[WIP] Weapon Addition and Replacement Suite (WARS)

antistar

Yeah but a lot of us would use this mod in tandem with other mods like Cross Cybernetics or personal miniguns or strength based characters, that can wield heavy weapons. I don't think restricting things or forcing restrictions is a good way to make something fun. That's why games like XCOM or Fallout offer options, toggles, and mod tools.

Just let players decide what their games do for them.

I'm suggesting a restriction solely for power armor weapon usage, a player character not using power armor would have course be able to wield any and all weapons, perhaps with a strength requirement for heavy ones. In most promotional shots and artwork, we see power armor soldiers mainly wielding heavy weapons which were designed specifically for those armors, anything else just looks a little ridiculous and out of place in my opinion, especially small arms such as pistols and smgs. This restriction would also help balance out Power Armor and make it less of an obvious choice since it's like "Hey you get all these advantages but you have to do maintenance, provide fusion cores AND you will only be able to use select weapons designed specifically for use with this armor". Fun is entirely subjective of course and you will never be able to design a game or a rather complex mod that accommodates each person's playing styles and notion of fun.

Actually I think you may be onto something, this is after all a mod and not the core game. Skinny little runts wielding large cumbersome and very heavy weapons does look a bit out of place to me. Of course the answer would be to have an MCM menu to set who uses what. Then it would be possible to limit heavy weapons to power armour users or npc's and players with a very high strength rating.

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah but a lot of us would use this mod in tandem with other mods like Cross Cybernetics or personal miniguns or strength based characters, that can wield heavy weapons. I don't think restricting things or forcing restrictions is a good way to make something fun. That's why games like XCOM or Fallout offer options, toggles, and mod tools.

Just let players decide what their games do for them.

I'm suggesting a restriction solely for power armor weapon usage, a player character not using power armor would have course be able to wield any and all weapons, perhaps with a strength requirement for heavy ones. In most promotional shots and artwork, we see power armor soldiers mainly wielding heavy weapons which were designed specifically for those armors, anything else just looks a little ridiculous and out of place in my opinion, especially small arms such as pistols and smgs. This restriction would also help balance out Power Armor and make it less of an obvious choice since it's like "Hey you get all these advantages but you have to do maintenance, provide fusion cores AND you will only be able to use select weapons designed specifically for use with this armor". Fun is entirely subjective of course and you will never be able to design a game or a rather complex mod that accommodates each person's playing styles and notion of fun.

Actually I think you may be onto something, this is after all a mod and not the core game. Skinny little runts wielding large cumbersome and very heavy weapons does look a bit out of place to me. Of course the answer would be to have an MCM menu to set who uses what. Then it would be possible to limit heavy weapons to power armour users or npc's and players with a very high strength rating.

Well, I mean you can accommodate peoples preferences. That's the entire purpose of what the Creation Kit was made for.

A simple MCM toggle for hardcore vs. more casual options would suffice.

Hi I like the look of the way this mod is going, I was wondering if you had thought of giving the short versions of weapons like the sawn off shotgun the animations from pistols instead of the rifle animation. obviousely the calliber would need to be lowwer than for the long versions or you would break your wrist, but I always thought it would look cool if it was possible.

Probably not, I'm afraid; you can't really just "give" it existing pistol animations; a new set of animations would have to be made.

A lot could be done with weapon restrictions (or differences in weapon handling) when it comes to being in/out of power armour - but doing a lot takes a lot of work. ;)

My hope is to have a Strength requirement system for weapons via AmmoTweaks v2. It sounds like what isathar is doing there should work well. In combination with the encumbrance overhaul in PEACE (which already has a STR requirement system for armour in it), that side of things should hopefully feel more natural.

In PEACE there are penalties if you don't meet the requirement - rather than outright restrictions - and I believe it's the same in AmmoTweaks v2 for weapons.

Anyway, hey - while I'm here; I released a mod the other day (celebrating twenty years of mod releases). Better Armory Mod (BAM) - split off from PEACE. If anyone's interested, check it out. :)

Surprise! I decided that I would go ahead and release the Thompson SMG from WARS as a standalone mod:

- Thompson SMG Replacer

It was actually doing the standalone release of BAM that made me decide to go ahead with TSR. Previously I considered it too much of a hassle since... well, copying records from one plugin to another should be easy - and often it is - but it becomes more complicated when the records refer to each other a lot. You copy a record into a new plugin but it's still referring to records in the original plugin, and it gets to be very fiddly.

With BAM though I remembered something that I must have done before at some point, but just forgot about because it would have been years ago; I could duplicate the entire plugin (PEACE for BAM, WARS for TSR), and then just remove everything that didn't need to be in it, leaving all the links between records intact.

Well I say "just", but it's still kind of fiddly - especially for TSR since I still needed to tweak/revert the remaining SMG-related records to fit in with the vanilla game.

Anyway, that's why. I don't like sitting on all this stuff. I want to put things out so that people can enjoy them. However like I've said before, I don't want to waste my time on things I don't like and won't use myself when I could instead spend that time getting WARS and PEACE finished, so I'm not planning to do this for any of the other weapons in WARS at this stage, sorry.

So - check it out if you want, and let me know if there are any problems.

I don't know if you've answered this already so sorry if U've already answered but I couldn't find it. What existing mods do u already have thought through that ur gunna make patches for? if u've thought about that at all that is.

This is kind of hard to answer since it will likely change based on how much of a pain it ends up being to make a patch for a weapon. I think though that a good rule of thumb for something I'd at least like to support via patch is:

1) It's not very similar to a weapon that's already in WARS. E.g. if it's based on the AR-15 platform, then probably not.

2) It's mentioned in the OP as a weapon I'd like to see included.

Can you release the m16 M203 grenade launcher as a standalone I have been waiting years to finally use it and the Service Rifle expansion pack is such a TEASE for your version.

I have been wanting to Role play as a scarface playthrough for sometime.

I already answered this in a post on this very page.