[WIP] Weapon Addition and Replacement Suite (WARS)

antistar

About the Mossberg; Would pumps impact firing speed? Like,say,tuning the "draw weight",for lack of a better term,to make it easier,and thus faster,to cycle?

In WARS I'm simplifying receivers to have five omods representing different states of repair; Awful, Poor, Average, Good, Perfect. For most weapons, the awful and poor receivers have a damage penalty, the average receiver has no penalty/bonus, and the good and perfect receivers have a damage bonus.

Currently the Mossberg receivers also affect the fire speed and reload speed (and VATS cost - for now at least). Same with the China Lake and M79 (sans fire speed since it's a single-shot). It's definitely a game mechanics conceit, but the idea is that the weapons are all rusty, gummed up, worn out, etc on the inside - or clean, in good condition and nicely oiled up - or somewhere in between.

List of weights in the spoiler.

Barrels

18.5" bare - 1.94

24" with rifle sights - 2.19

28" ribbed - 2.81

Forend/Pump - 0.81

Internals (bolt, levers, shell lift) - 0.75

Trigger - 0.28

5 round mag tube - 0.53

Receiver - 0.72

Heat Shield - 0.35

Pistol grip (synth) - 0.31

Full Stock (synth) - 1.16

Shell, 2-3/4", 7-1/2 Shot size, Trap/Skeet load - 0.094

Total (24" barrel, full stock) - 6.44

These were done with a $20 kitchen scale from Walmart so they might not be absolutely accurate, but they're definitely close.

In my experience, you'd only find 14 inch barrels on highly custom (and also illegal without the proper paperwork and tax stamp here in the US) guns; the shortest legal length is 18.5", and that sticks barely 2"/5cm past the end of a standard 5 round mag tube. Most standard hunting/clay shooting guns will use between 24 and 30 inch ones.

BTW Antistar, for someone who's never touched a real firearm, I'd say your work is pretty darn impressive since your weapon mods are easily the most realistic that I've seen.

Thanks very much. :) I'll have a look at tweaking the values I've got.

I think laws relating to things like barrel length are most likely a moot point in Fallout's post-apocalyptic setting, so I just went with whatever, really. ;) Whatever seemed like it would best suit a survivor in the Wasteland, at least.

And thanks - I just do a lot of research!

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As a small side request, which help realism and immersion a lot, please have npcs hold the weapons facing straight forward. I think it's just a simple error in weapons mods, but I have noticed that a lot of npcs hold weapons at a downward angle when firing. Once I noticed it, it annoyed me to no end.

As a small side request, which help realism and immersion a lot, please have npcs hold the weapons facing straight forward. I think it's just a simple error in weapons mods, but I have noticed that a lot of npcs hold weapons at a downward angle when firing. Once I noticed it, it annoyed me to no end.

I don't suppose you have any links to more info on that? I've never heard of that before. If it's something that only happens when firing though, then it sounds like it could be an animation issue - kind of outside my area of expertise.

You're right, I think that might be more of an animation issue. The hunting shotgun has this problem. When equipped by npc, they hold and fire it at a downward angle.

Do you have a WIP build for testing? I wouldnt mind checking it out, see if I can lend a hand.

No, it's too heavy a WIP, the file-size too large, and my Internet connection too Australian for that. I am planning a closed beta once all the features are in though, and I'll appreciate people's help then. :)

You're right, I think that might be more of an animation issue. The hunting shotgun has this problem. When equipped by npc, they hold and fire it at a downward angle.

Alright, thanks. The Mossberg 590 is currently using the Hunting Shotgun animations, though Hitman is working on altering them to better fit it. I haven't put the Mossberg in enemies' hands yet, but I'll keep an eye out for that issue.

Alright, thanks. The Mossberg 590 is currently using the Hunting Shotgun animations, though Hitman is working on altering them to better fit it. I haven't put the Mossberg in enemies' hands yet, but I'll keep an eye out for that issue.

I had this same issue when I was creating a replacer for the laser weapons. I was using more assault rifle animations for them than the long rifle vanilla ones but somehow in 3rd person it like tried to mix the two I think. It left the player holding the pistol grip but the barrel went right through the forward hand and pointed at the ground when firing. I never figured it out because it just went away. I left that problem for later and if I had to guess my load order and merged patch cleaned it up. but you guys are probably testing the build on own.

I guess Im just saying if you figure it out I'll keep an eye out for your post.

This bug happened to the wattz laser rifle mod and one user suggested swapping out some animation for another one I can't remember the details but it is in the comments section there somewhere recently. Also the nuka world animations for AK has this problem too the gun is aiming down instead of forward in 3rd person and it even does it on the player too.

I just had a bit of a run around shooting with the AK in third-person and didn't notice any problems, for what it's worth. That was with Hitman's replacer "the charging handle goes on the other side, guys" animations though.

I have no idea why it was done this way, but I think the records for the way a player in 3rd person holds a weapon and how NPC hold them are different. For example, the sniper mosin weapon mod is held fine in 3rd person for the player's character, but when equipped on a NPC, it is held immediately at a downward pointed angle. Shiny Hax's deagle, which isn't released on nexus, is held fine in 3rd person on the player, but when NPC hold the weapon, the gun magazine clips through the receiver and displays the bullets.