 CW. 4-6 STR = +10 CW. 7-9 STR = +15 CW. 10+ STR = +20 CW. Cumbersome: -1 AGI.

That's in an omod description. Where possible I'll have it flagged as a Legendary, which just makes that text show up on an item when you inspect it. Otherwise, the omod will have a name that roughly indicates the storage capacity you can expect from it - like in the base game with "Deep Pockets" and whatnot. Then when looking at it at an Armor Workbench, you'll be able to see the full description.

Not perfect, but (and stop me if you've heard this one before) BGS aren't very good at UI design. In any case, I don't know about in-game notes (though the FNV references would be cool), but I will likely have load-screen tips on it, and maybe something in the in-game Help section.

https://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/33760 Not sure if you knew about this one or not but this Damage Threshold implementation is by all accounts more stable than TalkieToaster's and being currently maintain, in case DT was something you're interested in.

Regarding cryo resistance, while it might not be something the player needs to worry about all that much, not having it in the wild does tend to give the cryolator a bit of an advantage. Not to mention cryo grenades and mines are also base game and not too uncommon to be found if not used, so a certain amount of cryo resistance at least within some of the enemy factions would make sense. Maybe a lining omod for certain outfits, the longjohns and some of the gunner and bos uniforms, and maybe a winterized coating for the basic armors (leather, metal, combat, synth, robot) if you were feeling generous. Also future proofs things a bit for if and when some of the nexus energy weapons get patched for WARS.

Otherwise yeah, I have to agree with you, while I enjoy a game being set up so as I have to tailor my approach for certain enemies, like having to install asbestos lining in my armor before dealing with the Forged when using mods that restore the fire damage type, having a certain armor being simply the best or only real solution quickly takes the fun out of it. That was one of my main problems with the base game, especially after Far Harbor added in the Marine Combat armor, due to there being no armor classes and all the mod optioins being the same there was no reason to pick an armor other than DR, so unless you're roleplaying someone with really specific hang ups or that would honestly sacrifice protection for the aesthetic, you'll always end up wearing essentially the same thing by the end of the game.

I use that better power armor mod which changes power armor so damage to the player doesn't happen all over every time they are shot while wearing it. I don't like some of the badly handled details of power armor in fallout 4. The neck area for example, do those two tanks on the back of the PA frame hold air or something else? I would assume air and that would mean there is an air tight seal around the neck for the helmet but nope just not enough of a gap to see whats really going on thats all. Take a look at this mod up close in game you will see a bunch of gaps in everything https://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/11017.

Those gaps just kills immersion for me but I try to ignore them somehow:-(

Power armor should be a bit more bulky and the power armor frame should have a frame around the head that mostly can move the same way as a person could move their head with restriction to just how far they could look up or down related to the fact that the helmet can't just magically clip through the rest of the armor while the wearer is looking around. also that air tight seal could only be moved around so much before it would cause movement restriction. Not having that frame around the head means getting shot in the head while wearing PA could break the wearer neck. That frame would have servos built in that could compensate for that sort of thing. I know it is a game lol but that one kind of injury should kill the wearer if it was powerful enough like a 50cal shot to the head ya know? Should be enough kinetic force there to break a neck and since the helmet is heavy too the weight from it just adds to the problem. Now think about all the other moving areas of PA and how they all have to be air tight too. Just sitting down in PA should be almost impossible and running should be hard to do and probably cause damage to air tight seals over time. The whole thing should be balanced so the wearer can't move around like spiderman but they could get around and operate weapons and activators in the world like doors or simple devices. There could be a condition system in place so if you move around in the suit for too long or take critical hits the condition decreases and has to be repaired in order to maintain an air tight seal otherwise radiation gets in among other things.

Thats another thing I don't even understand how something like PA could be resistant to rads. It takes a solid four walls and a floor and a ceiling with no space at all in between any of them not even microscopically to properly keep out radiation any crack or space at all and it gets in. The only thing dense enough to stop radiation is lead and it has to be thick too. So how does something like PA armor pieces and some seals keep rads out? I remember watching an old documentary on some channel on tv years ago and this guy was interviewed that operated some kind of loading machine that loaded nuclear bombs on to american nuclear bomber planes he said the loading machine had many layers of lead lined glass for the view port and it was a long view port which made actually seeing what he was doing in there really hard to do. I think he also said because it was glass it didn't exactly keep out all the rads even lead lined it was still a weakness in the design of the loader. Something like that now would have a camera system instead of glass view ports.

The different types of power armor upgrades from A to F should actually be visible and not just a stat increase. Ablative function could solve that so if you upgraded all of your armor to F model and then took damage later it would decrease to a lower model visually. Each model should simply look moar ablative than the previous model.

https://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/33760 Not sure if you knew about this one or not but this Damage Threshold implementation is by all accounts more stable than TalkieToaster's and being currently maintain, in case DT was something you're interested in.

