Draugr Overhaul

InuyashaFE

Formula for scary:

* Atmosphere.

- Replace standard fantasy orchestra soundtrack with silence, occasionally inserting garbled whisper or distant:

- Moans.

- Screams of torture.

- Incoherent ramblings.

- Crying, sobbing, and weeping.

- Nord lullaby's (be creative.)

- Tombs are dark, torches barely cover small radius. This goes without saying.

- Writings on the wall:

- Ancient Nord warnings etched in blood.

- The ramblings of former explorers driven mad.

- False or nonsensical directions.

* Enemies

- Create a near immortal, terribly powerful, but terribly slow moving (and attacking) enemy. Make them easily distinguishable from other Draugar (red eyes instead of blue and different armor for example.) Force the player to exploit nearby traps to stun and perhaps kill them. Always be generous with rewards.

- Create an eyeless "bull" Draugar that charges with wild abandon in a narrow line at enemies (would need new animation.)

- Create a Draugar with a Soul Gem in his chest. If the Soul Gem is not pickpocketed, the Draugar will explode (like Fire Trap) when killed.

- Create dozens of unarmed, emaciated Draugar that are easily felled but spread some terrible, degenerative disease moments after their death. Also, they should vomit like the Afflicted.

- Create an invisible enemy, only visible by the moans it makes when it digs it's claws into your armor.

* Extras

- A trapdoor that sends the player into a cell with another graverobber inside. A disembodied voice says they can have their freedom if one kills the other. The graverobber complies.

- Insert dialog of a disembodied voice arguing with himself whether or not to eat to his dead companion.

- Insert dialog of a disembodied voice screaming in pain as he eats his own flesh.

Sweet dreams. :biggrin:

I'll consider some of it, especially the soul gem idea, it's kind of similar to the briarhearts... Hm...

The Trap Door idea isn't bad, sounds like something a draugr deathlord would whip up, I'll think about it but I'd need a good voice.

As for the ambience, I don't know, a garbled whisper added to the current ambience would sound nice but I'm iffy on spoken lines from people you'd think you could find.

I'm going to bed right now, but I'd be glad to give you a sample tomorrow. In the meantime, try to find channels on YouTube of Burial Tombs in Morrowind. That's some creepy stuff even in vanilla.

This is the sample. Sorry I'm late.

Don't worry about it, plenty of time.

Anyway, I like the sample. Very nice work, did you happen to run it through some software before you uploaded?

I think it'd make great ambience but the volume would need to be turned down a bit to blend with the other ambient noises. Combined with the rest, it'd add perfectly.

Edited by InuyashaFE

Anyway, I like the sample. Very nice work, did you happen to run it through some software before you uploaded?

http://www.howtogeek.com/63091/how-to-recreate-popular-effects-by-reversing-audio-in-audacity/

I (somewhat) followed these instructions to replicate the effects. I invented Norse sounding words (and maybe a little Latin, not sure) to use as a base. If you'd like more anymore, just let me know.

Edited by Darksun45230

http://www.howtogeek.com/63091/how-to-recreate-popular-effects-by-reversing-audio-in-audacity/

I (somewhat) followed these instructions to replicate the effects. I invented Norse sounding words (and maybe a little Latin, not sure) to use as a base. If you'd like more anymore, just let me know.

Very interesting stuff, I'll have to try it out myself. Excellent work.

I think once we start modding, we'll need some more resources, personally I'd like to hear some distorted bloodcurdling screams while I'm in the ruin, but with volume turned down to make it sound as if it's distant. That isn't necessary as of now, so you can take your time producing clips if you like.

In my personal opinion, I do think some of the clips we use should be just a tad deeper. Not necessarily all of them, but things of the nature of the sample you sent me, I think that would make it sound a bit more authentic.

Thanks again.

http://soundcloud.com/qwerty45230/sets/skyrim-burial-ambience

I finished two recordings. One is Ghostly Moaning (with blowing wind to inspire the idea that the voices of the dead are being carried by unpleasant gusts) and the other is a deeper version of Ghostly Whisperings. Tell me what you think.