[WIP] Weapon Addition and Replacement Suite (WARS)

antistar

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Heh no arguing from me that reload animations are cooler but I wouldn't necessarily call never ending on a m60 or minigun magical or at least I wouldn't call "assuming all the compatible ammo a wastelander can realistically carry fits in thier big under-slung belt bag or giant feed drum" any more magical than the miniguns present 3rd person reload animation where you one hand extracting the empty drum, pull a giant heavy loaded drum from your hammer space and slot it into place again manhandling this mass of bullets all with one hand holding it from the handle on the butt end often out of power armor and while running...

And of-course there is balance because big high capacity weapons have long reloads that cancel out the boon of carrying more bullets while stilling penalizing you with weight and higher AP costs. giving the high capacity niche never ending gives a player more of a reason to pause and consider picking one up vs a handy AR in the same caliber.

Anyway that's all I had to say on it I'll respect your decision I just wanted to make my full case.

Never having to reload implies that the gun's magazine is the equivalent of a bag of holding from Dungeons and Dragons. I don't think describing that as magic is controversial. :tongue:

I agree on the ridiculousness of the Minigun reload animation though. Really there isn't a whole lot about the Minigun's implementation in FO4 that I do like.

Found the machine gun I was referencing; It's the Ultimax 100,specifically,the Mk. 3 variant. That said,it uses 5.56mm NATO.

I wonder if magazine-fed machine guns/LSW's exist that take 7.62mm NATO,or equivalent...

Off the top of my head there's the HK21, which is in the list of "possible" guns in the OP, in fact.

I dunno about 7.62 NATO exactly but WWII, and fallout tactics/NV are full of them

None of those use .308/7.62x51mm, for what it's worth. :wink: (Maybe certain BAR variants?) They're all like .30-06 or .303 British though I think, so I guess they're sort of in the ballpark. Bigger than 5.56x45mm, that's for sure.

What notation will you use for ammunition types that share the same diameter,but have different lengths? While it might be most accurate to use "true full measurements" notation,that can,and will get confusing,and fast. There are multiple 5.56mm rounds,but of wildly different lengths,and used by all sorts of different guns. The same can be said of 7.62mm and even 9mm. Maybe use notation like "7.62mm NATO" and "7.62mm USSR" for such things; Give the diameter,and then the family of guns that can accept said cartridges? Though,that said,many NATO guns can use USSR ammo,but not the other way around.

I wonder if magazine-fed machine guns/LSW's exist that take 7.62mm NATO,or equivalent...

I dunno about 7.62 NATO exactly but WWII, and fallout tactics/NV are full of them

-The Bren Gun had a reputation of being something of a laser,in its heyday; Alarmingly accurate in a seasoned operator's hands.

-The Chauchat is an unmitigated disaster of a gun; The things were so astonishingly unreliable that they had a reputation of going runaway entirely without provocation,on top of disassembling themselves at even the slightest provocation,such as,oh,I dunno... Going runaway.

-The Lewis Mk. II? If it's good enough for fighter planes,it's good enough for me! Though,a pan magazine might complicate infantry use.

-The BAR never used magazines larger than 20 or so rounds; To go bigger,you'd have to use a belt,and that loops us back to the M60 argument. That said,I love the thing.

-The Bren Gun had a reputation of being something of a laser,in its heyday;

-The Chauchat is an unmitigated disaster of a gun; The things were so astonishingly unreliable that they had a reputation of going runaway entirely without provocation,on top of disassembling themselves at even the slightest provocation,such as,oh,I dunno... Going runaway.

-The Lewis Mk. II? If it's good enough for fighter planes,it's good enough for me! Though,a pan magazine might complicate infantry use.

-The BAR never used magazines larger than 20 or so rounds; To go bigger,you'd have to use a belt,and that loops us back to the M60 argument. That said,I love the thing.

-The Chauchat was primarily a disaster with american troops when converted over to thier ammunition and issued without field manuals, but it worked adequately in its original chambering when operated by troops properly trained in its repair and maintenance as was the case with the french there were even plans to introduce a closed magazine but the war ended. Considering the alternate time line shenanigans that make German last-ditch assault-rifles common place in parts of the Fallout-US its possible that the Chauchat could have received similar improvements and adoption, or alternately scavengers pinched them from museums and wasteland workshops developed a working copy because Its long recoil based self loading action as also found on early automatic/semiauto weapons lends itself well to black powder and dirty ammunition as it holds the bolt closed longer to more thoroughly burn the powder so the only thing that gets dirty from firing is the barrel. And of course it just looks a lot more unique than an AR-10 with a beta-c mag.

