Question about vikings

Wraithofdoom

Vikings are supposed to use only axes, why ? the sword is clearly a superior weapon, why is it they used axes ? the weapon is mainly a piece of wood with a tiny piece of metal barely put together (in comparison to swords), i could find out they used axes by searching, but it didnt say why they used them over swords, maybe some of you know.

Sorry for any grammar errors english is not my first language.

Who said the Vikings only used axes? The Vikings were renowned for their swords the style of which does not actually appear in the game of Skyrim. I hope that somebody will eventually do a true Viking sword for the game. That is my wish.

Rabbit

They used both, as well as spears and a few other weapons as well. Axes were probably more popular as swords were much more expensive and also require more training and skill before you become an effective swordsman. In that era, anyone could swing an ax.

True, the axe was their prefered weapon, but they were skilled with swords too. However with the axe they were absolutely virituose.

We have a story of an old king, Erik Blodaxe. He once swung his axe so hard, that he ckopped both legs off his opponent. :sick: Of cause stories could be well exagerated at that time too. :D

wow really ? i always thought they were axe users (like only axe users), i recently searched for info on their fighting style (skyrim recandled my interest in vikings) and it was all about axes, i thought they only used that, even if mount and blade does have a "nordic sword". I think the expensive and hard to make point may be valid, but then again it seems lords used them too ! i may have read rubbish though, you never know, it was just weird for me that such an awesome people that were so feared and conquered so much apparently did so using axes.

Both legs you say ? that is hardcore if it actually happened.

Edited by Wraithofdoom

Not to go too much against the grain here, but swords were always preferred over axes, historically. Swords were the symbol of the warrior class, always have been and still are today symbolically. Swords were a sign of wealth and social status, especially in the North where much of the iron/steel was imported from other parts of the world, even blades were imported and fit into local-made hilts. Swords were much harder to craft, you see. Axes are simple, any blacksmith can do that, but the art of sword making was a much rarer affair. It takes a lot to make an iron-cored, steel-edged blade like the Germanic/Scandinavian tribes did. Any thrall could have an axe, but only a warrior would have a sword.

Swords are/were the sign of the warrior, for no other weapon was designed solely to kill another man. All other weapons (axes, spears, knives, clubs can even beat grain) have other uses.

So, no. The Vikings did not prefer axes, it was just that everybody had an axe, it was something you grew up with as everybody either had or lived on a farm aside from rare exceptions, so you were familiar with it (and warrior cultures are famous for using domestic tools as weapons). Swords were rare, expensive, sought-after, and often good swords were heirlooms of the family, the hilt if not the blade passed on down the generations.

You would see more axes for these reasons, perhaps, but axes were never preferred over a sword.

vikings used _spears_ mostly

farmers, civilians etc drafted into war would use a spear, a wood-chopping axe, or a hunting bow, but most commonly an axe.

ive no idea where you're getting your viking information, wikipedia will tell you about spears, bows and swords almost right away.

viking swords were rare at the time, cus of their high price-tag, and are STILL found in abundance. spear tips are naturally very common, much more common than axes.

1. spears

2. axes and bows

3. swords

i would say, would be the list of most common viking weapons. on top the cheapest, and most easily available weapon for the drafted soldier. on the bottom, the most expensive to create.

as for armor, your usual drafted soldier would wear no armor at all, or at best leather. custom-made reindeer leather armor has been described as very resistant, making sword-blades simply bounce off (snorri sagas, the story of the stiklestad battle)

a wealthy warrior would wear mail armor, and goggled helmets