[WIP] Weapon Addition and Replacement Suite (WARS)

antistar

Personally, I think we could do away with magical effects altogether.

The big problem with the vanilla game is that Beth puts the 'magical effect' on the weapon rather than the ammo type. So we have explosive rifles as opposed to rifles firing exploding rounds.

Things like Explosive, Irradiated, Incendiary, Plasma Infused, etc. should be handled via the ammo - which I think you already have covered, right? (So many elements to the mod that I can'r remember all the features. :laugh: )

Penetrating could be interpreted as armor-piercing rounds.

Even Two-Shot could be reinterpreted as some sort of fragmenting round.

Crippling and Kneecapper type effects could be automatically added to shotgun shells. It's a unique effect for this type of scattered ammo. This would make shotguns a genuinely useful weapon type - right now they're useless unless you add the Explosive effect, at which point they become way overpowered.

Of course, Never-ending is a lost cause - and good riddance.

Other magical effects are already covered by things like receivers. Powerful and Rapid are examples of this, i.e. Advanced, Heavy, Rapid receivers, Hair Triggers, etc.

Many of your new ranged legendary effects sound good, but even they could be a result of Barrels, Stocks, and other moddable categories.

As long as it's possible/practical, anything unambiguously "magical" is coming out - no question there. Effects that should be on ammo variants rather than the weapons themselves are going there. This mentioned in the OP actually.

This is also covered in the OP, but I've simplified the receiver options. Now there's just five representing different condition levels: Awful (-20% DAM), Poor (-10% DAM), Average (No effect), Good (+10% DAM), Perfect (+20% DAM). Those exact numbers may change, but this is designed to fit in with other changes in WARS. (E.g. perks no longer increasing ranged damage, HP no longer scaling with level.)

Some weapon mods do affect the same things as the potential new Legendary effects I posted, but that can't really be avoided without scrapping the Legendary system entirely, and I don't want to do that. I like the idea of a procedural "unique" weapon/armour system - I just don't like most of the effects Bethsoft went with. The effects I'm considering should create weapons with quirks (somewhat) beyond the limits of what you can get with weapon mods, which is what I think the Legendary system is good for. They're just not going to turn them into magic wands anymore, that's all. ;)

What about instead of legendary weapons, legendary mods? like the sacrificial blade on the machete, or Lorenzo's artifact on the gamma gun. Just a set of weapon parts the player shouldn't be able to produce themselves at a workbench?

Unique weapon mods is an idea I've tossed around before and may come back to - because I do like it. It could potentially add on a lot of extra work though, depending on how it's handled - and I've got a lot on my plate as it is.

Good work on the legendary effects. Dont forget there's a big vats&critical mechanic in this game. It is a feature making fallout distinct from other shooter games(that your thought was based on I guess),but still something that should be considered about when rebalancing the whole combat system. Unless WARS aim to make VATS&Crits build significantly weaker. Just my personal opinions.

So think about effects or perks like this "doing more critical damage" "easier to make critical hits(or fills meter faster)" . Some guns just are a little more accurate and handy than others, making you do more overall damage in some ways(for example hitting eyes or peanus more possibly), thats the "scientific" explanation of it.

BTW i ve been tracking this for a time.It is amazing you did almost all the texturing, maybe animating, scripting and overall balancing on your own. After this Xmas im gonna be learning more on making mods. And after I prove to be more skillful, maybe i can share some burdens if needed.

Ugh... VATS, right. I've never really used VATS - even going back as far as FO3. I think it was a brilliant marketing move - in one stroke referencing the turn-based combat of the original Fallout games while also making first-person combat easier for people using a gamepad - but that's the problem, really. It obviates the first-person combat. I think it's pandering to the console crowd and kind of at odds with what is - to me - one of the main appeals of Bethsoft's games; their immersive, first-person nature. In my opinion. MY IMMERSION, etc.

I'm not sure yet what I'll be doing re: VATS. In the draft readme for WARS I've got Requirements (e.g. FO4, Far Harbour, Nuka-World, AmmoTweaks, etc) and Recommendations; things like "disable the cross-hairs", "play on Survival Mode (with a mod that lets you customise it)" and also to not use VATS. Maybe to use a bullet-time mod instead.