-Lewis gun. A pan mag is also be pretty unique so that no two guns have too similar a profile

What notation will you use for ammunition types that share the same diameter,but have different lengths? While it might be most accurate to use "true full measurements" notation,that can,and will get confusing,and fast. There are multiple 5.56mm rounds,but of wildly different lengths,and used by all sorts of different guns. The same can be said of 7.62mm and even 9mm. Maybe use notation like "7.62mm NATO" and "7.62mm USSR" for such things; Give the diameter,and then the family of guns that can accept said cartridges? Though,that said,many NATO guns can use USSR ammo,but not the other way around.

I don't think the ammo or gun variety in WARS is likely to be super-crazy-exotic enough for that to be an issue. It will probably be something like "5.56x45mm (AP)" to use the armour-piercing variant as an example. I'd like to get relevant official designations in there where possible too (e.g. 5.56x45mm SS109 (AP)... if SS109 is an armour-piercing round), but it might depend on what fits in the UI.

How much majiggery would it take to turn the vanilla game's "assault rifle" into a Lewis Mk.II? And,perhaps more importantly,do you have a mind to do it?

EDIT: Also,since it's on my mind; Do you plan on implementing something like See-Through Combat Scopes,by Henkspamadres into WARS? Pretty much imagine reflex sights with levels of zoom ranging from 1* (No magnification) to 8* (Long scopes) with customizable crosshairs and reticules,with some weapons having Recon and Night Vision options. They even offer a resource so modders can make their own combat scopes.

Personally,I consider that mod to be essential; In the vanilla game,you have no real medium range option for sights; Iron sights and reflex sights had no zoom,and scopes had too much zoom,on top of being comparatively slow to deploy,restricting your peripheral vision,and the scope sway made properly using a medium range weapon,like a full auto rifle,astonishingly difficult. Combat scopes address this.

I dunno; Something to think about,at least.

Edited by Moldy

I think it would take a lot; the vanilla Assault Rifle is a real mess. If I was going to add a Lewis Mk II I probably wouldn't use anything from the vanilla Assault Rifle - but it's something I'm unlikely to have time for in any case, I'm afraid.

I've mentioned this before (but it's a big thread, so...), but I don't really like the way the See-Through Scopes Framework works. It's not the author's fault, it's just the way the game engine is. At the same time I'm not a particular fan of the way the vanilla telescopic sights work either - for the short-medium range at least, like you were saying. So if I was going to do anything with See-Through Scopes, 4x magnification scopes would be the most likely; we'll see.

yeah, it's better to just ditch that model altogether along with its role (late stage heavy spraying thing) in the game.

I wonder what realistic guns can still look good when used by Super Mutants? I can see the Tompson variants and maybe shotguns, although that will heavily change difficulties when fighting them.

One minor suggestion: Do you think it's a good idea to give high-level Far Harbor COA Zealots some more pre-war guns other than the VStG? To show these are looted from the pre-war base alongside the submarine, the game claims that Radium Rifles are modified from old world US marine rifles but that doesn't make much sense.

Edited by teslashark

Hello Antistar, how is evolving your mod? I hope that at a good pace, as a follower of yours and your mod I am glad that everything is going well :happy:

How is the mod progressing? Well, here's the M79 in-game:

- M79 Grenade Launcher 01
- M79 Grenade Launcher 02
- M79 Grenade Launcher 03
- M79 Grenade Launcher 04

To recap, this is from the M79 Grenade Launcher -- Standalone mod (used with permission of course), with some changes by me, as usual.

In the second image;

- Top-left is the basic, extremely cut-down version.
- Top-right is the "Pirate Gun" configuration. (That's largely the reason a reflex sight is an option.)
- Bottom is the traditional M79 configuration.

The third image shows a comparison between the sawn-off and standard barrels. Yes, if you saw the front of the barrel off, you lose the iron-sights. That shouldn't be too much of an issue here, though; it's not exactly a sniper rifle. Also you can attach that reflex sight.

The reflex sight is based on Kaskad's Docter Sight mesh, with textures by me. It's the one I did way back at the start of the project, originally for the Glock. (Though I always planned to use it on other weapons too.)

One minor suggestion: Do you think it's a good idea to give high-level Far Harbor COA Zealots some more pre-war guns other than the VStG? To show these are looted from the pre-war base alongside the submarine, the game claims that Radium Rifles are modified from old world US marine rifles but that doesn't make much sense.

I haven't played Far Harbour yet, so sshhh - careful with the spoilers. ;) I'm not playing the game again until WARS is up to a certain point (the initial release, basically). Once I've played Far Harbour and Nuka World, there may be things I'll tweak in WARS based on having more of an idea of context. I remember doing something similar with some of the New Vegas DLC, notably Dead Money. I made the WMX-DM add-on before playing Dead Money, and then went back and changed things a bit in an update once I'd played it.

But yes, that doesn't make sense. The Volkssturmgewehr is a German last ditch weapon from the end of World War II - definitely not a US weapon.