Regarding cryo resistance, while it might not be something the player needs to worry about all that much, not having it in the wild does tend to give the cryolator a bit of an advantage. Not to mention cryo grenades and mines are also base game and not too uncommon to be found if not used, so a certain amount of cryo resistance at least within some of the enemy factions would make sense. Maybe a lining omod for certain outfits, the longjohns and some of the gunner and bos uniforms, and maybe a winterized coating for the basic armors (leather, metal, combat, synth, robot) if you were feeling generous. Also future proofs things a bit for if and when some of the nexus energy weapons get patched for WARS.

Otherwise yeah, I have to agree with you, while I enjoy a game being set up so as I have to tailor my approach for certain enemies, like having to install asbestos lining in my armor before dealing with the Forged when using mods that restore the fire damage type, having a certain armor being simply the best or only real solution quickly takes the fun out of it. That was one of my main problems with the base game, especially after Far Harbor added in the Marine Combat armor, due to there being no armor classes and all the mod optioins being the same there was no reason to pick an armor other than DR, so unless you're roleplaying someone with really specific hang ups or that would honestly sacrifice protection for the aesthetic, you'll always end up wearing essentially the same thing by the end of the game.

I thought I remembered seeing another DT framework pop up at some point. I already had that one tracked, so I've definitely seen it before. If it doesn't have problems with power armour being "healed" by low damage attacks, then that sounds great. I think where I'm at with DR vs DT though is that while I prefer DT, I don't prefer it enough to want to overhaul everything in WARS and PEACE and (potentially) AmmoTweaks to use it. At least not at the moment. Maybe I'll change my mind at some point?

Cryo Resistance existing for the sake of enemies coming up against the Cryolator/cryo grenades/etc is a good point.

Heavy stuff like the Marine Combat Armour might be less of an inevitability in PEACE. Even with apparel weighing less while equipped (at the moment it's 50% less by default, with each rank of Strong Back adding another 10% to that), I'm looking at adding Strength requirements to armour. Not a requirement that prohibits you from equipping it if you don't meet it; just some penalties, probably like the ones the medical braces have.

I'm thinking of having the Light Build armour omods remove that STR requirement, giving more meaning to the choice between those and the Pocketed omods. You might need a Light Build omod to enable you to use some heavy armour without penalties, but that would mean sacrificing the ability to carry more stuff.

I use that better power armor mod which changes power armor so damage to the player doesn't happen all over every time they are shot while wearing it. I don't like some of the badly handled details of power armor in fallout 4. The neck area for example, do those two tanks on the back of the PA frame hold air or something else? I would assume air and that would mean there is an air tight seal around the neck for the helmet but nope just not enough of a gap to see whats really going on thats all. Take a look at this mod up close in game you will see a bunch of gaps in everything https://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/11017.

Those gaps just kills immersion for me but I try to ignore them somehow:-(

Power armor should be a bit more bulky and the power armor frame should have a frame around the head that mostly can move the same way as a person could move their head with restriction to just how far they could look up or down related to the fact that the helmet can't just magically clip through the rest of the armor while the wearer is looking around. also that air tight seal could only be moved around so much before it would cause movement restriction. Not having that frame around the head means getting shot in the head while wearing PA could break the wearer neck. That frame would have servos built in that could compensate for that sort of thing. I know it is a game lol but that one kind of injury should kill the wearer if it was powerful enough like a 50cal shot to the head ya know? Should be enough kinetic force there to break a neck and since the helmet is heavy too the weight from it just adds to the problem. Now think about all the other moving areas of PA and how they all have to be air tight too. Just sitting down in PA should be almost impossible and running should be hard to do and probably cause damage to air tight seals over time. The whole thing should be balanced so the wearer can't move around like spiderman but they could get around and operate weapons and activators in the world like doors or simple devices. There could be a condition system in place so if you move around in the suit for too long or take critical hits the condition decreases and has to be repaired in order to maintain an air tight seal otherwise radiation gets in among other things.

Thats another thing I don't even understand how something like PA could be resistant to rads. It takes a solid four walls and a floor and a ceiling with no space at all in between any of them not even microscopically to properly keep out radiation any crack or space at all and it gets in. The only thing dense enough to stop radiation is lead and it has to be thick too. So how does something like PA armor pieces and some seals keep rads out? I remember watching an old documentary on some channel on tv years ago and this guy was interviewed that operated some kind of loading machine that loaded nuclear bombs on to american nuclear bomber planes he said the loading machine had many layers of lead lined glass for the view port and it was a long view port which made actually seeing what he was doing in there really hard to do. I think he also said because it was glass it didn't exactly keep out all the rads even lead lined it was still a weakness in the design of the loader. Something like that now would have a camera system instead of glass view ports.

The different types of power armor upgrades from A to F should actually be visible and not just a stat increase. Ablative function could solve that so if you upgraded all of your armor to F model and then took damage later it would decrease to a lower model visually. Each model should simply look moar ablative than the previous model.

Most of this falls into the realm of "things that would be cool but which are waaaay outside the scope of what I'll be doing in PEACE". ;)