I may nerf VATS and crit-related things, and I may try to make VATS-related perks do something else - I don't know at this stage. I'm not up to that part yet.

And thanks - but while there's a lot I did do all myself, there's also a lot of other people's work going into WARS; like it says in the OP, and like I say when I post screenshots.

Someone earlier asked about the HK416. Maybe what you could try instead is players could find legendary weapons more of in the form of more advanced variants of the weapons that you're going to feature in the mod. For example, the HK416 would be a legendary weapon. It would basically just be a re-skin of the AR15 but feature higher stats in certain categories such as greater durability and accuracy to reflect how the HK416 is a more advanced variant of the AR15. I believe you're going to implement the AK74M and AKM into WARS so the legendary counterpart could be an AK-12 with higher stats since that the AK-12 is the most advanced and modern variant of the AK platform rifles. The FN FAL's legendary counterpart could be the DSA SA58 OSW. The USAS-12's legendary counterpart could be something like an AA-12. The MP5's legendary counterpart could be a Sig-Sauer MPX. Beretta M9's legendary counterpart could be a Beretta M9A3 or Px4 Storm. Etc etc etc.

Granted, this would mean that you would need to make new textures and models for these legendary guns. You would likely also have to make adjustments to the animations to reflect the legendary guns too. Probably even have to make brand new animations as well. That's the biggest problem that I have with this suggestion. You would have to put in a lot more work into implementing this. It would probably just be better overall to remove legendary effects altogether.

As you say (and like I said), the problem is just the huge amount of work it would take for something very similar to a weapon already in WARS. I'd love to have weapon variety on par with the Blue Sun mod for 7.62 High Calibre, but that's not going to happen; not at the quality level required for a game like FO4.

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't know if you have answered this before but is there any chance of more light machine guns and light support weapons as the game has such a chronic lack of them. P.S Bren gun PLZ :smile:

That might be because fallout doesn't really model the advantages of such vs. just sticking a big drum mag on an assault rifle.

Anyway the forum has this great topic searching feature. I found this just searching for LSW for a minute.

Edited by passinglurker

I can accept some magic effect legendary weapons ( like the Zhu-Rong pistol in Fallout 3, which fire incendiary rounds ) as unqiue reward of puzzle solved/quest/map explore, just like those truly unqiue weapons in Fallout 3 and NV. But I guessed that require a hell of a lot of work, so forget about it *sigh*

As for the LMGs, I thought the vanilla Fallout 4 "assault rifle" can act as one, since its original name is "machine gun"

I can accept some magic effect legendary weapons ( like the Zhu-Rong pistol in Fallout 3, which fire incendiary rounds ) as unqiue reward of puzzle solved/quest/map explore, just like those truly unqiue weapons in Fallout 3 and NV. But I guessed that require a hell of a lot of work, so forget about it *sigh*

As for the LMGs, I thought the vanilla Fallout 4 "assault rifle" can act as one, since its original name is "machine gun"

He just totally dislike the look of that firearm ,so sadly there is no way for vanilla AR showing up in WARS.There will definitely be a few machineguns IRL to take over the role. And maybe I will make another patch to add that asskickr back to the game ,coming with some new animations.

Zhu-Rong didn't fire incendiary rounds so much as it fired normal FMJ or whatever, but somehow turned them into "fire bullets" in the process. It was part of its fiction so it didn't bother me too much at the time, but I still thought it was pretty silly.

FO4 does have a few truly unique weapons really, for what it's worth - e.g. the Cryolator, Broadsider and Alien Blaster.

Unfortunately the Assault Rifle/Machine Gun is a mess of a Frankengun, so I don't want it in the game!

Part of me wonders which version of the Lewis Gun you'd spring for,if you've ever implemented it. I recall you saying "No" to that idea,due to time constraints,and the lack of a desirable resource. The thing used .303 British,.30-06 Springfield,and 7.92*57mm Mauser. If I recall,the Lewis implemented by Fallout: Wanderer's Edition used .30-06 Springfield.

Oh,and it was also used to wage war on emus in Australia. Did you guys win that war,Antistar? I've heard conflicting reports.