[WIP] Weapon Addition and Replacement Suite (WARS)

antistar

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry for not reading 90 pages but I just want to say that if you still haven't decided for a weapon framework to integrate, I want to vote for AmmoTweaks. I've found it to be the best emulation of FNVs weapon handling, which arguably was the pinnacle of Fallout weapon gameplay excluding actually shooting. It also provides all calibers you might want for the guns you've stated are going to be part of WARS. I think. I'm no gun expert. It feels right though. :smile:

Other than that, wow. Dis gon' be gud.

//edit: Having read a few pages more, it seems you're also going to rebalance a lot of values. Do you intend to be compatible to popular overhauls such as Horizon or FROST?

Edited by payl0ad

I wouldn't expect anyone to read the whole ~90 pages, but I might've thought you'd at least read my very last post - in which I mentioned using AmmoTweaks. :P

But thanks. :)

On compatibility; no, WARS is itself an overhaul so it's not really aiming to be compatible with anything. It's going to change what it needs to change. Other overhauls - like FROST and Horizon - are especially likely to conflict.

Now,I realize it's not wholly within the scope of the mod,but I'm wondering how much it'd disrupt balance if the player's able to build Phalanx CIWS turrets for their settlements.

But,more on topic; Antistar,I've used your mods quite extensively (In fact,you might remember me from the WMX comments section),so I know you're very good at what you do. That said; How exhaustive will your QA phase be? Fallout 4's already riddled with issues,and precious few people want to juggle even more of them.

The vanilla automated turrets look sort of like miniature versions of the Phalanx CIWS, come to think of it... But yeah, I'm not putting those in. ;)

There will most likely be a closed beta for WARS before it's released to the public, like I've done for a lot of my mods. I'm sure it will need it; WARS is a lot more complex than WMX for example. Anyway I'll put the call out for volunteers when the time comes. :)

As a general update; I've been going back and tweaking materials for all the weapons; previously I was just using mostly the same settings across most weapons (though different for things like metal vs plastic, of course), but now I'm giving them a bit more care.

I've also made a start on the dynamic naming overhaul for weapons. It's similar to Better Armor and Weapon naming and sorting, but with some changes. (I appreciate Ruddy88 and Bottletopman allowing me to use it as a starting point.)

The vanilla automated turrets look sort of like miniature versions of the Phalanx CIWS, come to think of it... But yeah, I'm not putting those in. :wink:

There will most likely be a closed beta for WARS before it's released to the public, like I've done for a lot of my mods. I'm sure it will need it; WARS is a lot more complex than WMX for example. Anyway I'll put the call out for volunteers when the time comes. :smile:

As a general update; I've been going back and tweaking materials for all the weapons; previously I was just using mostly the same settings across most weapons (though different for things like metal vs plastic, of course), but now I'm giving them a bit more care.

I've also made a start on the dynamic naming overhaul for weapons. It's similar to Better Armor and Weapon naming and sorting, but with some changes. (I appreciate Ruddy88 and Bottletopman allowing me to use it as a starting point.)

That sounds fantastic

This seems an appropriate question now that you're into the esp work. As far as combat balance goes, how much are you planning to edit? I know there won't be any level based hp scaling, and the overall design princpile is to make combat much faster and more realistic. A lot of factors play into this, like overall hp levels for different races, armor & damage values, etc. HP levels would be fine to include in this mod as it seems not many mods alter them except other overhauls, and damage levels are obviously a part of a weapon rebalance. There could be a LOT of incompatibilities when it comes to armor though. Personally I like the philosophy of you're most likely screwed if you get shot by anything other than a .22lr unless you have some kind of armor; to be balanced at all with the weapon changes would probably require a rework of armor values. Now that I think about it though this could also be part of the PEACE counterpart mod you've mentioned before. Most of this is moot though if you're balancing damage values based on the vanilla HP & armor systems.

At some point I really need to update the first couple of posts with more detail on what WARS will change. That's still being hammered out, however; one of the reasons I haven't done it yet.

Weapon/ammo damage will definitely change - as will HP values, yeah. I'm hoping to avoid editing clothes and armour in WARS, though I am planning to edit them in PEACE. I'm not sure yet if that will involve sweeping changes to damage resistance values - so far the planned edits are to things like carry weight bonuses and giving clothes/armour more believable bonuses. Like with WARS, trying to get away from the feeling that they've been magically enchanted. E.g. no more military fatigues increasing your strength somehow, or glasses making you more intelligent. Maybe more clothes will give an AGI bonus if they look easy to move around in though, or a CHA bonus if they look impressive, or whatever.

The vanilla automated turrets look sort of like miniature versions of the Phalanx CIWS, come to think of it... But yeah, I'm not putting those in. :wink:

There will most likely be a closed beta for WARS before it's released to the public, like I've done for a lot of my mods. I'm sure it will need it; WARS is a lot more complex than WMX for example. Anyway I'll put the call out for volunteers when the time comes. :smile:

I didn't mean to imply that I'm looking to help you test; While I'd love to,I lack both the time,and the hardware. My computer can barely handle Skyrim.

Also,I have a question; Why did you spring for the Barrett for your .50 sniper rifle? There's plenty,like the MacMillan TAC-.50,to use the example I'm most familiar with (Canadian Armed Forces). I'm not asking you to change it,of course; The work's already been done.

Well there's a few reasons. One is that the "Light Fifty" was adopted by the US military, so it fits the American setting quite well. It's also a clear step up from the Makeshift AMR into another tier, since it's semi-auto.

Finally it meant I could use Syn's beautiful resource for it. ;)