[WIP] Weapon Addition and Replacement Suite (WARS)

antistar

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Antistar, I could be off the map here, but here goes.

A lot of people seem to be asking you to add this feature or tweak that function. You have a plan and sticking to it so far and that is commendable. You are carving your own work out of what the CK allows you and that is a great chunk of work. I see this influx of input as something of a demonstration of both trust and enthusiasm.

I think a lot of them are asking you because you

a) seem to have a pretty damn good grasp of what the game engine can or cannot do with or without extended modding involved -due in no small part to your expertise

and

b) you have the willingness to discuss to the reason why it can or cannot be done within your project, and/or add your take on it.

Since your WARS project is tightly focused on weapons and weapon implementation, users are just eager to bounce ideas and suggestion off you in hope you might implement it OR that someone picks up that piece of modding and spins it into its own. Not a lot of modders out there do this and some simply ignore the requests and simply say ''can't be done.''

In a way this thread is a kind of ''Antistar Weaponsmith mod clinic'' for a lot of users.

Then again I could be way off - but looking at the numbers of post in this discussion, I would wager not by much.

Again - thanks for you time and effort.

It's probably just as well I've picked something up after all this time modding these games. ;) Even if it is often a case of "knowing enough to realise how much I don't know" to paraphrase whatever that saying is.

Anyway, yeah; it's not nice to have to say "no" when someone asks for something, so I do hope that explaining why will... soften the blow, I guess.

Do you think there would be anything needed to be done to make other modded weapons compatible balance wise with WARS (And by extension PEACE too)? I'm mainly thinking in terms of damage and cost of crafting upgrades/attachments. Not sure if you've made drastic changes to damage numbers, but if you have and you're able to release them I could have a go with making the popular weapon mods compatible to kill time while we wait for release.

It'd be great to be able to get a head-start on this - so I appreciate the offer there - but unfortunately weapon patches can't really be done until the AmmoTweaks integration is in and the numbers are more finalised. There are definitely damage and crafting changes there, but also changes to object mod structure and attached stats/effects. With AmmoTweaks specifically I believe there'll be separate config files to set up per weapon, defining their AmmoTweaks-specific stats and other info. Just a lot of stuff that can't be done without access to a copy of WARS that has the AmmoTweaks v2 framework integrated into it, and that doesn't exist yet.

Once I've written more of the tutorial on adding WARS support for an existing weapon, I could probably share that so that people could start making some of those structural changes to omods, I guess? I've largely put that on the back-burner until the AmmoTweaks integration is in though, since what will need to be in the tutorial is certain to change at that point. For the same reason, I don't know if I'd want to give people an incomplete tutorial that may change later on; it could lead to people wasting a lot of time and effort.

You know what though; this may be a little esoteric, but something that would help give the proper WARS/PEACE treatment to whichever weapon/s you're thinking of is to work out their weight. Itemised per object mod (so receiver, mags, sights - whatever that weapon has), and as close to reality as possible.

This is a lot harder and more time-consuming to do than it sounds; information that precise is hard to find. (Unless you have access to the real thing, like kuzi127 did for some weapons.) It would help you - or me or whoever else - when eventually making a patch for that weapon.

If anyone actually feels like doing that for existing weapon mods they'd like to see patches made for (and I wouldn't blame you if you didn't; it's kind of satisfying but definitely time-consuming), feel free to post the results in the thread if you like and I'll collate them in one of the first posts or something.

Can xbox users expect more standalone weapons from wars cause the Tommy gun mod is probably my new favorite.

It's like Shana said, I'm afraid - and there's more info on this in the FAQ on the TSR Nexus page.

Thanks for replying. What guns are you guys most looking forward to see in the commonwealth?

This question could take a bit to answer, many mod authors have covered so many firearms and sidearms I desire to have, en7even and slayer covered 1911s albeit custom ones, the modern firearms team covered the H&K MK 23 and USP, along with AK variants and the m16 (albeit antistars is better ;) ), MTR covered the S&W model 500, I'm really picky about submachine guns and so far antistars TSR is the only one to catch my eye, come to think of it I'm just as picky with shotguns, Olegmontana and Wardaddy covered that with the AA12 3.0, asxas covered the M1 Garand, I can't remember who did the Famas G1 and G2, I'd like to see a real H&K PSG-1, T41NT3Ds r91 and kuzi127s r91 expansion is what I so far use for that, nobodies covered the Dragunov SVD yet, unless that's in that new Russian weapon pack.

The Russian Assault Pack does indeed have an SVD in it. Looks pretty nice.

