[WIP] Weapon Addition and Replacement Suite (WARS)

antistar

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi there.

Â

I just wondering if you guys are still working on the mod. Or could share some tips on replacement mods since I use them and was hoping to make a few of my own but I can't find a good source of info for them.

It is still being worked on currently but Antistar is waiting for the AmmoTweaks update to be released as it's intended to be the framework for WARS.

When it comes to asking about replacer mods with the idea of making your own you're going to have to be more specific about what info you're looking for, modeling, texturing, animations etc.

I'm pretty limited in experience when it comes to modeling and what not especially for Fallout 4 so someone else is probably better suited to help you there.

Hi there.

I just wondering if you guys are still working on the mod. Or could share some tips on replacement mods since I use them and was hoping to make a few of my own but I can't find a good source of info for them.

It's as Shanzy says there. I did post an update on PEACE just the other day, though.

The usual advice I give to someone wanting to learn how to make a particular kind of mod is to look at existing mods of that type (so weapon(?) replacer mods in this case), to see how they're put together.

Speaking of making weapons look more like weapons, what do you think of this mod?

Â

https://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/44177

I like what they did to the pipe guns, the laser musket especially and the assault rifle (looks less bulky now,) don't like what they did to the deliverer however, it's the one gun in the game actually reminiscent of a real world gun (being the Walther PPK.)

Personally I don't like pipe weapons, feels too much like the weapon would break after the first few shots, I seldom use energy weapons and for the assault rifle I use mods that add assault rifles, Hyperfx's G36, Modern Firearms for AKs and AR15s etc., when WARS is released I'll be replacing my use of the Modern Firearms AR15 with Antistars, all for that M203 reload animation.

Speaking of making weapons look more like weapons, what do you think of this mod?

https://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/44177

I think they did a very good job within the limitations of the "remixing existing meshes" approach - but that approach can have some problems. By using parts drawn from multiple different weapons (or other objects) in one weapon, you can end up drastically increasing the texture memory required for that weapon, since the game still has to load all those different textures, even if only a small part of each of them is being visibly "used".

This approach can also result in a higher polycount than would otherwise be required, if you're adding extra polygons to make up for details that aren't in the textures you're using because they were originally made for something else. That can obviously have an impact on performance if the weapon is being used by a lot of NPCs at once, for example.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...