There's... I mean there's a lot of weapons I'd like to get in there, but off the top of my head, the recent FN FAL and MP5 mods are pretty high on my list.

I'm also still hoping to include an M1911 in WARS at some point, because I'm still keen to have that classic Terminator reference in there.

If you add the M1911,then I pray,pray,that we can get A Light Shining in Darkness,with all the authentic festoonery,because Joshua Graham's a BAMF,and his personal pocket cannon is so completely and eminently stylish that I'm prepared to deal with the accuracy and range issues that the three-or-so inch barrel presents. Plus the aiming issues of guttersnipe sights.

The Russian Assault Pack does indeed have an SVD in it. Looks pretty nice.

Â

Â

I'm also still hoping to include an M1911 in WARS at some point, because I'm still keen to have that classic Terminator reference in there.

Yeah I noticed the Russian Assault Pack indeed has an SVD-63 in it from further looking at the mod and it is pretty nice, but it kind of seems small to me, I mean I know the Dragunov SVD-63 is smaller than the Heckler & Koch PSG-1, I don't know what's your thoughts about it Antistar?

For the M1911 it depends on whether you want classic standard or personalized custom, Modern Firearms now features en7evens badass custom 1911s and I know someone made your classic standard WWII M1911A1, so there's options...so long as you can get permission to use such assets of course.

If you add the M1911,then I pray,pray,that we can get A Light Shining in Darkness,with all the authentic festoonery,because Joshua Graham's a BAMF,and his personal pocket cannon is so completely and eminently stylish that I'm prepared to deal with the accuracy and range issues that the three-or-so inch barrel presents. Plus the aiming issues of guttersnipe sights.

Having the option for a compact/officer's/whatever variant would be cool, so hopefully I'll be able to do that. To do compact, standard size and long-slide variants though, they might need to be different receivers, in in-game terms. This is something I'll have to give some thought to, because I'd most likely want them to take the place of different barrel length omods - since being able to attach a barrel shorter than the current frame/slide... might be weird.

Maybe I'd have "frame" options in place of the barrels, and then the usual five "receiver" omods that represent quality/condition level in WARS would be invisible, essentially.

Yeah I noticed the Russian Assault Pack indeed has an SVD-63 in it from further looking at the mod and it is pretty nice, but it kind of seems small to me, I mean I know the Dragunov SVD-63 is smaller than the Heckler & Koch PSG-1, I don't know what's your thoughts about it Antistar?

For the M1911 it depends on whether you want classic standard or personalized custom, Modern Firearms now features en7evens badass custom 1911s and I know someone made your classic standard WWII M1911A1, so there's options...so long as you can get permission to use such assets of course.

I'm no expert on the SVD (or any gun, really) - and I haven't had a close look at that mod myself, but from the screenshots the size looks alright, I think. Just judging by how big the grip,etc appears in the character's hands.

I'd probably want to port an M1911 from a resource (e.g. from gamebanana) myself rather than start from one that's already ported, since I'd likely need to make a lot of changes/additions anyway in order to get the different sizes and attachments I want. Oh, and different textures. I usually need to make my own high-poly versions of the models to bake the maps required for that.

I wouldn't want anything like the majority of those custom M1911s. I just don't like the way they look. I'm more after a classic look in WARS generally.

I'm no expert on the SVD (or any gun, really) - and I haven't had a close look at that mod myself, but from the screenshots the size looks alright, I think. Just judging by how big the grip,etc appears in the character's hands.

Â

I'd probably want to port an M1911 from a resource (e.g. from gamebanana) myself rather than start from one that's already ported, since I'd likely need to make a lot of changes/additions anyway in order to get the different sizes and attachments I want. Oh, and different textures. I usually need to make my own high-poly versions of the models to bake the maps required for that.

Â

I wouldn't want anything like the majority of those custom M1911s. I just don't like the way they look. I'm more after a classic look in WARS generally.

Maybe it's just me...or the screenshots lol I'm sure everyone could agree some screenshots are deceiving, think I'll see how the SVD looks in game myself, after all you want to know how accurate a weapon mod is you look at it ingame right.

I see your point there with trying to have all the sizes and attachments you intend to implement, though I'm wondering, for a standard stock M1911A1s how many different parts are you expecting to find, we are talking an old world pistol here, I'd imagine reality wise they're pretty limited.

I thought that would be your response, most of the weapons featured in WARS is pretty standard along with the parts no, having high grade customs like those in WARS would stick out like a sore thumb compared to other weapons in WARS.